Thinkin about buying a buddy

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

WannabeAudrey

Thinkin about buying a buddy

Post by WannabeAudrey »

Hello all!

Yesterday, I took my very first scooter ride EVER! I know, it makes me sound so repressed and dull. But I'm not, and I have never felt so alive, free, liberated, happy as I did! So, obviously, I've got to buy a scooter, because that ride was enough to hook me!

My dealer says the Buddy is for me, I'm a short girl with zero mechanical inclination. I'm looking for advice-- it is fairly easy to pass the motorcyle driving test? Is insurance a beast? is the buddy a good scooter for a newbie? How safe are they really?

And advice at all would be much appreciated, thanks!
I want to break free.
AxeYrCat

Post by AxeYrCat »

Don't worry, I was anti-scooter (personally -- I had no qualms with other people on scooters) up until a few weeks before I purchased my Buddy.

If you were repressed, I was the anti-Christ.

Buddies seem to be just fine for inexperienced riders -- if you've got good balance and you stay alert, I don't imagine you'll have any problems. That said, two-wheeled vehicles don't get seen by all the four-wheeled traffic out there, and your scooter won't offer much protection in an accident. They're as safe as you are, I guess...

Insurance for me is about $20/month, and I'm an unmarried 26 year old male with a few speeding tickets and a couple not-at-fault accidents on my record. Yours should be less. :)

I highly suggest in investing in a good helmet and a set of riding gloves at the least. I also ride with a jacket, but that's a personal call...

My take on it is that a decent jacket will be worth its cost (in flesh and ER costs) should something bad ever happen.
Huh? What just happened?
Scootin_in_MS

Post by Scootin_in_MS »

Since you have no experience at all, you might want to take the MSF course in your area. That'll give you some good practice, pointers, and get you through the driver's license test.

Welcome to the world of Scooters!
Jody
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

Scootin_in_MS wrote:Since you have no experience at all, you might want to take the MSF course in your area. That'll give you some good practice, pointers, and get you through the driver's license test.
Can we get an Amen in the house?
Scootin_in_MS wrote:Welcome to the world of Scooters!
Can we get a second Amen in the house?

Seriously, welcome to the wacky adventure that is scootering.

Ride Safe!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

It would be great to have even more Cleveland Buddiasts .hey maybe that should one of the tee shirt slogans : Buddyism-...yes it is a religion
Anyhow I GET what you are saying...why did I wait this long??? the written test if fine, but you do need to read the book :oops: . the road portion I am told by more than one person is only hard b/c you are soo nervous. I have not taken it yet. Once I receive confirmation I can ride the Buddy in the state bmv class I am registered for, I will take the test in the class. If not, I will take the test on my own. My husband just took it, and said it is easy on the Bud, but he was nervous...which is scary b/c he is not a nervous type guy. I have major test taking anxiety...so yikes. But I have almost a year to worry about since I have the temps.insurance is reasonable, checked around for quotes and then went with a state farm scooterist , eer agent Tim. Phil from POC can put you in touch if you like or I can dig up his # if you want to get a quote. I do not know If I can answer the safety question, but my opinion is the Buddy is very easy to drive which could make us newbies over confident in our skills which is dangerous. So I am saying the problem is less about the bike and more about us-the rider. My question is you know your getting it anyway....so why go through the motions of asking practical questions, youre done for my friend. :lol:
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

The ability to get your endorsement through the MSF class is really just the gravy, the real benefit of course is being able to practice on a closed course (i.e., no cars to worry about) with trained instructors there to make sure you do the right thing.

Chances are you will not be able to take the beginner class with your scoot, as I think everyone rides the class-provided motorcycles. If you're familiar with a clutch, that should not be a problem, as all the bikes are 250cc or less, very small, and easy to handle.

Good luck, and don't put that class/license off!

Statistics show that riders without a proper endorsement are considerably more likely to crash... likely due to the lack of training and/or experience.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

truthfully I have not a lot of interest in taking the class on a motorcycle. I learned to use a clutch in a car when I was 17 and then never drove anything but automatic since the lesson. As I see it, I will be wasting my time stressing about learning to use the clutch and the shift rather than learning on the scooter I ride every day and want to learn more on. I may go for the classroom part though.
lotte

Post by lotte »

Hey there! You've got your short n00b with zero mechanical inclination right here :bat: , and I'm LOVING my Buddy!!

