Longevity of Dr. Pulley Sliders

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DeeDee

Longevity of Dr. Pulley Sliders

Post by DeeDee »

Anyone have experience with how long a set of sliders will last? I installed sliders and a Koso variator in my 2008 125 about 3,800 miles ago. For the last month my scooter has sounded like a can of marbles are behind the CVT cover when at idle. I opened it up today. The variator was full of dark grey fine powder. I believe the Koso ramp slides are to blame. The sliders have horrible wear (see picture). Only experience I have with these are on my Yamaha C3 where they are still going strong after 16,000 miles. I put the stock variator and rollers back. Maybe the sliders would have fared better in the stock variator...?
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

Is it possible those sliders are fake and not actually dr pulley? I've got a Teflon coated Ncy variator and have had no issues. 4000 miles so far.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

We can always look at mine next oil change at your place, but the ones in my NCY variator have been there quite a while.

The ones I handed off to you from the rebuild had 10k miles on them, and looked only slightly worn.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I have some Dr. Pulley sliders that I have yet to install because my stock rollers are still doing great at 11,000 miles!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

k1dude wrote:I have some Dr. Pulley sliders that I have yet to install because my stock rollers are still doing great at 11,000 miles!
You have 11,000 miles on your stock rollers? I keep being impressed by the quality of these scooters. I think the Koso variator had some strange angle on the ramps. That and the 3 slides wore out really fast. I probably should have left well enough alone and kept the stock variator and rollers in from the beginning. I've had amazing results with CVT tuning on my C3. I just had to try.
jrsjr
Moderator Emeritus

Post by jrsjr »

You might want to go read this. And look carefully at the photos by Paperino halfway down the page in this thread. And the next to the last post by Silver Streak in this thread. Experience with sliders is all over the bell curve. The stuff I've linked above is some examples of when it didn't go right. Mostly though, folks seem to have gotten a lot more miles out of Dr Pully sliders than you got. Unfortunately, Dr Pulley sliders got to be sort of a sacred cow on some websites so I think folks are afraid to report bad experiences. That first thread I linked above from the Aprilia forum about the counterfeit slider knock-offs is pretty alarming and reflects the fact that the Pulley folks care very much about the reputation of their product. Just some things to think about while you're trying to figure this out, because lots of folks have had way better results than you did.

One thing to always remember is that sometimes, stuff happens. It can't be replicated or easily explained. It just does.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

I think it depends a bit on how you ride, too... I used to ride at the same speed for almost my entire commute. That wore through a set of rollers much more quickly than when my commute is more stop and go or varied roads with varied speeds.
Scooter Commuter
the3rdleonard

Post by the3rdleonard »

DeeDee wrote:
k1dude wrote:I have some Dr. Pulley sliders that I have yet to install because my stock rollers are still doing great at 11,000 miles!
You have 11,000 miles on your stock rollers? I keep being impressed by the quality of these scooters. I think the Koso variator had some strange angle on the ramps. That and the 3 slides wore out really fast. I probably should have left well enough alone and kept the stock variator and rollers in from the beginning. I've had amazing results with CVT tuning on my C3. I just had to try.

Super happy I found this thread. I was considering upgrading my sliders now that I have 15k+ on my stock set up. I think my stator just died so I'm about to replace that. All in all, I'm happy with my lil go machine! On that note, worth a performance upgrade on the stator, or should i stay stock? I mostly commute through town; weight 229lb; and occasionaly go out of state
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

the3rdleonard wrote:Super happy I found this thread. I was considering upgrading my sliders now that I have 15k+ on my stock set up. I think my stator just died so I'm about to replace that. All in all, I'm happy with my lil go machine! On that note, worth a performance upgrade on the stator, or should i stay stock? I mostly commute through town; weight 229lb; and occasionaly go out of state
I recommend the NCY stator, it isn't a performance stator but I found it to last longer than the stock ones do. My NCY stator has about 25,000 miles on it. I have had two stock/OEM stators fail, the first one at 4,800 miles and the second one went out after 3,000 miles. AND it's cheaper than OEM.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I wanted to post an update to my original post. I pulled out the Koso variator and mangled sliders, and re-installed the stock variator and rollers. They had roughly 600 miles on them when removed. The difference was night and day. Steep hills I used to have trouble hitting 30 on, I can now maintain 40mph +. I have Dr. Pully sliders in the stock variator on my 170i. I'm going to pull the variator at my next oil change and see how they are holding up.