Got new battery. Buddy still won't start. Just clicks.

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Xsquader

Got new battery. Buddy still won't start. Just clicks.

Post by Xsquader »

What are my options to try? Replaced the battery twice, ignition coil is new, cdi is new. What other things do I need to try? It's a Buddy 50 btw.

I think this is the part making the clicking noise.
Attachments
XsquadersElectricPart.jpg
XsquadersElectricPart.jpg (100.65 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

I resized your photo so folks can see what you're talking about.
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I can't remember from your prior threads: did you ever try jumping the starter motor itself from a 12v battery to see if it turns? This is to eliminate relay/fuses as a source of the problem.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
mukaiboston

Post by mukaiboston »

You can kick start it right? I have this exact same problem with my Buddy 50 and I'm pretty sure that it's the electric starter that has gone out which is separate from the CDI. I heard it's a $200 fix and, as long as I can kick start it, I'm not in a massive rush to repair it.
Xsquader

Post by Xsquader »

I can kick start it but the teeth are wore and need to be replaced.

PeteH - "I can't remember from your prior threads: did you ever try jumping the starter motor itself from a 12v battery to see if it turns? This is to eliminate relay/fuses as a source of the problem.

If only I knew how to do that and what exactly it means >_<

If it's a 200 dollar fix this scoot is going to be junked. I've already put 150 or so into it and I got it for the purpose of saving money because I don't have any.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Sounds like the starter to me. I agree with Pete about trying to bypass the relay.

That looks like the starter relay. The relay is there because too much power would need to go through the switch and then to the starter. The switch can't handle that load so basically the switch tells the relay "OK...send power right from the battery to the starter"

One thing you can try is by passing the relay. I usually do this with jumper cables. Using those eliminates any relays, fuses, shorts etc between the battery and the starter. First thing is disconnect the battery in the scooter.

Jump from a good 12v battery, engine in the donor vehicle NOT running. You can look at a wiring diagram to see where the pos and neg connections to the starter are. Make up the pos to pos jump and the neg to the donor. Touch the other neg to a ground on the scooter. You don't need to clamp it down...just touch to a ground and hold like you would the starter button. If the starter doesn't kick the motor over the starter is shot.

Good luck and keep us updated!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
siobhan

Post by siobhan »

If it's the starter, try this before replacing.
topic27970.html
My Buddy has been starting with no issues since I sandpapered the starter.
Xsquader

Post by Xsquader »

BuddyRaton wrote:Sounds like the starter to me. I agree with Pete about trying to bypass the relay.

That looks like the starter relay. The relay is there because too much power would need to go through the switch and then to the starter. The switch can't handle that load so basically the switch tells the relay "OK...send power right from the battery to the starter"

One thing you can try is by passing the relay. I usually do this with jumper cables. Using those eliminates any relays, fuses, shorts etc between the battery and the starter. First thing is disconnect the battery in the scooter.

Jump from a good 12v battery, engine in the donor vehicle NOT running. You can look at a wiring diagram to see where the pos and neg connections to the starter are. Make up the pos to pos jump and the neg to the donor. Touch the other neg to a ground on the scooter. You don't need to clamp it down...just touch to a ground and hold like you would the starter button. If the starter doesn't kick the motor over the starter is shot.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Do you know if there is a video guide anywhere? I wish automotive savvy people understood what it's like to read a wiring diagram for someone like me. It looks like a bunch of hieroglyphics lol. I am still looking around trying to figure out where the starter is and how to get to it >_<
Xsquader

Post by Xsquader »

I see the buddy 125 and my buddy 50 have VERY DIFFERENT starter relays. Any help locating a similar jump spot would be appreciated.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

You will not be using the relay so it doesn't matter which one is in there.

1. Disconnect the scooter battery and make sure the key is out of the ignition

2. Follow the wires from the relay to the starter.

3. Determine which wire is positive and which is negative.

4. Disconnect the relay wires from the starter

5. From a good 12v battery with the donor vehicle NOT running jump from the positive battery terminal to the positive starter terminal.

6. Connect a jumper to the negative donor battery terminal

7. Touch the other end of the negative jumper either to the starter negative terminal or to any ground in the scooter. There will be a spark, that is OK. Listen to what the starter does. Does it click or does it turn the motor over.

8. Report back and we will go from there!

Doing this bypasses things that could be potential trouble spots such as the kill switch, ignition switch and the relay. All you are doing is supplying the starter directly with power instead of having the ignition telling the starter button it is ok for the relay to allow current to flow from the battery.

Think of it this way. In your house you may have a light that plugs into an outlet controlled by a wall switch. You know...you flip the wall switch and the lamp turns on. One day you flip the switch and the light does'n come on. Where is the problem...at the switch or at the lamp? If you take the lamp to another outlet that you know works and is not controlled by a switch, plug it in and the light comes on you know the light works but there is a problem with the switch or the fuse (breaker) that controls the switch. By jumping the starter you aer basically plugging it directly into the an outlet that you know is good.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Xsquader

Post by Xsquader »

BuddyRaton wrote:You will not be using the relay so it doesn't matter which one is in there.

1. Disconnect the scooter battery and make sure the key is out of the ignition

2. Follow the wires from the relay to the starter.

3. Determine which wire is positive and which is negative.

4. Disconnect the relay wires from the starter

5. From a good 12v battery with the donor vehicle NOT running jump from the positive battery terminal to the positive starter terminal.

6. Connect a jumper to the negative donor battery terminal

7. Touch the other end of the negative jumper either to the starter negative terminal or to any ground in the scooter. There will be a spark, that is OK. Listen to what the starter does. Does it click or does it turn the motor over.

8. Report back and we will go from there!

Doing this bypasses things that could be potential trouble spots such as the kill switch, ignition switch and the relay. All you are doing is supplying the starter directly with power instead of having the ignition telling the starter button it is ok for the relay to allow current to flow from the battery.

Think of it this way. In your house you may have a light that plugs into an outlet controlled by a wall switch. You know...you flip the wall switch and the lamp turns on. One day you flip the switch and the light does'n come on. Where is the problem...at the switch or at the lamp? If you take the lamp to another outlet that you know works and is not controlled by a switch, plug it in and the light comes on you know the light works but there is a problem with the switch or the fuse (breaker) that controls the switch. By jumping the starter you aer basically plugging it directly into the an outlet that you know is good.

Thank you this was very informative. It's dark tonight but tomorrow I will see what I can do and get back to you.