Multiple scooter ownership dilemma

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ahorsewithnoname

Multiple scooter ownership dilemma

Post by ahorsewithnoname »

Now with a new Hooligan, Buddy 50 and old Harley, I wonder how all the members pay for all the expenses of several rides. Or do all the profiles on this forum list all the 2 wheelers they now own or have owned? My Buddy 50 only needs to be registered in my state, be insured and not regularly tagged. The Hooligan and Harley have their own tags and insurance. How can I buy a vintage bike, and restore it without having all the expenses of a fourth or even several more bikes?
Thanks, Greatgrandpop
CapnK

Post by CapnK »

I'm a "3-biker" right now, and all count as motorcycles with attendant tags and insurance, so I am having to get rid of one of them. Sadly, it looks like that will be the Buddy, because at 150cc's it just isn't well suited for out-of-this-small-town trips, and this town is so small that I cannot justify having a bike solely for that. If it was a 50cc, I'd keep it.

So my rides later this spring will be the SportCity as my 'main/daily' set of wheels, and the CB350 for 'sport' riding/old-school backup/nostalgia/fun wrenching.

I had a Sym Wolf Classic that I sold this past August for much the same reason; it sat between the Buddy and the CB350 - too small for safe & regular primary highway use (IMO - 65mph top speed, where most cages are running that +10), and it didn't have the "toting" capability of a scoot. Fun as all get-out to ride, though! I sure hated to see it go. But it made room for the SportCity...
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - M. Twain
skully93

Post by skully93 »

The good thing is if you don't buy new, they tend to be pretty cheap after the first year or so.

My wife just did get a new buddy, which raised our rates $175/year, and she'll have to do the plates.

The maintenance can add up if you happen to need to do them all at the same time. OUCH!

Otherwise, it's a couple bones/year for plates, and <1k for good coverage insurance.

Buy everything used, then it's not a bad hobby.
Driller

Getting crowded...

Post by Driller »

If I did not have one scoot in Florida, SWMBO would have put her foot down since three crowd the garage at home. My biggest concern having multiple bikes is finding time to keep the oil stirred and batteries charged on all four.
Yes, even though I do my own routine work, my wallet is feeling pinched right now since service on all will be coming in anticipation of some spring riding weather. My insurance bill gets some frowns from my wife, but I laugh it off by saying "but the multiple bike discount saves a lot" :D
One or two will have to go eventually. It will not be easy deciding which one(s). :?
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

As Az says "At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter..."

Right now I think I'm one short of addiction (yeah right). Yeah...the ones listed below are in the stable.

Three of those are regular riders. I commute on the BMW, run around town for short errands on the Blur (which I bought with the intention of flipping..but it's too much fun.) Bocette claimed the Buddy and I also ride the 67 GT rat and the 64 GS on a regular basis.

Most are registered. Luckily registration fees dropped last year. A few project and parts bikes are not but I have the titles.

Insurance is not required in Florida but I keep it anyway. After the third scooter the additional amount is minimal. I mainly keep it for liability. You never know...someone could step off a curb in front of me or whatever...I'd rather be covered but that is a personal choice.

For me scooters are a means of transportation and a hobby. I just accept that if I have many scooters...well registration and insurance is part of the price.

As far as maintenance I do my own except for the BMW which is under warranty. Once it is out I'll either extend the warranty or do it myself. That scooter has a lot of stuff that may not be beyond me but may take me quite awhile to figure out and requires some special tools. It's also my daily commuter.

As far as vintage Vespas, in reality if you stay stock parts are really pretty reasonable for most models. GS and SS parts and wide body parts can be tougher to find and more expensive.

Have I spent stupid amounts of money on mods and parts to take a P200 motor to about 23 hp...yes. But then again that's where it being a hobby comes into play.

