First Time Buyer Advice

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Wingscribe

First Time Buyer Advice

Post by Wingscribe »

Hello all,

I've been lurking here and on several other boards through this long, cold winter, getting my ducks in a row to get into the two-wheeled world of powered vehicles.

I've been back and forth over which made or model of scoot to get (refreshing the craigslist page hourly...not obsessing at all, right?).

Today's search came up with this:

https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/mcy/4949406662.html

2009 International Pamplona 150, just under 7K on the clock.

I think this might be the one, but I am new to all of this, so I pose the question to you nice folk:

What should I be looking for?

The pics look pretty good to my (admittedly) untrained eye, but I might be distracted by all of the mounted accessories (most of which I would purchase myself in due time).

The seller says that it needs an oil chance, which does not seem like a big deal, but are there other things that I should be checking out before taking the plunge?

Any advice you have would be very much appreciated as I try to keep my excitement contained.

Thanks in advance,

Mike
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Mike. are you a scooter rider? If so, then a test ride is what will tell you whether a particular model of scooter might be "the one". If you are not a rider and this is all new to you, then I suggest you start out with an MSF basic course. Find out if riding is for you and get a better idea what kind of ride you may prefer.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Dooglas,

I am completely new to scooters/motorcycles. The MSF Course is something I will be taking without question. There is one in coming up in April near my home, specific to scooters, but that one is BYOS. If I have made a purchase before then, I will use that one in the class.

Otherwise, I will learn on whatever 250 motorcycles they have for us in the non-scooter version.

My question was more of a mechanical nature, something to look for on that Buddy that might mean big $$$ to repair or replace.

Thanks for the reply!
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

hi Wing.this looks like a sweet scooter and i would guess that most scooter sales are on the up and up, but i always caution folks to make sure the VIN # on the title matches the VIN on the scooter. and make sure the seller is the actual owner.

good luck! and many happy miles.

p.s. i second the rec of taking the defensive driving class.
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Wingscribe you've come to the right place! The Pamplona is a great first scooter(I have a St Tropez which is the exact same model, different color).
At 7k you are close to needing a belt and rollers if the previous owner hasn't changed them. Those will run you about $60 with the labor being about an hour. Labor is around 90/hr, give or take. If the tires are original I would bet that the rear tire(Maxxis are the stock tires) is toast. Mine only lasted 3k miles. Then I would look into the last time he had the oil changed. This may sound like a lot of stuff but if you do it right the first time, you will be happier. This is also a great forum to learn how to do things yourself! I do the oil changes(motor and gear) and valve adjustments. That alone has saved me several hundreds of dollars. If you are mechanically inclined, transmission work and tire changes can be done.

Welcome to the forum and good luck. The Buddy is a great scooter. The Pamplona you are looking at looks like a good deal. The topcase and windscreen are a plus, and the exhaust has a nice note. Keep in mind that when selling you don't get much for accessories. That said 2k looks like a good deal for a low mileage scooter that was garage kept.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Thanks to the both of you! Just the sort of thing I was looking for.

Taking the wife's Odyssey so that we can transport it home if all works out. I don't want my first time in the saddle to be an unskilled operator on unfamiliar roads.

Now, back to the waiting.

Thanks again,

Mike
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Good luck, Mike!!!!
Kevinpsu160

Post by Kevinpsu160 »

I just recently purchased a 2009 Genuine Buddy 150 just like yours. I like the scooter. I would rather have a fuel injected one like my Honda PCX 150 but the price was right on the Buddy.

The $2000 price tag is near the upper end for third party sales. I live in Raleigh, NC and a Genuine 150 will sit on the market for months at this price. I don't think you are going to have to jump on it right away to make sure you get it. The Buddy I purchased had 17 miles, didn't run, and was missed listed on Craigslist. It was first listed for $1300 but I let it sit for nearly a month and the priced dropped every week ($1200, $1000, $900, and final $800). I got it for $700 because one of the plastic tabs was broken and the plastic cover was coming off. The owner did not see this and agreed to take $100 off of the price.