I feel that the Buddy is a really well-balanced scooter, and I have no problem riding it at all. Plus, after Phil (of Pride of Cleveland Scooters) shaved down the seat and having purchased platform sneakers, I can pretty much lay my feet down flat when I come to a stop; it feels perfectly comfortable and safe.

As for the motorcycle license test, I went ahead and took the Basic Riding Course, but I struggled like mad because they have you take the course on actual manual shifting motorcycle. I told the instructor that I have a full automatic scooter, but he and my classmates laughed at me and told me that I'll have to learn how to ride a motorcycle then. :( I was the only idiot who dropped my bike (6 times... they weigh so much, it was hard for me to keep them balanced straight when the bike tilted when coming to a stop) and who stalled the engine 2-5 times every hour, having had absolutely no experience with clutches and changing gears. :oops: On top of all that, I really struggled with how differently motorcycles feel and handle as opposed to my happy little scooter I've become so used to riding. I was the only person who had to take the whole test over again on the third day because I've struggled so much (and stalled the engine,) while others waited and watched (YIPES!)

After that was all over with, the same instructor told me that had I known beforehand, I could have called the state capital BMV headquarter and taken the whole course on my scooter.

Never before did I want to see something explode that badly! :lol:

So, I guess what I wanted to relay to you through all that shameles venting (sorry!) was...

If you don't have any desire to ride motorcycles or manual shift scooters, I would ask the Bureau of Motor Vehicles about taking the course on your scooter beforehand.

I expect a lot of people to disagree with me on this, but to me, it would have been much more helpful if I were trained how to handle different maneuvers and situations on my scooter, which has a very different mechanism and feel than motorcycles.

Don't get me wrong, it was a good experience, and definitely worth the money (total 18 hours of lesson and only $25!) and heck, I've learned how to operate manual shifting. But I just wanted to let you know that the option of taking the BRC on your scooter is available (I'd check with your state BMV, though :wink: )
Last edited by lotte on Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:01 am, edited 6 times in total.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Lotte- thanks for the great info and this explains why I have gotten sketchy, inconsisitant info on whether I can take the class on the scooter in OH. It appears you just need to jump through some loop holes. Earlier this week I made some phone calls about using the scoot, but no return calls. What a freakin nightmare- your story is exactly how I imagined it would be! you are such a tropper.

If the real objective is to have people be as safe as possible then they need to accommodate the needs of everyone, so people will be more not LESS likely to take the training. I think a lot of it is these instructors (who I have heard also have the discretion to make the call) want to see people like us "pay our dues" on a shift bike. it is not about paying dues, it is about the safety of ourselves and others and having as many people as possible take the course. rant over.
golfingirl

Post by golfingirl »

WannabeAudrey,

Welcome to Modern Buddy. You certainly sound like you have the scooter bug. I'm sorry to say, it only gets worse. Welcome to your new friends who share this fantastic addiction.

I must agree with your dealer, the Buddy is for you. It's a great little scooter that fits vertically challenged people well. It's also not too heavy which makes the likelihood of dropping it less. The Buddy is very stable with great pickup and speed... all these features make it safer to ride.

Like you, I am new to the scootering world and have owned my Buddy about a month with 500 + miles on it so far. The twist 'n' go style is perfect for the new scooterist. There's a lot to learn with your first scooter and focusing on switching gears can double the stress. This way, you focus on the road, the traffic and maneuvering thru those perfect turns.

I haven't taken my MSF course yet, so I can't comment on that. I have my learner's permit and have been reading 'Proficient Motorcycling' which I (and many, many others) strongly recommend you pick up at Borders. It is an excellent book to help you understand how safe scootering is and to help anyone on two wheels be a much safer rider!

Cheers!

:mrgreen:
Laura
lotte

Post by lotte »

peabody99 wrote:If the real objective is to have people be as safe as possible then they need to accommodate the needs of everyone, so people will be more not LESS likely to take the training. I think a lot of it is these instructors (who I have heard also have the discretion to make the call) want to see people like us "pay our dues" on a shift bike. it is not about paying dues, it is about the safety of ourselves and others and having as many people as possible take the course. rant over.
Word, peabody99! well said!!!! :clap: :cry: :clap: :cry: :clap: :clap:
Icelander

Post by Icelander »

Taking the driving course on a motorcycle is like learning to drive in a tractor trailer: The machine's bigger, there's more to think about, and the only real similarity is that it's got four wheels.
Not really from Iceland.
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Buddyism..... :rofl:
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
rickyd410

Post by rickyd410 »

I'm in the market for a scooter as well, and the Buddy is at the top of my list. But I'm one of those people that don't like buying new vehicles because of the depreciation that occurs. So, I'm looking around for a good used scooter. I've been on scoot.net , craigslist and ebay.

