Picking up a Pair of 170i Scooters on Saturday

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

deekortiz3

Picking up a Pair of 170i Scooters on Saturday

Post by deekortiz3 »

Hey Guys and Gals,

Been lurking the forum for awhile and finally took the plunge on purchasing a pair of 170i scooters. Getting one for myself and one for my girlfriend.

I think the Buddy 170i is going to be perfect for me. I currently have a Honda Metropolitan and a PCX150.

Started with the Metropolitan, it is a blast. Love the feel of it and just overall really enjoy its characteristics. Only downfall is obviously power. Most places I ride have a posted 40 MPH speed limit which makes it tough and at times a bit scary to be on the Metropolitan.

In comes the PCX150... Cool scoot. Rides smooth, good acceleration, very stable at higher speeds and can keep up with cars on the road with no issues. The downfall it has for me though is it just isn't as fun. That nimble feel that I get on the Metropolitan is just not there. It is a good scoot don't get me wrong but due to the size it just isn't as fun for me to ride.

So I am going for something in-between. :D

I had already called around to a couple dealers to see what kind of prices I could get. Today, I got a bit lucky and had some spare time to go check out a local place that had them in-stock, after sitting on one and getting a feel for it I was pretty much sold. I had already spoken to a few dealers so I called back the one that had given me the best quote and gave them a deposit.

Also, having the dealer install the low-profile seat on my lady's scoot. Hopefully, she will be able to flat-foot with the seat installed. I'll probably do the same for mine later on.

I'll post some pictures when I get them home. I've been wanting to make this purchase for quite awhile now. Really excited that it is finally happening. :mrgreen:
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Welcome to the club. You are going to love the 170i. It is like a Honda Metro on Steroids. I have owned a Metro before, great scooters. I've always thought of my Buddy 125 as high powered version of the Metro; nimble, 10" tires and a blast to zip around on.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Buying at Motoxotica?
Driller

Post by Driller »

Welcome aboard! You will soon be having a fun time.
Your opinion of the PCX echos my experience. Great scoot, but the "grin factor" is higher with the Buddy. :P
"My name is Mike. I suffer from multiple bike disorder."
deekortiz3

Post by deekortiz3 »

DeeDee wrote:Welcome to the club. You are going to love the 170i. It is like a Honda Metro on Steroids. I have owned a Metro before, great scooters. I've always thought of my Buddy 125 as high powered version of the Metro; nimble, 10" tires and a blast to zip around on.
That is exactly what I have been looking for. A GY6 powered Ruckus or Metro may have also fit the bill as well but at that point your basically changing the whole Scooter.
GregsBuddy wrote:Buying at Motoxotica?
Ended up going through Scooter City in Sacramento.
Driller wrote:Welcome aboard! You will soon be having a fun time.
Your opinion of the PCX echos my experience. Great scoot, but the "grin factor" is higher with the Buddy.
Yeah, I pretty much just ride for the fun of it whenever I have a chance. So the "grin factor" is probably the most important thing to me.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

The nimbleness is what drew me to these scooters too. Soon after buying my slightly used Metropolitan I realized I couldn't get outside of my neighborhood without getting run over so I shopped for more speed. Closest thing in size was the Buddy. Wheelbase is nearly the same; 46.5" vs 47.64" (or 48" depending where you get the info) tires are a little bigger & it's a little heavier but it's still very nimble. I'm 6'1" & 260 it doesn't feel cramped. Got 92 mpg on the last fill up & it's not broken in yet, though I'm not riding it hard yet. Anyway, you're going to enjoy these scoots.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Welcome to MB.

Don't forget to post the mandatory photos and first ride report! Buddys have always been known to be very flickable. Some people like it some don't...I love it.

Just a word of warning...don't test ride a Blur!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Congrats! the 170i is pretty nice.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Scooter City guys are pretty A-Okay from what I can tell.
pugbuddy

Post by pugbuddy »

Congrats and welcome!
Robert Wayne Henderson (May 16, 1932 - July 28, 2009).
deekortiz3

Post by deekortiz3 »

I'm quite late on giving an update. Thus far things have been going great! We've gone on a few rides and it has been a blast. The ride is just as I was hoping it would be. With the lowered seat I feel like the height of the scooter is absolutely perfect as well.

I also went ahead and installed thatvwguy's dead-light harness on mine...

Comparison shot with and without harness...

Idaho Scoot

Post by Idaho Scoot »

NICE! The Dead Light comparison pic is great. Great to see the pictures of your new scooters. I really like the colors you picked out.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I'm in Fairfield with a silver 170i just like yours.
Wanna ride next weekend?