I think if you wait a week or two you will find a better deal. In the meantime, I would test drive a couple so you know what you want. I checked your local listings and found a Honda PCX125 listed for $2000. I also own a PCX150 and I enjoy it much better on longer trips (20+ miles than the Buddy. I like the Buddy to drive around town because it is smaller and lighter. The Buddy is for my son so I won't have it much longer.

Remember that people will finally open their garage to take their scooters out and enjoy them. Some will find that they won't start (dead battery, carburetor issues, etc..). Instead of fixing them, they will list the scooters at low, low prices. If you are comfortable doing some work you can get a really nice scooter for around under $1000.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

That being said, the 150 is a rare bird, only produced for a short while.

Even with a tuneup and some replacement parts, if you add $200ish to the price tag, not a bad deal with the accessories!

You'll also want to factor in the cost of some good gear. Learn from my mistakes, buy good quality gear ONCE :P. Bad gear may not do what you need. A good helmet, jacket, and boots are in order, which can add up to half the cost of the bike easy. Then again you only buy it the one time, and insurance covers it for accidents or thefts.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

skully93 wrote:
You'll also want to factor in the cost of some good gear. Learn from my mistakes, buy good quality gear ONCE :P. Bad gear may not do what you need. A good helmet, jacket, and boots are in order, which can add up to half the cost of the bike easy.

I know it's a bad example but when it gets hot a trip on the buddy with shorts, t-shirt, and vans feels wonderful. I find it much easier to "gear up" when it gets cold, since you have to put on something!

But you should factor in the price for gear. Firstgear makes makes good stuff at a good price. As far as boots, I wear Bates.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I agree with Krispy that you should plan on the cost of new tires and a new belt and rollers with a bike of that mileage. I would (and do) replace tires after about 5 years regardless of perceived tread wear. If you really know nothing about powered two wheelers, you may want to take a more experienced friend along when you go to look at the Pamplona. I have never purchased a motorcycle or scooter without a test ride (and I have owned all too many of them :wink: ).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KrispyKreme wrote:I know it's a bad example but when it gets hot a trip on the buddy with shorts, t-shirt, and vans feels wonderful.
Going down wearing shorts and a t-shirt does not, however, feel wonderful. :(
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:I know it's a bad example but when it gets hot a trip on the buddy with shorts, t-shirt, and vans feels wonderful.
Going down wearing shorts and a t-shirt does not, however, feel wonderful. :(

So you're cool with the Vans? :P
Kevinpsu160

Post by Kevinpsu160 »

Vans come highly recommended. If they are good enough for Tony Hawk on a skateboard, then they must be approved for scooter riding.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Wow, thanks again for all of the responses...I'll try to address the input.

Gear: It is my plan to outfit myself accordingly. Good Helmet, Gloves, Armored Jacket (I've been lurking for several months, planning this out). I will get good stuff, knowing that I will only replace crap later (New to scootin'. but I've been around the block a few times...lol).

I have looked at the PCX, there are several new (2015 and 2013) PCX150s available in my area, but that Honda is just not talking to me, just a personal preference, no offense meant.

I really like the Ruckus, always have, but 50ccs are just not enough where I live (surrounded by 50MPH streets in all directions).

I do like the Zuma 125 quite a bit, it is a different experience from tehe Buddy, to be sure, but both Zuma and Buddy are talking to me...

A local scooter shop, Metroscooter, has a used Buddy 125 and several new ones in stock...

But there is just something about that two-tine International line...shouldn't matter, but it does.

150cc should be enough to keep up with local traffic, once I am geared properly and taken the MSF class.

