considering a roughhouse 50...a few ???'s

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kmrcstintn

considering a roughhouse 50...a few ???'s

Post by kmrcstintn »

I am considering a purchase on a Roughhouse 50cc 2T (new or recent year leftover) when my tax refund arrives; my last go around with a 50cc scooter (used 2009 Piaggio Fly 50 4T) wasn't too hot...I didn't like it; I plan on having the scoot derestricted and running it stock...

what is the top speed that I can expect indicated on the speedo? (rider weighs 210lbs & average cargo weight will be 15-25lbs);

what is the average fuel economy? (once broken in between 600-1000 miles)

what is a decent/good type of 2T injection oil to use? mostly everything I see is multipurpose stuff (air cooled, outdoor equipment, snowmobile, TCW3) and nothing dedicated for 2T scooters/motorcycles...

do the spark plugs get fouled alot?

thanks
did anyone get the license plate number of the bus that just hit me?!?
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I have not ridden a Roughhouse, but I have some 2T experience. Top speed on 50cc scooters sold in the US is 30 mph. You can go faster by "de-restricting" the scooter. Maybe 40 mph or better depending on conditions. De-restricting is different from hot rodding a motor and you can do both. There are plenty of guides on the internet for de-restricting 2T scooters. Just google it.
-Modern 2T engines don't foul plugs unless something is wrong with them. Leaving the choke on too long or revving the engine too low can foul a plug. A Roughhouse that is fouling plugs may need the injection pump adjusted.
-I have never been real picky about 2T oil because it gets burned anyway (it does not stay in the engine very long like 4T oil). A de-restricted scooter, on the other hand, is operating close to its limits most of the time so I would use a name brand oil. I had good luck with Yamalube 2T oil from your local Yamaha dealer.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
KooK

Post by KooK »

I have had my Rough house for a few months now. Have about 250 miles on it and love it so far. My top speed as per the speedometer is just a tick over 40 mph. It is not fully broken in yet, so it may go a bit higher. I use it to commute to the French quarter and the few streets I go on the speed limit is 35, so I don't need anymore, but there is not much more to be had. I weigh 225 and have about 20 lbs under my seat.

My mpgs so far is low to mid 70s, I have only filled up 4 times,,and recently started to use fuelly for 3 of them. So hopefully it will also go up a bit after fully breaking in.

As for oil, the dealer I bought it from gave me a bottle of oil, so I will use that till I need more. That bottle will last a long time so I'm not worried about that yet.

I really can't wait till the tires need replacing. The luggy tires drive me crazy as I can "feel" the lugs when driving and fast cornering is kinda hairy on asphalt.

My only few gripes are the ignition key placement and the rear shock.
The ignition location makes it a challenge for me with big hands to get the key in or out quickly and effortlessly.. it is to close to the "wall" and is a challenge for me.

The rear shock might be all me, but there is only about an inch of travel once I sit on it , and can bottom it out readily. I wish there were a bit more travel in it. I bought a cheap eBay shock to see if that would help, but I haven't installed it yet.

Oh, and I drive at night, and the lighting sucks. There is no projection in the headlight, again, I bought the PIAA hs1 bike, but haven't installed that yet either to see if it helps. I want to install some projector lamps to aid in lighting, but that will obviously wait till I have time, which I have little of.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I'm getting 50mph indicated with 270lbs on the roughhouse. It's derestricted and the rear shock is set on the high setting. Fuel mileage is in the 70's (wot most of the time). Tires work good in the snow and dirt, and well enough on blacktop. Brakes are good enough. The seat was a little under padded, so I got Cheeky Seats to make me a cover with some extra padding. If you want pics-
https://adamdanger.wordpress.com/
I'm honestly pretty happy with the roughhouse.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
boyjeenyus

love my roughhouse

Post by boyjeenyus »

Mine's derestricted, added a fancy $20 NYC variator and lighter roller weights--I'm a good bit lighter than you at 150ish lbs. I also added a medium-sized prima windshield, which helps a lot. Mine will hit 50-55 indicated on flat ground no problem, every time. Slight uphills don't affect me much, slightly downhill and i'll be at 60 mph + indicated. I feel safe on 45 mph roads with other cars, though rarely I do get passed. I just use any 2 stroke oil. I haven't kept track, but I'd guess that i'm in the 70-80 mpg range WOT most of the time.

LOVE my bike. Hope that helps!
Stephen
agrogod

Post by agrogod »

Since I have turned my RH into a project bike I can tell you that when I was at 280 and before mods it gave 40 - 45 indicated WOT on flats. Hills were a burden until I changed the contra spring and fuel was at 75 - 80 mpg. Rider and riding conditions will have a major impact on what you expect from it.
"When your mouth is yapping your arms stop flapping, get to work" - a quote from my father R.I.P..
always start with the simple, it may end up costing you little to nothing
nysheepy

Post by nysheepy »

Bought my RH50 last year and had the dealer derestrict it right away so I can't say I know how it felt restricted. My weight is 185 and a max top speed gps verified was 63mph (some downhill and probably some favorable winds behind me), never able to recreate that speed again, but my normal WOT top speed is upper 40's. There's not too much open road during my normal commutes.
I do have 6.5 sliders and rest is OEM.

2T oil I use is Motul's. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000VJ ... UTF8&psc=1

Avg fuel economy is 70-80 mpg.

@boyjeenyus do you have a picture or a link to which/where u got the prima windshield? I presume the windshield will def help w/ top speed.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

If your RH will be carrying a lot of weight and you possibly want a smother and more stable ride, you might consider the RH Titanium. It has 12" wheels, street tires, and a sport shock at the rear. I weigh just under 200 lb and the ride is firm but smooth on my RH Titanium. It is quite stable at that speed, even when cornering. I've considered adjusting the rear spring to make it a bit softer, but have not messed with it yet. It may make it less stable at speed however. I think I have just talked myself out of messing with it...ha ha.

I've had my RH up to 48mph (indicated) on level ground, but I have not really pushed it yet. Seems about on par with what others have found.
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

The reason I went with the regular version was the knobby tires and front fender clearance.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Run a good quality 2T oil and its almost impossible to foul a plug on a RH50. I put in a new one every few thousand miles, just because.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Bobbed06

Post by Bobbed06 »

viney266 wrote:Run a good quality 2T oil and its almost impossible to foul a plug on a RH50. I put in a new one every few thousand miles, just because.
How many miles is on your stella?
R50Rider

Post by R50Rider »

If it's your only two-wheeled transportation and need to go on roads over 40MPH then consider the Buddy 125 or something else. . .Hooligan perhaps. If the roads are 40MPH or less then a de-restricted Roughhouse should do the trick. . .as long as you have a motorcycle license and insure it. Check your local state laws though. It seems nobody does the posted speed limit so figure whatever that is and add 10MPH to it for real-life conditions to keep up with. When I get someone crawling my back in a 30 MPH zone I look back at them as if to say "What's the rush?" "What is your problem. . .is it personal?". . .and then just continue throttle on. Too many fish in the tank but that is another topic for another forum. . . ;^)