Do any of you guys/gals regret buying the brand new buddy as opposed to waiting and trying to find a used one?

What do you guys think of the Honda Reflex? I rode one and they are smooth. I have heard that they're a little shaky in the wind due to their body design and light weight.

I haven't ridden a buddy yet, because I don't have my motorcycle license. But am going to take the test today for my permit. I'll probably just go right to the buddy dealer after to test ride. (They have the cream 125 that I like)

I figure, I'll get the permit, buy a bike, practice, for a few weeks, then take the test. I chose to not go the motorcycle safety class right now. I'll probably do it next year..

I'd appreciate any help you guys can give me.
castleton

Post by castleton »

lotte wrote:If you don't have any desire to ride motorcycles or manual shift scooters, I would ask the Bureau of Motor Vehicles about taking the course on your scooter beforehand.

I expect a lot of people to disagree with me on this, but to me, it would have been much more helpful if I were trained how to handle different maneuvers and situations on my scooter, which has a very different mechanism and feel than motorcycles.
I totally agree. I e-mailed the CT dmv folks, and mailed a letter to the commissioner, but got no response other than a dry: "You must take the MSF course on a motorcycle."

Which sucks, but that said, I did feel that the course was worthwhile. I kinda felt that if I could ride this dinosaur, I could ride anything! And the Buddy felt SOOOO much better to ride after riding the clunker they provided.

But the really great part about the MSF, for me, was that I didn't have to take the driving test cold or under pressure. Taking it as part of the course just felt more relaxed, plus all the practice helped. And I passed, even tho' the instructor told me that my U-turn box was "abysmal" (said smilingly).

And it is sweeeet to have the M on my license and ride the buddy with a bit more confidence. I don't make U-turns frequently, anyways. (actually practiced the u-turn box on the buddy one day, and found it a little more stiff and needing about a foot bigger radius--which is very likely due to my inexperience and need to learn to throttle lightly).
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
WannabeAudrey

Thanks for all the help!

Post by WannabeAudrey »

Wow, I'm so thrilled with all the advice! I'm especially pleased to see so many scootin' enthusiasts from the great city of Cleveland! Any Cleveland-specific advice or tips anyone cares to offer?

I definitely do have the bug, I'm in the process of figuring out financial feasability right now... I hate when practicality undermines your gut instincts!

Also, for any ladies out there, is it actually possible to scoot to work and not look like a complete and utter wreck?

And was anyone else as unreasonably but totally consumed with the desire to get a scooter after their first ride? It's becoming like an obsession... :D
I want to break free.
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

Cleveland is great scootin' although I am dreading winter. I live in the flats and downtown, ohio city and tremont is great scootering. the biggest issue is the pot holes and uneven pavement...big chunks missing in road one day that was fine the day before. I ride to work everyday unless I have and appointment in a far flung suburb, and I dress casually for work most of the time. I have had to where dress slacks on the buddy a few times, but wore boots to keep safe. rain: So far I have not been grounded. I wait for it to pass before heading out or home. I live very close to my job which is great. If you are going to commute on your scooter it is a very practical decision-major gas and wear and tear savings. the metroparks is great scootering too. Check out the thread "cleveland connections" for more info. this is just my opinion but outside the inner ring burbs scare me...lots of aggressive, fast drivers. Do you live in Cleveland? if so you are good!
lotte

Re: Thanks for all the help!