I'll keep all you nice folks up to date on the search.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

I know you have a lot on your plate so I'll just make a couple of statements and let it be. The Buddy will rip a Zuma performance wise. If you want a Zuma, save the $ and get a Kymco Agility125 for 1500 less. Get a full-face helmet. That may sound weird from a guy that takes rides in shorts, but I'd rather get road rash than break my face.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Let me make sure I got all of this straight:

Always ride in shorts, regardless of the weather - check!
Brand-new scooter for only $489 delivered to my door, thanks ebay! - check!
Skateboard shoes > motorcycle boots - check!
My old autocross helmet (SA95) is perfect, but only if I have it on backwards - check!
MSF courses are a waste of money and time (I already know everything) - check!
Salvage titles are fun - check!

Am I missing anything???
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

:rofl: :rofl:

If it starts, runs, and accelerates as expected... I'd say it's probably in decent enough shape, as long as you anticipate the regular maintenance type stuff as described by others.

These things are pretty indestructible.

Wingscribe wrote:Let me make sure I got all of this straight:

Always ride in shorts, regardless of the weather - check!
Brand-new scooter for only $489 delivered to my door, thanks ebay! - check!
Skateboard shoes > motorcycle boots - check!
My old autocross helmet (SA95) is perfect, but only if I have it on backwards - check!
MSF courses are a waste of money and time (I already know everything) - check!
Salvage titles are fun - check!

Am I missing anything???
Scooter Commuter
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wingscribe wrote:A local scooter shop, Metroscooter, has a used Buddy 125 and several new ones in stock...
But there is just something about that two-tine International line...shouldn't matter, but it does.
The 125 is the real bargain among the Buddys and the performance difference among models really isn't very pronounced. And about color. Panel swaps among Buddys are easy and panels are fairly cheap. You could create any two color job you liked at modest cost.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Wingscribe wrote:
Am I missing anything???
Well, since you asked, the brand of oil is VERY important(Motul). And don't dare run ethanol in that carbed scooter. LMAO. You will fit in here just fine, Mike.

I almost forgot. If it doesn't start or isn't idling properly....SEAFOAM!!!!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

KrispyKreme wrote:Well, since you asked, the brand of oil is VERY important(Motul). And don't dare run ethanol in that carbed scooter. LMAO. You will fit in here just fine, Mike.
Too bad this isn't a Vespa site. You could tell the OP to disconnect the Evap system also. :wink:
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Okay, some more sage-like advice:

SEAFOAM is the fastest color, and I can swap out body panels to make the scooter morer faster - check!
The Buddy is indestructible - challenge accepted - check!
125 is better than 150. If I swap the 150 badging for 125, 5 hp boost - check!
Ethanol motor oll is important, mix it with the gas because this is a 2-stroke - check!
Evaporate my disconnet system to turn it into a Vespa - check!

Got it.

In all seriousness, is there a good trick to determine whether tires need to be replaced? The old penny trick on car tires work on 2-wheel tired?

Thanks again...You are some good folks, I don't care what the Zuma guys say about you all...(flame suit on).

Mike
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Dooglas wrote:
KrispyKreme wrote:Well, since you asked, the brand of oil is VERY important(Motul). And don't dare run ethanol in that carbed scooter. LMAO. You will fit in here just fine, Mike.
Too bad this isn't a Vespa site. You could tell the OP to disconnect the Evap system also. :wink:
Are you facking with me?

https://youtu.be/lQkpes3dgzg
MYSCTR

2009 Pamplona Review

Post by MYSCTR »