Luckily I don't have a SHMBO...I have a scooter chick for a wife. As far as she is concerned if my biggest fault is having a bunch of scooters...well that's OK with her...as long as I keep the Buddy running...and...well...she does like the BBK I put on for her! :mrgreen:
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

It's 3 scooters and one bike. My problem is space related! The Buddy still has the outriggers on it, and I will not leave it outside. The Zuma spends most of it's time on the lift waiting for parts. I would love to fit the Spyder in the garage but we have a full cover for now. Then ANOTHER Zuma showed up and is living in the corner of the garage. The SYM lives outdoors, it's the beater. I also hate the insurance renewal and the extra maintenance since I can only ride one at a time. My plan is to sell off the other scoots and get a Stella or a Rattler, has to be a 2t. Then I will be a two bike family and have garage space again. The rafters in the garage look like a belt factory, since it is a mandatory spare to have on hand and all of them are belt drive.
Driller

Post by Driller »

There is a nearly new Rattler at a dealer in Asheville. Hee,hee.
:twisted:
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
DeeDee

2000 mile test ride

Post by DeeDee »

I'm a firm believer in the 2000 mile test ride. I don't know how you can go look at a scooter, ride it up and down the street and know for sure it is going to work out for you. I'll buy in the dead of winter, and know by memorial day if the scooter is a keeper. Even with plates and insurance I usually come close to breaking even due to the seasonal price difference. I have 5 right now, two of which will stay with me. One was a long test ride (2009 buddy 125 replaced with a 2014 170i), two were bought with the intention of turning for a profit and two will stay as my regular rides.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Five bike family here. With three riders. The more you get the cheaper the insurance is :). The only real issue is the batteries, I try to keep a battery tender on everything and keep them up. The last scooter we put on the insurance was only $15 (shop around Progressive treats us well.)
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

BuddyRaton wrote:Have I spent stupid amounts of money on mods and parts to take a P200 motor to about 23 hp...yes.
My local wrench claims 42hp at the wheel. But I suspect nitrous is involved: https://www.facebook.com/TaylorMotorspo ... 09517004:0

There is verrrry little 'stock' left on this scoot.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
DeeDee

Decisions Decisions....

Post by DeeDee »

We've had record cold temperatures and snowfall in Denver the last couple of weeks. It has made it really hard for me to decide which scooter NOT to ride.
Last edited by DeeDee on Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Scooter envy!
I have a Honda Silverwing ABS and 170i and feel very fortunate.
GigiB

Post by GigiB »

How much are people paying for insurance?? My husband's 2002 Vespa and my 2009 Buddy (both 150s) together cost $250/year with Progressive. And that's with more coverage and lower deductibles than our cars with Amica. (who doesn't do motorcycle insurance) Are people really paying closer to a grand?? Mind. Blown.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I have a buddy 170i, buddy 125 and yamaha C3 insured through progressive. Full coverage with $300,000 accident coverage. Premium is $150/year.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I just rode home a new Buddy 170i yesterday. I got a slightly used Honda NCH Metro a few weeks ago & it's fun but not fast enough to leave my neighborhood (safely) so I got the Buddy. Very nimble like the Metro but way better suspension, stronger brakes & 3X more engine. Great scooter. Also have a 2007 Suzuki Vstrom 650.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I don't even think my insurance is $275 a year with 4 scooters on it. That's with geico.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
Snap

Post by Snap »

It's better to have many rides in the garage than to keep saying "I used to have one of those and wished I never sold it".
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Snap wrote:It's better to have many rides in the garage than to keep saying "I used to have one of those and wished I never sold it".
Ain't it the truth!

:cry:
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Okay, I own 4 these days. I confess to turning one over every so often as I like a new experience. On the other hand, each of the 4 has a purpose. My partner mostly rides the Buddy. I keep the Aprilia at a friend's place in Florida for winter riding. The BV is my touring bike and the LX is my around town scooter (which also pairs up nicely with the Buddy). Actually the cost of ownership is fairly modest. Gosh knows, several of my friends have a classic or collectable car. The cost of owning and maintaining one such vehicle is well more than the cost of my little "fleet". And, besides, which of my "uses" would I choose to do without? :wink:
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

DeeDee that burnt orange? and blacked out Buddy looks awesome. Didn't know that was an available color.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KrispyKreme wrote:DeeDee that burnt orange? and blacked out Buddy looks awesome. Didn't know that was an available color.
The original orange Buddy was that color which Genuine called "sunset orange'. It had a brown seat and accents. The color was replaced by the current "tangerine orange" with black seat and accents. (I believe the switch occurred in 2008)
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:DeeDee that burnt orange? and blacked out Buddy looks awesome. Didn't know that was an available color.
The original orange Buddy was that color which Genuine called "sunset orange'. It had a brown seat and accents. The color was replaced by the current "tangerine orange" with black seat and accents. (I believe the switch occurred in 2008)