Post by lotte »

WannabeAudrey wrote:Also, for any ladies out there, is it actually possible to scoot to work and not look like a complete and utter wreck?
I commute from about 25 miles away to work on my Buddy, but I find that it doesn't cause any problems with how I look for the rest of the day. My jacket prevents my shirt to have those lovely bug freckles, and I just carry my dress shoes in the underseat storage so I can swap my platform sole boots with them. But lately, I just walk straight into the company with my platform shoes! :P
lotte

Post by lotte »

Icelander wrote:Taking the driving course on a motorcycle is like learning to drive in a tractor trailer: The machine's bigger, there's more to think about, and the only real similarity is that it's got four wheels.
That's exactly how it felt! During the course, I've got my leg caught under the machine when I dropped the motorcycle, which fortunately didn't hurt me, but it still sucked :( . Once that motorcycle was down, there really was no way that I could pick that thing up on my own, especially with my leg pinned.

By the end of the course, my short arms and legs were super sore (my arms, from having have to strain to keep the motorcycle from tilting and having have to stretch out so far, since the handle bars on the motorcycles are farther apart, especially when curving. My legs, from having to have them spread so wide apart over the sides) for about a day.

But I do whole-heartledly agree with castleton in that my appreciation for my Buddy escalated to a whole new level after that experience!
NarMeowZippy

Post by NarMeowZippy »

I've looked into taking the course around my area eventhough I own a 50cc. I thought the experience would be good. With the research I did I found that most places will allow you to take the course on a scooter if you let them know ahead of time. I was amazed to see they even have scooter courses.

Oh, and the helmet hair... I have the solution. Before I put my helmet on I twist my hair up on the top of my head and then put my helmet on. That way I don't get helmet hair. Works everytime.
It's Scooter-rific!!!
rablack

Post by rablack »

rickyd410 wrote:I'm in the market for a scooter as well, and the Buddy is at the top of my list. But I'm one of those people that don't like buying new vehicles because of the depreciation that occurs. So, I'm looking around for a good used scooter. I've been on scoot.net , craigslist and ebay.

Do any of you guys/gals regret buying the brand new buddy as opposed to waiting and trying to find a used one?

No regrets on buying new. I always buy used cars but my Buddy dealer is close, I don't have time to work on it myself and I figured the two year warranty was worth it (if/when I need work done).
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

For helmet hair, I find it works best to just keep my hair about 1/8" long, then there are no worries! :P

Suppose that's a better option for the guys...
dahuffy

Post by dahuffy »

Here in Oklahoma, I was able to take the course on my Buddy. There was 3 or 4 other ones along with me.
"Cinderella is proof that a pair of shoes can change your life"
avidgirl

Re: Thanks for all the help!

Post by avidgirl »

WannabeAudrey wrote: And was anyone else as unreasonably but totally consumed with the desire to get a scooter after their first ride? It's becoming like an obsession... :D
I test drove the Buddy 125, got off the scooter, turned to my husband and said "So, I think I want to do this". :)

I pick up my creme Buddy in two weeks :D
Leigh

Creme Buddy 125
castleton

Post by castleton »

I test rode the People 150, wasn't real impressed, then test rode the orange Buddy which I bought the next day.

The spouse says I haven't talked about anything else since then (that was July 1st). :wink:
--Pam

"You're not the boss of me, now."
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

we just had our nieghbor and his girlfriend test ride ours...and they are sold-will probably be in scooter shop by next saturday. If these things did not sell themselves, I would think I could be a scooter sales women.
smorris

Post by smorris »

I took the MSF experienced rider course at Polaris Learning Center in Berea this summer. The head instructor is also the same guy that organizes the Lake Erie Loop scooter ride, and he and Phil put together a scooter only ERC added after another class. It was wonderful! There are plans to do it again possibly this fall, but more likely next spring. If I see notification, I'll certainly post here.

In talking to the instructor, he is very frustrated with Ohio's resistance to adding scooter classes for the Basic Rider Course. You can apply for an exemtion, but apparenly it is only based on physical handicap that makes you unable to ride one of their supplied motorcycles, not just a desire to learn on a scooter. He said state instructors are also prohibitted from giving private lessons...

My wife is a perfect example of somone who needs a scooter BRC. She never rode a bicycle until an adult (and then *very* little), and doesn't know the basics of getting around on two wheels that many new scooterists take for granted. (She crossed a railroad on her bicycle for the first time ever, and it happened to be one that was diagonal to the road. She didn't know to cross it square, got her front wheel in the groove, and went down, breaking her arm. That was about ten years ago, and dhe hasn't riden since.)