Hey Mike,

Couple of thoughts;
1) The 2009’s sold in December came with a special ‘dressed for the holidays’ with the $450 in adds this scoot has with exactly that windshield. My guess this IS one of those scoots so it was all part of the deal (FREE).
2) The front tire can easily be the original (we have gotten as much as 11,000 on our front Maxxis tires) yet at 7,000 miles, the rear tire could help tell you how it was ridden. If the rear is original (and really worn) then my guess it had a light gentle rider. If the tread shows decent wear, my guess is it is the second tire and you could be looking at replacing soon meaning the rider is not so light or rides the crap out of it, or if it looks to be brand new, they just swapped it to sell it and you could be looking at the first scenario.
3) These scoots are pretty much indestructible with a little maintenance. Garage kept is good, should not see rust on bolts etc. Check the oil to see that is not low or burnt. Needing an oil change may only be time, not miles which is not bad to do anyway just to start your records with.
4) Start it up to see that it idles smoothly. If it has been sitting long the battery may need replaced or if it has been kept on a battery tender, then it should be fine. A cared for battery can last 17K or if not, may go out after one winter.
5) We have never changed rollers/belt before 9K. From the listing my guess is you are fine for at least 2K.
6) My wife also rides a 2009 International still today and has never had anything mechanically other than general maintenance. She has over 15,700 miles with the same Prima pipe you have on this one.
7) If they serviced it on a regular basis and can give you the receipts, I would say you are golden, if not then have your local dealer check it out. It would be worth a few bucks for peace of mind. They may even ‘know’ this scooter and have records of when it was brought in for service.
8) Other than mechanical something to look for or get checked out. Ride it and see if it holds a straight line or pulls hard either way. Check to see the handle bar is perpendicular to the body or line of travel. Our very first 125 Buddy we purchased years ago had the handle bar about 15 degrees off and we ended up replacing the tree, which means something like $450. With the center stand down, rotate the back tire fairly quick by hand to see if it is smooth with no ‘hop’ in the rear wheel, you can do the front as well with a little effort just to see if the wheels are in round (not smashing into curbs) so it will ride smoothly and not wear tires out prematurely.
9) One last note. If this were local at 2K, I would have a problem not buying it. They get in your blood. You HAVE to buy it. You will learn everything else. Just enjoy!
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Thanks MYSCTR,

That is a great checklist, I can't even come up with a snarky reply, so you must have done a great job.

I will keep everyone's advice in mind. I am meeting with the seller tomorrow (not too far from our local Genuine dealer) and I will let you all know how it turns out.

Unless I buy the darned thing, then I should be riding it, right???

Thanks again,

Mike
Benzo Mike

Post by Benzo Mike »

The heavy sun fading on the pieces around the floormat and rear mud flap (the red looks pretty pink) makes me think it may no have been garaged all the time. If that is the case, a quick corrosion check on bolt heads may be telling...

If you do buy this thing, I am over by Milford and can help you out here and there with mechanical stuff.

As for a "good" price, I would say no more than $1500-$1700, tops.

All parts for these things are ridiculously cheap, relatively speaking. So as long as it runs, you are at very low risk for getting stuck replacing a "big ticket" item down the road. There are no "big ticket" items, really.
New signature - you don't care what else I have, and I don't care to tell you about it. I have a 2009 Buddy Italia, let's leave it at that.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

Benzo Mike wrote:The heavy sun fading on the pieces around the floormat and rear mud flap (the red looks pretty pink) makes me think it may no have been garaged all the time. If that is the case, a quick corrosion check on bolt heads may be telling...
Just curious, what would you be looking for and worried about? Just the cost difference of pristine vs more wear and tear?

I have one of the first "sunset" Buddies with the original "orange" (not tan) inside panels that have become so pale the DMV described it as orange and "white" when I transferred to Colorado. But that has nothing to do with where she sleeps. That just shows that she's been out and about on sunny days.

And, fwiw, I'll be the first to admit, my Buddy has been rode hard and put away salted and wet. Lots of rust on bolts, chrome and exhaust pipe, torn seat cover (YAY Cheeky Seat covers for the fix!), etc. But I've never had a mechanical problem to speak of despite all that abuse (other than my recent not-riding spell, which was easily solved considering the possibilities).
Scooter Commuter
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

Wingscribe wrote:
SEAFOAM is the fastest color, and I can swap out body panels to make the scooter morer faster - check!
As a Seafoam buddy rider, yes, Seafoam is the fastest color. And the best. XD (seriously, though, with a performance transmission in my scoot, I've gotten my 50cc up to 50mph - it's a little terrifying, yeah, but amazing!)
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Thanks again all,

I have 14 hours until I meet up with the owner (not that I am counting...at all...).

