Missing the days of fast scooting

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Tam Tam

Missing the days of fast scooting

Post by Tam Tam »

Howdy folks, Tam Tam here. Yesterday I watched probably two hours of scooting videos on YouTube. Part of me wishes I had saved one of my two scoots from trading in, but the main reason I didn't was-
1. I would've only been able to scoot on a state park, or up & down a five mile road that has 3 gas stations and a burger joint. Anywhere else I would've had to truck the scooter somewhere, park the truck, scoot, then do it again to get home. I realize many folk do just that, but I used to really enjoy being able to scoot dang near anywhere I wanted to get...something about reducing the scooters to toys vs working vehicles just didn't seem right. I wanted a two wheeled vehicle that could get me anywhere, not just a fun toy to goof on...
(My wife, who used to ride scoots with me, also noted the cost factor of maintaining a toy vs working vehicle and that funding the motorcycle I now have would have to take precedence as it is my work commuter and intercity transport)
Not to make this a "first world problem" type of post, but am just chiming in that despite having a smooth fast motorcycle doesn't mean I don't miss scooting. I miss how they handle, the burrrr & whine of their engines, the reactions from motorcycle riders when they realized I was going 60mph and they had to speed up to pass me...so all you scooter folk enjoy your riding just 1% more for a scooter jockey who choose to hang up his 10 inch wheels...but still dreams of those days. (No kidding- from time to time I have dreams about scooting...have yet to have a motorcycle dream lol)
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Stinkdyr

Post by Stinkdyr »

Scoots are pretty cheap to keep around as a toy. You sure you couldn't fit a used $500 stepthru somewhere around the yard?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I too needed bigger wheels, better suspension and a faster bike.
But with 40K on my scooter, I figured I wouldn't be able to sell it for much so I kept it. Still love both but the scoot sure doesn't see many miles lately. :?
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

This is where I am fortunate. I have both, and we even have Project Helix that will be finished next year methinks.

Of course, I'm also looking to change jobs. Hopefully I can still get to the new job via scoot and/or motorcycle if possible!
skipper20

Re: Missing the days of fast scooting

Post by skipper20 »

Tam Tam wrote:Howdy folks, Tam Tam here. Yesterday I watched probably two hours of scooting videos on YouTube. Part of me wishes I had saved one of my two scoots from trading in, but the main reason I didn't was-
1. I would've only been able to scoot on a state park, or up & down a five mile road that has 3 gas stations and a burger joint. Anywhere else I would've had to truck the scooter somewhere, park the truck, scoot, then do it again to get home. I realize many folk do just that, but I used to really enjoy being able to scoot dang near anywhere I wanted to get...something about reducing the scooters to toys vs working vehicles just didn't seem right. I wanted a two wheeled vehicle that could get me anywhere, not just a fun toy to goof on...
(My wife, who used to ride scoots with me, also noted the cost factor of maintaining a toy vs working vehicle and that funding the motorcycle I now have would have to take precedence as it is my work commuter and intercity transport)
Not to make this a "first world problem" type of post, but am just chiming in that despite having a smooth fast motorcycle doesn't mean I don't miss scooting. I miss how they handle, the burrrr & whine of their engines, the reactions from motorcycle riders when they realized I was going 60mph and they had to speed up to pass me...so all you scooter folk enjoy your riding just 1% more for a scooter jockey who choose to hang up his 10 inch wheels...but still dreams of those days. (No kidding- from time to time I have dreams about scooting...have yet to have a motorcycle dream lol)
Got $1500 in your pocket that you can spend without killing your budget? Then get back into scooting with a gently used Buddy 125. But, and this is very important, get one that your wife will call "cute". As noted in another post, the "cute" factor gets the women-folk every time. It's true. My olive green 170i Italia gets oohs and ahhs from the ladies every time I park it in a public place. If I was 30 years younger I'd consider it a chick magnet!

Bill in Seattle
'09 Blackjack 150
'12 Italia 170i
Tam Tam

Post by Tam Tam »

If I had 1000-1500 to spare, that would be one thing for sure. Wife and I are saving for the real wedding and honeymoon so funny money is not around. Both scoots had 18000 miles total, so the trade in value was worth it sadly. I worked out the fours years use I got from them in terms of purchase price, and that also made trading them in easier. I have started a change jar to go towards a scoot in the future however.
Someday, somehow I will scoot again. The super cool thing is that the blackjack was bought by a couple who are in the extended riding club, and they generously offered that I can ride it while in town/on a ride etc...
Once again, thank you folk for advice and hints...what is that song lyric or that age old advice -"it's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you already got!"
"When you're racing, that's when you're really alive. Everything else...everything...just becomes waiting to race." - Steve McQueen
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

So far, I have not found anything I want to do on two wheels which I can't do on a BV 350. (But for all that, I still own an LX 150 and a Buddy so my partner and I can ride small scooters for the sheer joy of it :wink: )