Thanks. I really like the tangerine but the "sunset" is awesome. So the original w/sunset orange was blacked out like that?
MYSCTR

Buddy Family

Post by MYSCTR »

Anything we ride is registered with insurance and tags. We just try to keep it no more than 4 at a time - all insured through Progressive.
Attachments
Genuine Buddy Scoots NOV-13
Genuine Buddy Scoots NOV-13
DSCN0254c.JPG (177.77 KiB) Viewed 1720 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KrispyKreme wrote:Thanks. I really like the tangerine but the "sunset" is awesome. So the original w/sunset orange was blacked out like that?
No, it looks like the black accents have been added. The original basically looked like this-
Attachments
Orange Buddy.jpg
Orange Buddy.jpg (29.9 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Slam

Re: Buddy Family

Post by Slam »

MYSCTR wrote:Anything we ride is registered with insurance and tags. We just try to keep it no more than 4 at a time - all insured through Progressive.
What are those trays you have on the rear racks?

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently that's for the top case. :)
MYSCTR

Re: Buddy Family

Post by MYSCTR »

Slam wrote:
MYSCTR wrote:Anything we ride is registered with insurance and tags. We just try to keep it no more than 4 at a time - all insured through Progressive.
What are those trays you have on the rear racks?

EDIT: Nevermind. Apparently that's for the top case. :)
You got it - made for a quick release for the GIVI top cases - plus when not in use you have a pretty flat and smooth spot to bungie anything you may want to carry when you don't need the case. Also we know our daughter used to keep her full face helmet inside and still carry it in to work like a suitcase since her lunch or other items would fit inside and she felt it was more secure that way.

PS: The Italia pictured below has the inner plastics swapped out to black (like the burnt orange 125 in the above post). Adds a quick sporty look to it.
Attachments
Italia with GIVI Top Case
Italia with GIVI Top Case
20111115_11 GIVI.jpg (124.61 KiB) Viewed 1689 times
Last edited by MYSCTR on Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ootscoot

Post by Ootscoot »

Being a scooter dealer, I don't really know how many bikes I own at any given moment...but I ride, register and insure 6 bikes - this week.
Current favorite is my Mocha Buddy 170i.
Ex-Scooter dealer, current scooter rider, scooter owner...
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Ootscoot wrote:Current favorite is my Mocha Buddy 170i.
Man, Don't let the folks on the SYM forum hear this.
kmrcstintn

Post by kmrcstintn »

I got 2 currently...Suzuki is paid off & I took out a 5 year loan on the Honda (I owe more than the bike is worth...that's why I put gap insurance on the loan); I am having to reduce my charity/benefit event participation to stay ahead of the expenses (anticipating an increase in my insurance after a fender bender in my suv in October); not so much the 'fee or donation' to participate, but the extras that kill me (gas, meals, raffle tickets, t shirts, etc);

there is an advantage when I can ride more often than drive during times of good weather...saves alot of gas

I always keep a thought in the back of my mind...it's great to have a bike that is paid off, but I am prepared to sell the Suzuki and apply the proceeds to the Honda loan if necessary; defaulting on a loan damages personal credit and I would own the difference immediately!
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Re: Multiple scooter ownership dilemma

Post by ScooterDave »

ahorsewithnoname wrote:Now with a new Hooligan, Buddy 50 and old Harley, I wonder how all the members pay for all the expenses of several rides. Or do all the profiles on this forum list all the 2 wheelers they now own or have owned? My Buddy 50 only needs to be registered in my state, be insured and not regularly tagged. The Hooligan and Harley have their own tags and insurance. How can I buy a vintage bike, and restore it without having all the expenses of a fourth or even several more bikes?
Thanks, Greatgrandpop
Just so I understand correctly. You want to own multiple bikes yet not have the expenses associated with legally riding them?

The only way I see around this is never ride them on the road.