Exhaust Pipe Mounting Bolts

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

BuddyAllYearLong

Exhaust Pipe Mounting Bolts

Post by BuddyAllYearLong »

Last week I noticed one night that the exhaust/engine sound of my Buddy 50 Little International seemed to change after a bumpy stretch of road. I looked the next day after getting home. It appears that somehow both of the bolts that mount the exhaust pipe to the right side of the crankcase are gone. I assume they were already loose. The exhaust pipe has bent down from the upward-inclined angle to almost horizontal, but I can still pull it far enough up that I could screw it back in.

Don't know if there's a more technical name for the missing bolts, but I checked the manual I found online and couldn't see it. As far as I can tell, they're the bolts with the arrows pointing at them here -- http://www.provoscooter.com/media/how-t ... e15LRG.jpg.

Does anyone here know the required type, size, and length (and rough vs. course threading, I assume) for these bolts? Can I get them at Lowe's or other hardware store, or are they automotive/scooter-specific? I tried a half-dozen different bolt sizes I had either on hand or got from the hardware store, and none worked. The one that was closest seemed to screw in a turn or two, and then freeze.

Any advice appreciated. My next step is prob the dealer/shop, but I figured to ask here first, in case it was an easy fix.

BTW, new member here, and I took a look through the forums and online, but I couldn't find the info I needed. I am not very mechanically knowledgeable, and my next step would ordinarily be to call my local scooter dealer/shop, but they're closed until Tuesday. Thanks for any advice!
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

BAYL.
The link wouldn't work for me so I'm not sure what bolts you're looking for.
However, bolts that fall out can usually be replaced by shopping the metric fastener section of you local ACE hardware store.
Metric fasteners come in common sizes of; 6, 8 & 10mm and although there are some fine threaded fasteners in the world, you're likely to use the standard thread pitch in your search.
Estimate carefully the diameter of the missing bolts. Even with metric bolts, it's handy to use English units when shopping. (1/4"= ~6mm, 5/16"= ~ 8mm, 3/8" =~ 10mm, for example)
Check the threaded length in "blind" holes with a coat hanger cut to straight length and put in the threaded hole. Most deep "blind" threaded holes are not threaded to the bottom. Do your best to estimate the correct length.
ALWAYS put a flat washer on replacement bolts to eliminate damaged metal surfaces where you install the bolts.
*Sometimes, when bolts vibrate out, they damage the threads left behind. If yours are damaged, purchase a "bottoming" tap and "chase" the threads clean and then install the new bolt(s).*
To keep your replacement bolts from falling out again, do one or more of the following; Regular tightening, "Blue" Loctite on threads, drill and safety wire the heads of the bolts.
The people at ACE can be your friends, but not all of them are knowledgable (?) with metal working.
Your exhaust is likely damaged from hanging. Let's hope not!
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Call or go by your local shop and ask the service tech - they may even have the bolts/washers you need - or at least tell you the correct size.

Another option is to find another 50cc Buddy and pull one.
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

The link is not working because of a period at the end of the URL. The bolts in question are 8mm coarse thread, and for lack of a better descriptive word about thumb length. When you replace them make sure you use blue Loctite so they don't vibrate loose again.

Here's the fixed link.

http://www.provoscooter.com/media/how-t ... e15LRG.jpg
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
BuddyAllYearLong

Post by BuddyAllYearLong »

Thank you, all. I tried an 8mm from the hardware store, and it might have been fine threat -- didn't work. Got a replacement set (top & bottom) from my local scooter shop, hooked everything back up, and it still didn't sound right. Took the scoot in to the shop... and the exhaust pipe was cracked. Glad that I tried it, though.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Had a similar situation a few years back. Pipe cracked at the joint between the narrow part and where it gets wider into the silencer. My shop welded it up for me and we made sure 'blue' locktight is used on the mounting bolts as well as checking their tightness regularly.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba