Kymco GrandVista 250

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Kymco GrandVista 250

Post by skipper20 »

Yes, I know that this is a Modern Buddy forum (I own 2 of them) but I also know that several of you own Kymco scooters. As such, have any of you had any experience, good or bad, with the subject scooter? I ask this because a local used car and motorcycle dealer has a 2009 GrandVista with only 300 miles which is priced about $150 below KBB and is advertised as "Like new". The only problem is this dealer, with one exception, has a dreadful feedback record. The exception was a customer who had some body work done. I understand that I'd be buying the scooter on its merits and not on the dealer's merits but I'm still wondering if it's something worth pursuing. The dealer is primarily a used car dealer and not a Kymco dealer. Used MCs and scooters appear to be a sideline business. Any and all inputs would be sincerely appreciated. TIA,

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
'08 250ie Aprilia Sport City
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Have you sat on it? I was too big for the Grandvista, but I'm 6'3". I think it's most comfortable for folks who are well under 6". For that reason, I prefer the People 250 model(s).
Dage'sVew

Post by Dage'sVew »

My husband rides a 2009 Grand Vista, bought used. He's 6' but his inseam is only 31"! Fits him fine and has given no trouble in over 6,400 miles. The seat design is the one weak spot. That sucker was really uncomfortable. He removed the "cantle" (horsefolk will know what I mean :) ) which helped a lot. It wasn't hard to do. I think that also gave him a bit more leg room too, through not being pushed forward by the cantle. It's his first scoot so he has nothing to compare it to, other than my Buddy, but he finds it to be economical, reliable, quick and fun.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

There are 2 in our group and I've seen many around town.

They're good 80mph scooters, though they are not fuel injected and have a small tank.

They're similar in function to a Honda Helix but updated.

I had a People 250, and when I was researching it, the grandvista seemed like it was the better of the two . The People was reliable if not stylish.
All the other Kymcos around here, even if mistreated, seem pretty tough.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

First, I have no idea how there can be a "book value" on a 2009 Kymco scooter. Scooter prices can never be correctly reflected in a "book" as there are a few thousand sold and not hundreds of thousands as is in the case of automobiles. Of those few thousand sold, only a handful change hands each year hence, there is no way to correctly have a "book" value.

That said, it is worth what you are willing to pay not what they say it is worth.

Secondly, you own scooters right? You know how it should run and brake? You know what good tires look like? You know what a scuffed mirror means?

Why the hell do you care who you are buying it from? I have bought more than one bike from assholes that I wanted nothing to do with other than buy their bike.
Christophers

Post by Christophers »

ScooterDave wrote:First, I have no idea how there can be a "book value" on a 2009 Kymco scooter. Scooter prices can never be correctly reflected in a "book" as there are a few thousand sold and not hundreds of thousands as is in the case of automobiles. Of those few thousand sold, only a handful change hands each year hence, there is no way to correctly have a "book" value.

That said, it is worth what you are willing to pay not what they say it is worth.
Thank you! Finally someone that sees the light.
If this is your first day with PSYCHO, you have to ride.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The price is what you pay.

With that I would haggle with the dealer a bit. Take it for a test drive if possible, etc.

If you like it, nothing wrong with offering a lower price. If they want money they'll take it, if they don't they can wait for another customer, likely in the Spring.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

ScooterDave wrote:First, I have no idea how there can be a "book value" on a 2009 Kymco scooter. Scooter prices can never be correctly reflected in a "book" as there are a few thousand sold and not hundreds of thousands as is in the case of automobiles. Of those few thousand sold, only a handful change hands each year hence, there is no way to correctly have a "book" value.

Secondly, you own scooters right? You know how it should run and brake? You know what good tires look like? You know what a scuffed mirror means?

Why the hell do you care who you are buying it from? I have bought more than one bike from assholes that I wanted nothing to do with other than buy their bike.
All good points Dave especially book values for vehicles that aren't sold as frequently as cars and trucks are. I hadn't really thought about that one.

In 81 years of life I have dealt with many "assholes" so I don't mind dealing with another one. But, it's always nice to have a few facts under one's belt before taking the leap. In this case, the leap is a 110 mile round trip from home base. One of my big concerns is how the seat fits my posterior and will I be able to easily flat foot it when coming to a stop. My 32" inseam legs aren't as strong as they used to be so seat height and balance are critical. Anyway, thanks for your comments and thanks also to others who have commented. If I do the deal I'll give you all a full report.

Bill in Seattle
'09 150 Blackjack
'12 170i Italia
'08 250ie Aprilia Sport City :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I wouldn't worry too much about flat footing. I have a 30" inseam (closer to 29 really) and have no problems. It's not as low as the Helix but the 2 riders in our group that own them come up to my chin, and I'm only 5'7" :P
mverps

Post by mverps »

I ride an 09 GV, I am very happy with it. my only complaint is the size of the gas tank. I have to gas up at 100 miles or a little over. 300 miles isn't even broken in yet. Like someone said, If you think it is worth it buy it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

skipper20 wrote: One of my big concerns is how the seat fits my posterior and will I be able to easily flat foot it when coming to a stop. My 32" inseam legs aren't as strong as they used to be so seat height and balance are critical.
The seat height on the Kymco is 30.3 inches. With a 32 inch inseam I'd think you should be able to easily flat foot the scooter.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Bill-
Seems I read somewhere that there is a seat mod for them. You might visit that concern over on the Kymco forums.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Whimscootie wrote:Bill-
Seems I read somewhere that there is a seat mod for them. You might visit that concern over on the Kymco forums.
It has a Kymco "custom" seat. Check it out at: http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcd/4730292503.html
mverps

Post by mverps »

Well????? Did you purchase this scooter? Curious minds want to know LOL
:P
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

skipper20 wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:Bill-
It has a Kymco "custom" seat. Check it out at: http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/mcd/4730292503.html
Deleted, sorry.
Attachments
Craigs List Posting Deleted.JPG
Craigs List Posting Deleted.JPG (28.35 KiB) Viewed 1075 times
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

mverps wrote:Well????? Did you purchase this scooter? Curious minds want to know LOL
:P
Nope. I drove down today (144 miles round trip) but it had been sold over the weekend. But, for the same price, $1995 + tax & license, The dealer had a '09 Sym CitiCom 300i scooter, with 3,400 mis., which I test rode. It looked, felt & sounded good, accelerated and stopped nicely, balanced extremely well for a 400 lb. scooter so I bought it. The dealer also threw in a 30 day, unlimited mileage warranty. I liked the fact that it had fuel injection as my last Sym scooter, an HD200, suffered a carburetor failure a mile from my house and I had to push the damn thing home! This in spite of the fact that when putting it up for the winter, the fuel tank was full and I had treated it with both Sta-Bill and Seafoam plus kept the battery on a Battery Tender Jr.
I pick the new scoot up on Friday.

Bill in Seattle :)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Nicely done!

I haven't seen them in the wild, but the 300i reviewed well.