Here's hoping I fit...my upper legs are juuuuust getting to that point of hitting the handlebars if I turn them, but that was on a different buddy, I read something here about the Italia having different seats...

I guess if that one does not work there's a Hooligan out in Bloomington, IN that has been listed for a while...pretty sure I could fit on one of those.

Good night MB folk,

Mike
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wingscribe wrote:Here's hoping I fit...my upper legs are juuuuust getting to that point of hitting the handlebars if I turn them, but that was on a different buddy, I read something here about the Italia having different seats...
Nope, the dimensions of the Italia seat are no different than the dimensions of the seat on other Buddys. The Buddy really is a better fit for short to medium sized riders. Be sure it works for you.
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Dooglas wrote:
Wingscribe wrote:Here's hoping I fit... I read something here about the Italia having different seats...
Nope, the dimensions of the Italia seat are no different than the dimensions of the seat on other Buddys. The Buddy really is a better fit for short to medium sized riders. Be sure it works for you.
Agreed - Our son @ 6'3" looks rather goofy when he stops by and jumps on one (just for fun). Maye it is because he is so lanky…

What you may have referenced is the "solo" seat that originally came on the Blackjack model. It can be swapped out on any Buddy, no matter the engine size as they are all the same frame 2006-2015.

One word of caution on the solo seat, try it before you get one. They are very plush (soft) and really made for a lighter person in our opinion although we like the very low back support at the back end when you push into it.. You may be better off taking the stock seat and getting it rebuilt so you can pick your firmness and have them mark where you will sit on it.

Best of luck!
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

If you can get a scooter to do the Scooter only MSF course, I *highly* recommend it! They actually taught things for scooters only which was quite helpful. I got more comfortable on my own scooter with the course as well.

I was one of those crazies who knew I wanted a scooter, got my M class temps, bought a scooter with out ever driving one and then a month later took the MSF class to get my M class on the license. I live in Ohio and with the Cincy CL listing, I would guess you're doing the same thing I did last year for the state.

It actually only took me 1 month from start of getting my temps to getting my M class license. I loved that class!
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Well, there's good news and bad news...

The bad news is that my new damn scooter will not fit into the back of the van!!! I have to head back out there with my buddy's truck to get her home.

I guess you can tell what the good news is...can I be known as "Pamplona Mike" now?

Blue, you nailed it right on the head. The course is four weeks from today, and I will have scooter in hand, and maybe get a hitch carrier for my car...we'll see.

The new ride (want to call her Veronica, we'll see if that sticks), needs a new rear tire, has a little fading of the maroon pieces, but other than that seems pretty sound.

She was straight and true through the test drive, and I was really shocked at the pep it had.

Well, I gotta head back to town and get my trusty steed...

Thanks again to everyone here, I guess you've got me now (poor bastards...)

Mike
MYSCTR

Post by MYSCTR »

Wingscribe wrote:...the good news is...can I be known as "Pamplona Mike" now?

The new ride (want to call her Veronica, we'll see if that sticks), needs a new rear tire, has a little fading of the maroon pieces, but other than that seems pretty sound. Mike
PIMP MIKE… er I meant to say 'Pamp Mike' he he

Fading is pretty easy - look for automotive restore products with a little elbow grease and she will look most awesome for a new used scoot!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wingscribe wrote:I guess you can tell what the good news is...can I be known as "Pamplona Mike" now?
Congratulations Mike. Ride safe, have fun. (We are looking forward to photos, you know what they say - if there are no pictures, it didn't happen)
Slam

Post by Slam »

Congrats on the scooter. You will love it!
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

:clap: Congrats "Pamplona Mike". Be safe out there. And when in doubt.....
Attachments
41vPQrSRz-L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
41vPQrSRz-L__SL500_AA300_.jpg (14.14 KiB) Viewed 3175 times
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

So, let me get this straight? I use the motor oil to get the color back into the plastic panel...

