help engine rebuild first time

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

marvin peters

help engine rebuild first time

Post by marvin peters »

Genuine roughhouse 2009. My first time attempting a top end rebuild. I have the Haynes guide and also a shop manual PDF of my scooter. So far I have removed the piston and rings and cylinder seem to be unscathed except for the small hole on top of the piston. I am planning on replacing piston, rings, needle bearing, wrist pen and gaskets. I need to buy some tools because I refuse to take it to a rip off artist any more. I want to know about flex honing to get my cross hatch pattern in cylinder. The cylinder was installed new from last rebuild 3000 miles back. I believe that the prima exhaust is making scoot run lean at higher rpms. This go round I am going to try go up a size on my main jet. I need recommendations on a good compression test tool as well as a flex hone ball hone. I also want to get some calipers and micrometers to check bore size piston size and any deviations. I need someone to guide me in a good direction so I don't do anything foolish or buy anything that's expensive that is not needed. Thanks to anyone who will share there experience and knowledge to this struggling poor boy.
B02S4

Post by B02S4 »

Just curious, why not BBK it?
SuperCyclone.81

Post by SuperCyclone.81 »

+1 to that ^

When we do them at MopedU, we don't use any of those tools. Literally just swap them in and out. But when I ordered the kit for my personal bike, Scootuning had an option that they would hone it for like another 20 or 30 bucks so I just had them go ahead and do that before it got to me. They basically just said it helps with the break in process? I honestly don't know. But we definitely didn't use and calipers or special expensive tools or anything and it rips pretty hard.