Buddy Scooter 150cc Deal or no deal?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

kenniepark

Buddy Scooter 150cc Deal or no deal?

Post by kenniepark »

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the scooter world and need your help! The owner agreed to sell me the Genuine 150cc for $1500. Is this a good deal?

Link: http://boston.craigslist.org/nwb/mcy/5006245272.html

I asked about why he's selling it, how he ran it in, if he has maintenance records and so forth but am I missing something else?

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Wingscribe

Post by Wingscribe »

Welcome Kennie!

I was in your place two months ago, a 2009 Buddy 150. I checked it out and cut a deal with some help from the nice folks here.

Another note, what is "very low" for the mileage?

When you see it, check the tires for tread, rot and hte body for scratched or rust.

Price looks great to me (I had to haggle a little bit to get to a similar figure, but I am far from the best at that).

I'm sure others will chime in with more advice, and you should listen to them far more than you listen to me...

Have fun!

Mike
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Wingscribe wrote:When you see it, check the tires for tread, rot and the body for scratches or rust.
After 6 years and only about 1,000 miles, those are probably the original tires. I would plan on changing them out if you purchase the bike. Tires only last so long regardless of wear. The body panels are plastic so they don't rust, but can be damaged, of course. Fortunately, panels for the Buddy are inexpensive. In Boston (or other places where the streets are salted), it is smart to check the metal frame and other metal parts for rust. I'd say the price is reasonable so long as condition looks good, bike starts and runs fine, and maintenance history looks like regular servicing has been done.
kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

Thank you for your help. I will make sure to check for rusting! Low miles = 1122
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Outwardly it looks like it's in great shape, yes at that age if those are original tires I'd have someone in the know look at them.
I bought my '08 in the spring of '09 (for $2000 with 65 miles on it) the factory front tire lasted over 16,000 miles but it was severely cupping. I also let my scoot sit for over a year and a half without using it and it took quite a bit last spring to get it back to being road worthy I'd have it checked out, fluids changed &etc.
Other than that, the Buddy 150 is a great scoot, fun as heck to ride. The first season I had mine I put over 8000 miles on it April to October, then the summer of '12 I used it commute 50 miles a day.
I keep mine garaged, as that one too looks by the picture, rust may not be an issue, but the mirrors are facing the wrong way... :wha:
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Looks clean enough, buy it, ride it have fun. Expect to buy new tires soon. Those didn't last too long.

Welcome to MB...Didja buy it yet? Huh? Huh? :D
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
scullyfu

Post by scullyfu »

viney266 wrote:Looks clean enough, buy it, ride it have fun. Expect to buy new tires soon. Those didn't last too long.

Welcome to MB...Didja buy it yet? Huh? Huh? :D
i actually had 10k+ on my original whitewalls...'07 buddy 125. :)
WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!! Starbuck, BSG
kenniepark

Post by kenniepark »

Viney - I ended up purchasing a 2008 Buddy 150cc with 400 miles on it. $1200 mint. :D
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Sweet! Good deal, glad to hear it.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

kenniepark wrote:Viney - I ended up purchasing a 2008 Buddy 150cc with 400 miles on it. $1200 mint. :D

That is fantastic. Which international color?
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Nice score!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL