More Carburetor Issues?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

smillerlou

More Carburetor Issues?

Post by smillerlou »

I know I've posted about this before, but I'm still having problems with my scooter sputtering especially when I first start riding it. I've taken it to Scooter Works (in Chicago) and also another mechanic after Scooter Works didn't help at all. Scooter Works said they cleaned the Carburetor, but the other mechanic said it was still filthy when he looked at it. He cleaned it out and also cleaned the air filter. It is definitely working better, but it still sputters and feels like it is going to stall out. The longer I ride it and the more warmed up it is the better.

It only really happens in 1st and 2nd gear. The way I get around it is to pull the clutch and rev the engine a little bit before switching gears. I'd really like to get this fixed, but I don't even know what the problem is (pretty sure it is still the carburetor).

I have the 2 year warranty at Scooter Works, but they seem completely worthless.

Anyone live downtown Chicago that likes to tinker with Stellas? :lol:
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Silly question perhaps, but are you using the choke on startup? If so, how long are you leaving it open?
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
stASH

Post by stASH »

I too had a sputtering problem on my 2012 4T. My shop attempted all sorts of fuel-related solutions. Re-jetting, fuel lines, etc. Each attempt improved things but didn't solve the sputtering problem. Ultimately they ended up replacing the coil and, viola! Problem solved. The sputtering was a lack of spark, not fuel. Might be worth looking in to.
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

@az_slynch: I sometimes use it, but it doesn't really seem to help much. Should I always use the choke and if so how long should I have it out for? I've never had to use the clutch before this summer. I thought it was for only when it was cold out.

@stASH: Thanks! I'll have them take a look at the coil. crossing my fingers that is the issue.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Bring it to your mechanic and ask him to shim the needle with a small washer. It only takes a couple minutes to do.

The Stellas come set extremely lean from the factory and this contributes to very poor performance when cold. A shim riches it up a bit.

I don't even have to use the choke when I start up the Stella 4T we have in the showroom.
smillerlou

Post by smillerlou »

thanks for the tip avescoots1134. I never had to use the choke either until this summer. I got it last summer. I'll take it in and have them do that.