In Memory of Allie the Wonder Beagle

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

In Memory of Allie the Wonder Beagle

Post by BuddyRaton »

December 20, 2014 was Allie's last day with us. We will miss Allie, however I would really like this thread to be a celebration of her life and the lives of all adopted animals.

Allie came into our lives when we visited the Delray Garlic Festival in November of 2005. We saw the Animal Rescue Force (ARF) booth. It was night time and Allie was the only dog that had not been adopted. Many people had wanted to adopt her but her foster "parents" were very picky about who Allie would go with.

She was 7 years old and had separation anxiety. Her caring ARF worker asked what would we do with her during the day..."Oh she will be going to work with me." The volunteer smiled and Allie had a new home! We found out later that Allie was ARF's first dog to be rescued, and that this was ARF's first adoption event.

She was a true companion! She was the kind of dog that you could tell was enjoying life and her attitude was infectious. Everyone that met Allie, or just saw her during a walk, would smile.

If you would like to learn a little more about her there is a small memorial site with some of my favorite photos.
http://www.lapoflove.com/pet-memorial.a ... orial=1551

What would help? I would love to hear the stories of other rescued, adopted...whatever name you wish to give them...animals. The fun, silly, loving things they do for and with us.

Let's celebrate our furry (and feathered) friends that may have had a difficult time in their life but became wonderful companions with so much love to give!

"Until one has loved an animal , a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole Francis

"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I feel your loss. You did good for giving her a "forever home"-I always liked that saying. I have three cats, and as much as they drive me crazy or just be lazy I do love 'em. The middle adopted cat is worth mention. He was the SPCA floor cat, meaning he was hardly ever in a cage. I was trying to find a buddy for my other cat and was torn between two cats-a big tabby and the floor cat. When I finally went back to make a choice BOTH cats were adopted! Oh well, I thought, one is just fine. Then, I get a call from the cat room lady saying Charlie the floor cat was back! Turns out he kept biting the kid of the adoption family so they took him back to the SPCA-via South Carolina BACK to Norfolk, VA! I was thinking "Wimpy kid, he probably either did something to deserve it or overacted to a love nip.", so with me he went to his "forever home". To get to the point, the kid was not a wimp, this cat is EVIL! You have to keep a close watch on him, nips draw blood! And the nips are totally random. And NO everyone, its not from pain or anxiety or anything else! He is a scratch and dent cat that despite his shortcomings we love him, and he fit right in with the now 2 other scratch and dent cats- the annoying one and the ghost. And I say when they pass on to the great litter box in the sky it's "No more cats!"-my wife just laughs and calls me a softy.
Syd

Post by Syd »

I'm sorry for your pet loss. I've had two pound puppies, Albuquerque (really!) and Hannah.

We were in Flagstaff when we had Al. One day we were out on the north side of the San Francisco peaks at a place called Potato Tank. We let him out of the truck to run, and before we saw them he noticed a small group of cattle ahead. Like a bullet he went after the cattle, rounded them up into a tight knot, ran a few yards off and sat. Then looked at us, smiling.

We had had Al since he was eight weeks old, and I can guarantee that he never had any contact with livestock before that day. He also couldn't swim to save his life, so I guess the shelter's estimation that he was a black lab/Brittany spaniel mix was off the mark!

We put him down at 14. I cried for him more than I cried when my father died.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

I'm sorry for your loss. The hardest part of having a dog or cat is how short a time we have with them.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Aw man, so sorry for your loss. I hope the happy memories will sustain you while you grieve.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

:(. Sorry to hear that.

All of my pets in recent memory have been rescues or donated by friends.

Our newest was rehomed to us, and we'll be her forever home. Even though she's fat and a bit special, she's a very cheerful cat.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

jrsjr wrote:Aw man, so sorry for your loss. I hope the happy memories will sustain you while you grieve.
We miss her but we have wonderful memories! She was 16 years old and was a shining example of a happy dog!

She was good for us and we were good for her. All my memories of her are good!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
gr8dog

Post by gr8dog »

It's always tough to lose a beloved pet. They hold special places in our hearts. Thank you for taking in an adult dog. Our dog is also a rescue. He is laying on the floor licking himself right now! Geez. :roll:
You have my sympathies for your loss.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

My condolences on your loss, man. We have two shelter rescues in the family. They're both little weirdos, but we love 'em to pieces.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Wolfhound

Post by Wolfhound »

It is always hard to let one go over the rainbow bridge. We still have 6 left from our show days, one is the last of our ShadowLand Beagle line. He is 15 now but still active. I know how you feel and share your loss. :(
Growing old is inevitible, being old is not.
So be your self. Every one else is already taken!
Tenchi

We lost our dog, but gained a new four-legged friend...

Post by Tenchi »

In October, 2013, my step-father passed away in Massachusetts. Just before we left San Jose to attend the funeral, we had to put down our little Cocker Spaniel mix, Ready. She was pushing 14 or so at the time, was sort of a rescue dog (she was running loose in the street on a rainy day, jumped in our car, and the family who was watching over her gave her to us). When we got to my step-father's home at 1 in the morning, a fierce looking Shepard-Rottweiler mix met us at the door, barking furiously. Once my idiot nephew opened up the door and yelled at her, she backed down...suffice it to say, we were there a week, and she bonded with me. It took a year, but we got her shipped to Sacramento airport and picked her up there. She remembered me. Suffice it to say, she won't leave my side now. She sits in the doorway while I am keyboarding away. Best dog in the world. We miss Ready, and sometimes I call our new dog Shadow by the wrong name. Funny how a new dog can heal a broken heart.
The worst day of retirement beats the best day working....