Choosing the right helmet: half, 3/4 or full face?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

supercatwoman2003

Choosing the right helmet: half, 3/4 or full face?

Post by supercatwoman2003 »

Just completed my motorcycle safe course this weekend and received my M endorsement. A huge topic for part of the class was gear. jackets, gloves boots, the right pants, etc and HELMETS. I already purchased and am using a half helmet that meets DOT standards. During the course the instructor kept stating how a full face was preferred because in many accidents its your face that takes a beating and having full face would protect you more. so here I am doubting my helmet, and looking at the prices of the full face ones is making me sweat. $200 for the same pattern of the one current one. Also she mentioned Snell and a DOT helmet, but those are like $500. I need some impute.

Please give me your reasons for having either: half, 3/4 or a full faced Helmet. But don't put someone else down for their choice. I'm looking for a rounded census.
BeefSupreme

Post by BeefSupreme »

I have a full face Sparx, very reasonably priced around $100, and a 3/4 HJC IS-33, with a face shield and flip down sun visor (around $140). The full face is my winter helmet or when I'll be doing some interstate miles. The 3/4 is my summer helmet. I definitely feel more protected with the full face but I have a larger field of vision and better hearing with the 3/4. There are trade offs for both types. Personally, i'd never do a 1/2 helmet or even a 3/4 without a face shield, that's where I draw the line. I've had enough kicked up rocks and beetles pelt my face shield to not even want to risk it, never mind thinking about my face sliding on some pavement.

Eventually i'd like to get a modular helmet when I find one with all the bells and whistles I want.
skipper20

Re: Choosing the right helmet: half, 3/4 or full face?

Post by skipper20 »

supercatwoman2003 wrote:Just completed my motorcycle safe course this weekend and received my M endorsement. A huge topic for part of the class was gear. jackets, gloves boots, the right pants, etc and HELMETS. I already purchased and am using a half helmet that meets DOT standards. During the course the instructor kept stating how a full face was preferred because in many accidents its your face that takes a beating and having full face would protect you more. so here I am doubting my helmet, and looking at the prices of the full face ones is making me sweat. $200 for the same pattern of the one current one. Also she mentioned Snell and a DOT helmet, but those are like $500. I need some impute.

Please give me your reasons for having either: half, 3/4 or a full faced Helmet. But don't put someone else down for their choice. I'm looking for a rounded census.
First of all, congrats on completing your MSF course. That's probably #1 in your priority list for safe riding. IMHO #2 is wearing the right helmet. My helmet of choice is a 3/4 with flip up visor. I've tried several full face helmets on for size but they don't seem to work with my eyeglasses and I feel claustrophobic in them. I had a nasty scooter accident 3 years ago on a Honda Elite 150 that I had just purchased (17 days in the hospital/rehab facility) and my 3/4 helmet with visor saved me from head and facial lacerations. The main impact happened on my upper left side where I suffered 5 broken ribs in 8 places and a partially collapsed left lung. It would have been worse if I had not been wearing my helmet. So, wear what feels right on you, 3/4 w/visor or fullface. But keep that 1/2 helmet as backup only. Again, congrats on the MSF course. Ride safe!

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

I'm an MSF instructor in my state as well as a full-face helmet wearer, so take this with a grain of salt. You can wear whatever you like, but it's good to have facts upon which to base your decision.

This is from a very old study done in Germany
34.6% of crashes studied that involved the helmet hitting something were on the front chin.

You can actually get the above graphic on an Icon helmet. I think it's pretty badass: http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon ... tic-helmet

And from the CDC: http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/m ... ntion.html

A full-face, DOT and Snell 2011 certified helmet needn't be expensive. Look for HJC CL-16. These helmets fit a variety of head shapes, meet both standards (Snell is much more difficult to achieve), and are bargain priced. Here's one style for $69 from a reputable dealer.
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/cl ... elmet.html

A more expensive helmet is NOT safer. The extra price gets you niceties like a more comfortable liner and lighter weight.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Because of the vulnerability of my chin (as above), I prefer a helmet with a chin bar. My favorite is the Nolan N43e or N44. It is well made and has an unusually large face opening so visibility is excellent. It has a good face screen and a built in sun shade. Also comes in quite an array of colors. All in all a nice helmet.
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 2034 times
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

I own both a full face helmet and a 3/4 with full face shield. I started with the 3/4 helmet and used it for the MSF course I took and riding around for a while. I like it, but it had very little venting and my head got really hot in the summer.

So I started looking for a full face helmet and finally found one. It was on clearance for $40 with a retail price of $135. It also has a switch on the back to have LEDs light up (constant on, slow blink or fast blink) for nighttime visibility.

It had far better ventilation too and so my head stays fine in the heat or the cold.

I never felt "safe" with anything other than a 3/4 with a full face shield. I will say I feel even safer at higher speeds with the full face helmet.

I'm all for gearing up. As soon as I find decent pants that fit (I'm a hair over 5' and not big in clothing size) I'll be happy. I did get lucky and found both helmets on clearance due to my smaller size. Same with my armored jacket. They might be last years style but saving 70% is awesome for great quality gear.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I have all 3! Well, actually I have FIVE, but I have too many helmets...

I have my first half helmet that is 7 years old and is kept on the shelf as a keepsake. It's pretty worn out and was a Meijer clearance item in 2007.

I have 2 other half helmets. One is a Scorpion EXO-100 with flip down visor and cold weather skirt. The other is a HJC IS-2 with a face shield. This one I love best because I can ride around to the grocery store with protection from pesky night bugs. I use these for short, low speed cruises or errands.