Add elbow grease to top of my engine oil...

WHOOPS, I put the pictures in the wrong order and don't know how to change them (other than to delete and start over - too lazy for that). If only someone here had a blue Buddy capable of time travel to unravel this mess...

Oh well, in reverse order of the day:
Attachments
Here my new baby is in transit...turns out that an Odyssey and a Buddy are not a good combination...but my Buddy's (see what I did there?) F-350 was more than up to the challenge.
Here my new baby is in transit...turns out that an Odyssey and a Buddy are not a good combination...but my Buddy's (see what I did there?) F-350 was more than up to the challenge.
IMG_2200.jpg (71.17 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
After taking a few spins up and down my street, I had a little photo shoot.
After taking a few spins up and down my street, I had a little photo shoot.
IMG_2202.jpg (63.79 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
She could use a good cleaning and just a bit of TLC.
She could use a good cleaning and just a bit of TLC.
IMG_2203.jpg (65.5 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
IMG_2204.jpg
IMG_2204.jpg (58.01 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
My wife thought it fitting to give my daughter her birthday present a bit early.  She has been a trooper through the trials of the scooter search.
My wife thought it fitting to give my daughter her birthday present a bit early. She has been a trooper through the trials of the scooter search.
IMG_2205.jpg (68.66 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
My Son was not to be outdone on the scooting front.  He asked for a ride, but I told him not until I had my endorsement and got a helmet for the wee-ones.
My Son was not to be outdone on the scooting front. He asked for a ride, but I told him not until I had my endorsement and got a helmet for the wee-ones.
IMG_2207.jpg (57.96 KiB) Viewed 3167 times
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Hey, looking good!
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice scooter...good score!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Wingscribe wrote:So, let me get this straight? I use the motor oil to get the color back into the plastic panel...
Try a heat gun. Not too hot and not too close, but it works on some plastics. You can also use Pledge to keep them bright once you've reworked 'em with a a heat gun. I tried this on an old Zuma floorboard and it worked surprisingly well. I used a 600F setting on the heat gun, never got closer than 3" from the surface and kept moving around the part to prevent localized melting.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

az_slynch wrote:Try a heat gun. Not too hot and not too close, but it works on some plastics. You can also use Pledge to keep them bright once you've reworked 'em with a a heat gun. I tried this on an old Zuma floorboard and it worked surprisingly well. I used a 600F setting on the heat gun, never got closer than 3" from the surface and kept moving around the part to prevent localized melting.
Whoa, you are certainly a braver DIYer than I. I don't think I'd have the nerve to try that unless I had a spare panel for experimentation. One comment to the OP. Removing and rattle can spraying of Buddy panels is also fairly easy and comes out quite well if you are careful with surface prep. Looks like it is mostly the matte panels behind the leg shield and in front of the seat that show some fading and staining.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

I have a heat gun but not (yet) the courage to use it.

In the past, I have used Forever Black to some great results, but they sadly don't make Forever Maroon...

I might consider the rattle-can option, anyone do this to a Pamplona before? Any recommendations on which color/type to use?

If i try to eyeball a color match, clashing is guaranteed...

In other news, I took the new scoot (Leaning towards 'Jarvis' as a name - it's got that Iron Man thing going on) for about 6 miles around my neighborhood. It was colder than crap, low-thirties with wind gusts up to about mach 7 (give or take).

I took it really slow, just getting used to a new way of moving around. After a few wobbily starts, I began to really love this thing. Yesterday was my first time driving anything two-wheeled (without pedals) and I am regretting not doing something like this earlier.

On thing is certain, I am the old game in town in my small-town Ohio suburb, getting some strange looks, but more smiles than grimaces.

