Buddy 170i wouldn't start

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

lostboy1205

Buddy 170i wouldn't start

Post by lostboy1205 »

Hi everyone. I got a Buddy 170i about a year and a half ago, for commuting to work. I live in New Mexico with beautiful weather, so I can generally ride any time except when it's actually snowing (maybe 5 or 7 times per year).

Yesterday I rode to rehearsal in the evening, and when I got out 3 hours later (temperature maybe 45F?), the bike wouldn't start. I know very little about bikes or cars, and I don't know the actual technical engine words, but it began starting, but never "caught." The more times I tried it, the more tired it sounded, and the red engine light got dim. Sorry, I never checked for sure whether the headlight came on, but I think it did.

I went back today, and it started up just fine. I checked the oil and it seems full and clear, and the battery was putting out the correct voltage.

Does anyone have any ideas what this could be? The bike has been out in the cold before and hasn't had a problem, but that was a while ago. Once or twice, it's not started, but always worked on the second try.

Thanks in advance!
CEZ2011

Post by CEZ2011 »

There are several reasons why an engine can be hard to start in cooler or cold weather. Gas does not vaporize as easily making it hard for the fuel to ignite. The oil is thicker,making the engine harder to crank. The battery is weak.

It is unlike a gas issue, although 45 degrees is cooler it should not cause gas issues. The same goes with the oil, unless you are running a heavy weight oil. The issue is probably a weak battery. You may want to get it tested.

Chris
charlie55

Post by charlie55 »

If it's temperature-related, you might want to check your bystarter/enricher:

viewtopic.php?t=27646
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

170i doesn't have the traditional bystarter. It's all in the ECU/FI.

But for carbureted models, indeed, that can cause cold start issues while being one of the hardest parts to diagnose or bypass.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

I blame ethanol...but then again I blame everything on ethanol
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
Neurotic-Hapi-Snak

Post by Neurotic-Hapi-Snak »

BuddyRaton wrote:I blame ethanol...but then again I blame everything on ethanol
http://www.aa.org/
There you go.
Rippinyarn

Post by Rippinyarn »

It's the same with the Blur 220, in colder weather if the battery isn't absolutely topped up, the thing will crank and crank and never start. I keep mine on a tender, but I've gone so far as to keep one of those tiny Li-On car jumper batteries under the seat. I had to use it once so far this season. Hook it up and wait for a minute or two and the thing will start up immediately. I might consider a larger (cold cranking amps) battery that fits in the same space.
Rovers SC
Check out the latest at scooterfile.com