My fav is my HJC IS-33 already mentioned. It is "almost" like wearing full face with a full face shield and inner sun glass shield. Thing is awesome.

Finally, my never worn but bought on clearance Scorpion EXO-700 full face which I may try out in the cold but putting on a full face helmet creeps me out beyond description. I am very claustrophobic anyway, but I am working on it.

:wink:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I never could get a good fit from a half helmet. I wear 3/4 in the summer and full face in the winter. Summers a very hot here, so I really wanted a half helmet.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

wheelbender6 wrote:I never could get a good fit from a half helmet. I wear 3/4 in the summer and full face in the winter. Summers a very hot here, so I really wanted a half helmet.
As odd as this sounds, my full face with all vents open is actually cooler than my 3/4 helmet is in the summer heat. I was sweating up a storm with my 3/4 helmet but I wound up finding a Gmax G68 on clearance that has amazingly good ventilation. I feel the air moving so much better than on my 3/4 helmet. So you might want to just look for a full face with great ventilation instead.

Like you I never found a good fit with a half helmet. I know it never felt secure enough on my head. I'm really smack between sizes too which doesn't help (nor does it that a lot of helmets are not made in XXS so I am limited to smaller XS instead mostly)
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Got my first scooter, a used 125 buddy, 2 months ago. I'm always working on the scooter, instead of riding it much. lol. But, am also shopping for a helmet.

Half helmets feel comfortable to me. The others don't.. I'm cautious, wear bright clothing, don't go fast, choose quiet streets, etc.
I plan to get a half helmet for the quiet routes I ride just for pleasure.

BUT, I will get a full helmet when I ride well enough to join traffic.
I hope I get the scooter running smoothly.
rick71454

Post by rick71454 »

Hello BuddyLand:

I use a Modular Helmet. It is a type of helmet that can change from a full-face helmet to an open-face helmet by flipping the front section up. The front section must be flipped back down when riding the bike.

One advantage to having a modular helmet is that it can be more comfortable to wear than a full helmet. It also allows for greater range of movement when the bike is stopped, since the rider can do things like look at maps or make phone calls without having to remove their helmet.

However, the disadvantage is that it is not as stable or sturdy as a full-face helmet, and certain impacts can--if forceful enough--dislodge the front section from the rest of the helmet.

Even with the issues of modular helmets, they are very nice and comfortable to wear, and are recommended if you are tired of a full-face helmet but would like to avoid getting an open-face or half helmet.

Rick71454
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

First, let me say that wearing protective gear, boots, gloves, padded jackets
heavy fabric pants, and a helmet should be a must do precaution. That said, I wear a half helmet with a face shield most of the time and a 3/4 at times. Reason? I have a cochlear implant and am deaf without it. I have a collection of full face helmets collected over the years trying to find one that does not dislodge the processor. Even wearing a 'stocking' cap does not help. You don't have to spend a fortune to buy a good full helmet with
a face shield so that would be my choice if it were not for the processor. :wink:
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
TVB

Post by TVB »

I wear a 3/4 helmet that I find a reasonable compromise between comfort, safety, and being able to wear with my glasses on.

I tried a half helmet for hot weather, but found it less comfortable than a 3/4. That's because a 3/4 helmet wraps around your head, holding itself on even before you tighten the chin strap*... but a half helmet relies entirely on the chin strap to stay on your head at all, and that additional pressure made the chin strap uncomfortable.

*I am not suggesting that anyone ride with it like that. That'd be unsafe and stupid.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

rick71454 wrote:However, the disadvantage is that it is not as stable or sturdy as a full-face helmet, and certain impacts can--if forceful enough--dislodge the front section from the rest of the helmet.
While I suppose this could be true, I do not know of any information which backs up that concern. You will notice that most Police motorcycle riders wear modular helmets. My major criticism of modulars is that they are heavy - convenient, but heavy.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Dooglas,

While I don't have direct proof of Rick's claim, I have observed something that might be worth looking at. Our friends over on MV clued me into the SHARP helmet testing protocol. When researching my new helmet I referred to that site for additional information.

In reviewing the testing result on various helmets, I noted that modular helmets (referred to as system helmets) tended to score lower marks than full-face helmets. After looking at the impact results for the two helmet types, I noticed that modular helmets didn't seem to fare as well as full-face helmets in side-impact testing. There were some really good modular, but helmets that I would have considered "good" didn't perform as well as anticipated in the side impact testing.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

For the complete nerds, the Brits have a website that reviews helmet safety: SHARP
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

As for modulars, I've converted and will never go back. I'm in love with my Caberg Duke which received a 5 star rating from SHARP. The Tourmax will be my next helmet.

Edit: 205'd!
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I have suomy vandal I purchased at local store for $175. 5 star sharp rating. The biggest advantage over my exo 400 is the suomy doesn't fog up. The vandal will fog in certain situations but it's very resistant and quick to unfog when moving.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

ucandoit wrote:BUT, I will get a full helmet when I ride well enough to join traffic.
I hope I get the scooter running smoothly.
If you ride, it is not a matter of if you will go down but a matter of when. I am the last person who will preach ATGATT but, if you wear a half helmet or 3/4 helmet and think that they are in any way protecting you, you are sorely mistaken.

I would much rather ride in traffic than on some side streets where I have to worry about kids walking out in front of me and people pulling out of driveways. Not to mention that as a rule, streets with a higher traffic count are better maintained.