Froze my butt off, but no regrets, none at all...
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wingscribe wrote:I might consider the rattle-can option, anyone do this to a Pamplona before? Any recommendations on which color/type to use?
I agree. Don't try to match. Better to pick complementary colors. I have had good experiences with Krylon Fusion which is made to adhere well to plastics.
Kevinpsu160

Post by Kevinpsu160 »

My Buddy 150 fit in my Odyssey minivan. I don't have the windshield or back trunk on my scooter. I removed the middle seats and used the metal seat holders on the minivan floor to strap the scooter down with some tie down straps. I did have to remove the mirrors on the scooter.
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

I'm a little late to the party, but welcome to the Buddy International family.

I will say a couple things. Ours was a 2008 with 1600 miles on it when we bought it in 2013. I had to replace the CDI and stator in the first year. Good news is, they aren't very expensive, and with the proper tools, replacement is easy. We also needed a new battery, but the previous owner had only put about 500 miles on it in 2 years and the bad stator didn't help.

I've used Turtle Wax trim restorer on the faded plastic, and it works fairly well.

And finally, buy this: http://www.amazon.com/PIAA-70473-Super- ... SYKSZA4371

Seriously. Do it now. The difference is (no pun intended) night and day.
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

Congratulations on the new ride! It looks great and I hope you have fun learning/riding.

One of the ladies at the MSF course I took had an awesome hitch on the back of her SUV. Cute thing too is her SUV and scooter were the same shade of seafoam green. Anyway it looked like a cool way to transport the scooter.

I just borrowed my dad's van for that weekend. They were nice and let me store the scoot with the motorcycles over night so I didn't have to try to load it up myself with the ramps. It wasn't hard, but it was just me doing it so I took the easy way out and enlisted my husband to help me load the scoot on the way back.

I like your idea of name (Jarvis). Bessie came out of my mouth quite early and well it stuck. She's a blue Brit 170i so that explains the username I think.

Weather today was better than yesterday at least and a good warming trend is happening. I cannot wait to get out more.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Goodie! More advice for the newbie!

Turtle Wax...hmmm....interesting...

Brighter bulbs...interesting too...

I had the windshield and mirrors off, but I needed another 4-6 inches of height from the back hatch opening of the van.

I might have been able to fit the scoot into the Ody, but it would have involved leaning it over to some degree, and I was not sure at what point the fluids would start coming out of my 5-minute-old-to-me purchase.

You know that little voice in the back of your head that warns you against doing something stupid?

I listened to it.

For once.

Never again.

Assembled my super-high-quality hitch mount motorcycle carrier yesterday, and Amazon has promised to get me the actual hitch assembly for my car by tomorrow - plenty of time for the MSF class, or whatever.

Unfortunately, I did not get the maroon car, or the Mocha scooter for the purpose of color coordination...I can always swap out the body panels.

Or get a new car...whatever...

Today is a trip to the title agency and registrar (did I spell that right?)

Then I will be legal, and a real boy Gepetto! (I crack me up)
bluebessie

Post by bluebessie »

We have a short bed conversion van. Just the right height for everything. Good thing because we loaded my scooter into the back the night before and just locked it up safely.

If something happens to my scooter I might need to haul it, but generally speaking I have little desire to transport it other than riding it there myself. Unfortunately where the course was located, I couldn't easily ride it and make it on time ;)

I hope your trip went well. I hate dealing with the BMV and whatever registrations we have to do. Glad I can do renewals via mail at least now.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Five minutes at the title bureau, the walk next door and ten minutes later for registration and plates, think I am bumping the karmic curve here, but I'll take what I get.

Hitch assembly will arrive today, I might put that on tonight OR I can put my new plate on my (now legal) scoot and head out...

Do I need to tell you which one is winning?

It's almost 60 here in the Buckeye state, and I was sorely tempted to ride int work today, but with a whopping hour of experience on two wheels, I think I'll wait until I have a bit more seat time.

There I go, listening to the voice of caution again.

I also ordered a Corazzo 5.0 jacket (they are on sale in preparation for the 6.0 version) and it should arrive here soon.

Armor good.

Me ride tonight.