Tool kit

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Syd

Tool kit

Post by Syd »

My little starting failure/brain fart last week (see: topic2811.html for all the embarrasing details) forced me to look at the toolkit provided with my SYM. Now, this scoot has been completely trouble free for 3000 miles now, which is a good thing because here's what SYM includes for a toolkit.

Excuse the quality of the picture, but you have to admit the picture quality matches the toolkit quality, eh? What comes with the Buddy? And what do you think I ought to carry with me on a regular basis?

Syd
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Is there no handle for that screwdriver?

In addition to what you've got there (as it is), I always carry a small adjustable wrench (most often used on rearview mirrors), a decent pair of pliers, a tire pressure gauge, a couple shop rags and a small flashlight. I should add a tubeless tire repair kit at some point.

If there's anything that can't be handled with that, time to call roadside assistance.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
rajron

Post by rajron »

I always wondered what was in that plastic pouch – never opened it.
I carry a Leatherman that has a vise grip, screw drivers etc, patch kit and a cell phone.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

a Leatherman and/or swiss army knife is handy, a couple trash bags, lots of zipties, twine, a couple bungees, some change for an emergency phone call…

Throw those screwdrivers away and get a a couple Craftsman ones, those toolkit ones usually just end up mangling the screw. (actually don't throw it away because it's also the box wrench handle, ha)

the cell phone/change might be the most important thing... it's nice to not have to carry a full socket set around like you do with vintage scooters, ha.

I wish modern scooters could carry a spare tire, that's one of my favorite things about old Vespas. Changing a tire on the side of the road is pretty much out of the question on a modern scooter.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Kevin K

Post by Kevin K »

That tool kit beats the one that comes with the Rattler--which consists of a spark plug wrench.

On the P200 I carry the stock Vespa tool kit as well as a multi-use screwdriver and a Leatherman. There hasn't been a roadside repair that I haven't been able to handle with my modest batch of tools.
She rides: nothing yet
He rides: crappy 35 year-old Vespa (and 70cc Rattler)

Minnesota Motorcyle Monthly

My SmugMug
rajron

Post by rajron »

Tubeless tires are easy to fix at roadside, tires with tubes would be very difficult and a spare tire would be best.(you have to remove the rim/tire/tube)
A typical tubeless tire kit would consist of string patches, cement, file and punch and the most important, a couple of CO2 cartridges with a shreader valve attachment.(repair in place)
Syd

Post by Syd »

ericalm wrote:Is there no handle for that screwdriver?
The screwdriver is the handle for the socket which is the handle for the screwdriver which is the handle.... well, you get the idea.

I hadn't thought about carrying more tools because my half helmet took up all of the underseat storage. But now that I have the fullface, which doesn't fit under the seat, I have some room for tools. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
robtaylor

Post by robtaylor »

no, there should be a little plastic handle for that screwdriver.
doesn't matter, it's junk anyway. just like the "free" tool-kit that comes with a car or anything else.
Tazio

Post by Tazio »

The free tool kit that came with my 1989 Porsche 911 is pretty good but I sure wouldn't want to carry in in my Buddy.