So now she decided to buy a Metropolitan to go riding with me, and I've taught her in a school parking lot, using small cones to set up slolams, braking boxes, etc, and she rides around the cul-d-sacs in the neighborhood. She has her learners permit, and doesn't plan on taking the license test. Just keep getting permits every year. She is mechanically obtuse (not picking on here, just stating what she would also say) and after years of trying cannot get the hang of shifting a car, and refuses to even try a motorcycle.

So, without a scooter specific MSF BRC class, she will continue to ride with only a modicum of skills in a hazzardous world!

(BTW, Aubrey, she used to work over by you, in the optometrists office across from Heinen's parking lot.)
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

2007 Suzuki Burgman 400 ____ 2006 Vespa LX150 ____ 1965 Vespa 180 SS
2002 Subaru WRX Wagon ____ 1958 MGA Roadster
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

thanks Steve for that. Honestly if what you are saying is correct, I think the state is doing a terrrible diservice to it citizens by not letting scooters in the class. When I registered or shall I say before I did, they assured my "no problem" and I just needed to call the instructor. well I have left two messages, and my friend also registered and left one and we have not heard back. Lottes message make it seem as if the state bmv will give the permission.. but now I am hearing there is a "disabled" caveat as well AAAAAAAAAAARh. Skills wise, I think I could pass the test on my own with practice- another friend and my husband recently took it and filled me in- but it was stressful! I operate horribly under pressure. I will make sure and keep everyone posted on the outcome. If I get a "no" or no call about this issue, I think I will will just cancel the class. I do not have the grace, humility, or pluck that Lotte has to endure that humiliation of dropping and stalling!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

found this on the BMV/BAsic rider website:
Motorcycle Ohio provides the motorcycles, helmets and a student workbook. All you have to provide is a desire to learn, a learner's permit, the proper clothing and the right attitude. Let's take a closer look at what is required to take and pass the Basic Rider Course:

Motorcycle Ohio provides the following:

Helmets -- 3/4 open face minimum Department of Transportation (DOT) approved.
There are a limited number of helmets available at each training site throughout Ohio including the mobile program's two tractor-trailer units.
There are both 3/4 open and full-face helmets available to borrow during the riding portions of the course. However if you borrow an open-faced helmet from Motorcycle Ohio or use your own, you will need to provide eye protection such as sun glasses, safety glasses or goggles.
Full-face helmets with the face shield closed do not require additional eye protection.
Students with their own helmets are encouraged to use their helmets, as long as the helmet is 3/4 minimum DOT approved and has a sticker certifying the DOT approval.
Motorcycles -- Under 350cc

Motorcycle Ohio, including the mobile program, has a sufficient number of training motorcycles so that each student has his or her own motorcycle to ride during the riding portions of the course.
Students who wish to use their own motorcycle must submit the following to Motorcycle Ohio:
Letter requesting permission from the MO office stating reason for using your two-wheeled motorcycle/scooter in the MO class. (Example: modification for handicap use)
State the motorcycle/scooter engine size. (no more than 350cc and a minimum of 100cc)
Name of insurance company that has the motorcycle/scooter insured.
On the day of range activities, after state approval has been given, the student must show proof of insurance to the instructor and have the motorcycle/scooter safety checked for roadworthiness.

the handicap is only an example of why you would bring scoot. I can say I believe it is safer to learn on my own machine. Period. it is worth a try, I will call and see about faxing letter though... as the class is in mid oct and you know how slow the state is!
smorris

Post by smorris »

^^^ That's good info! Deb's met is a 49.5cc, so that won't help, but you might be able to!

Good luck.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

I will let every know how my argument goes...is your vespa automatic?
smorris

Post by smorris »

peabody99 wrote:I will let every know how my argument goes...is your vespa automatic?
Yes, but if you are thinking about her using it for the class, she can barely touch the ground with it. She is 5'2", but short legged. A Buddy would be a perfect step up for her.
Steve - Avon, Ohio
The Morris Garage

BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

I can only speak for Ohio, but I did write the gov and request taking the BMC on my scooter. I requested and received a letter of approval and will be taking the class on my Buddy the end os September. Not sure if anyone else has had that luck but I'm gonna' be happy doing it all on an automatic.
peabody99

!

Post by peabody99 »

BoneGirl wrote:I can only speak for Ohio, but I did write the gov and request taking the BMC on my scooter. I requested and received a letter of approval and will be taking the class on my Buddy the end of September. Not sure if anyone else has had that luck but I'm gonna' be happy doing it all on an automatic.
congrats! did you actually have to write the gov or the Motorcycle Ohio people? Could you post the address or contact person you had? what was the turn around time of letters (time you sent vs rec' reply)? any hints on how you articulated your reasoning? My emphasis will be on safety... do share though! and enjoy the class. thanks for helping the rest of your OH sisters with your scooter scoop :D .
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

Students who wish to use their own motorcycle must submit the following to Motorcycle Ohio:
Letter requesting permission from the MO office stating reason for using your two-wheeled motorcycle/scooter in the MO class. (Example: modification for handicap use)
State the motorcycle/scooter engine size. (no more than 350cc and a minimum of 100cc)
Name of insurance company that has the motorcycle/scooter insured.
On the day of range activities, after state approval has been given, the student must show proof of insurance to the instructor and have the motorcycle/scooter safety checked for roadworthiness.
Sorry about the confusion. When I put "gov" that was short for government. I did exactly what you had written previously in this discussion. The address for letters of request is:

Motorcycle Ohio, 1970 Broad Street, Columbus, Ohio 43223. The response I received was within 2 weeks.

I told them I had no desire to ride a motorcycle now or in the future, that's why I bought a scooter. I also did not want to learn how to clutch. My profession as an x-ray tech has shown me enough splattered motorcyclists brains that you would never see me drive or be a passenger on a motorcycle. I was much more professional in the letter but you get the drift. Hope others step up to the plate to request permission.. I have a feeling I was lucky because I was one of the first (if not THE first) to request permission to use the scooter. Good luck!!!
peabody99

Post by peabody99 »

thanks Bonegirl! my tact will be similar as I am a public health person and can frame it in such a way that education on a scooter is better than no education at all! I will be report back in the event that our OH brothers and sisters are intereted.
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

That's great. I really stressed how afraid I was of motorcycles and it just seemed to the the ticket. Use the health material to your advantage as well as your desire to learn on a vehicle you are actually going to use: the Buddy!
vitaminC

Post by vitaminC »

BoneGirl wrote:My profession as an x-ray tech has shown me enough splattered motorcyclists brains that you would never see me drive or be a passenger on a motorcycle.
Just curious, but if you feel so strongly against motorcycles, how can you justify riding a scooter capable of nearly 70mph? Physics doesn't particularly care what style of vehicle you're riding, and crashing at a given speed will have very similar results whether on a scoot or a bike.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but it often has a lot more to do with the person in control vs the type of vehicle. Wearing a good helmet and other protective gear will go a long way towards keeping you safe, as will taking a safety course, so you're definitely a step ahead of many riders out there!

Chris
BoneGirl

Post by BoneGirl »

My best rationale is I won't be riding anywhere that my speed exceeds 55mph at best; no expressways or 60+mph 2-lane highways. I also feel more comfortable with my feet closer to the ground and not straddling a gas tank. I think proficiency in 2-wheel vehicles is the most important factor and that will be what I'm shooting for. Being an avid cyclist, I'm more than aware of the dangers lurking all around 2-wheels, whether scooters, bikes or motorcycles.
shane

Post by shane »

i took the MSF course last week here in west los angeles. admittedly, it was a bit frustrating having to learn on a manual motorcycle knowing i was only getting a license for an automatic scooter, but i looked at it as an opportunity to test ride a motorcycle, which is something i've always been interested in. it was tough at first getting used to the clutch operation after riding for months on my vino 50cc scooter with a permit. however, eventually, i picked it up and riding the motorcycle was actually pretty fun. though, i'm 6' 28 year-old male, so that probably helped a little with getting used to the bike. i passed the test fairly easily as did everyone else (except a petite asian chick who dropped her bike and decided to bail on the class).

all in all, i'd highly recommend the MSF class. i learned a lot. also, knowing i can ride a motorcycle feels good too. however, i do think people should be given the option to take the class on their scooter. if you think about it, you're not forced to take the car test using a manual shift. why force people to take the 2-wheel test on a manual bike? i'm familiar with the fact that the MSF has started offering a scooter course, but my understanding is that taking that class will not waive the dmv test. i'm tempted to start a campaign to change the laws. if scooters are so different than motorcycles that taking the test on one shouldn't grant an M-class license, then i think it's time they created a new scooter-specific type of license. :D