Takeout food fit in top case?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

wheelbender6

Takeout food fit in top case?

Post by wheelbender6 »

Will a couple of boxes of takeout food fit in a 35L top case?
I'm not talking about a pizza box. Just a couple of takeout
boxes from a restaurant.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Are you asking permission? Try it. If it doesn't fit, tie the bag tight and it rides between your feet.

Edit-Top cases take away from the beauty of a scoot. I have under seat storage and a backpack. I've slung a bag of bread or two on my handlebars.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I haven't bought a top case yet. I have saddle bags.
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

wheelbender6 wrote:I haven't bought a top case yet. I have saddle bags.
I carry a lot w/out the top case. Tasty Chinese is no problem.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Buy 17 2-liter bottles of soda (or pop, cola, coke, or soft drink, whatever you call it). Put them all together and compare with your take-out boxes. You have your answer! :wink:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
KrispyKreme

Post by KrispyKreme »

Syd wrote:Buy 17 2-liter bottles of soda (or pop, cola, coke, or soft drink, whatever you call it). Put them all together and compare with your take-out boxes. You have your answer! :wink:
If I am ever as west as Arizona I am looking you up. That knock on your door at 3 AM.....that's me.. 8)
Greyscoot

Post by Greyscoot »

Some people don't like the look of a top case. I prefer practicality and have one on both my scoots. The extra locking storage they provide outweighs any appearance issues in my opinion. I have 35L cases and you can get quite a bit in them.
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

I'd presume you can fit a goodly amount in there, however I'd be more conscerned about it sliding about in the case and spilling.
I've put my take out dinners with good results in my pet carrier nestled in place in the extra jacket I keep in there, plus it was kept warm by the engine below.
I've an open basket on my Buddy, used to have a standard milk crate, judicious and gentle use of a bungie-net will keep things in place.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Just make sure to keep it level. This is how we get lunch at the scooter shop almost every day!
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

GIVI and SHAD trunks remove rather easily from their mounting plates, so if you want to go bob tail (no trunk) for a sporty ride/look it can be done quickly with no tools. I have had take-out containers spill in the trunk, and under the seat before, but that was because I was riding like a idiot and got my just deserve. My scooters are for go, not show. But I do agree trunks can be kinda ugly on some scooters and bikes, but I will always have one on my rides.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

Topcases do take away from the lines of bikes. I just find so much utility in mine daily it's hard to not use it on each of them. also, no car, so unless we want to go to the store 3x a week, we just fill them both up.

Takeout will fit their easily, but it tends to bounce around, so it can be a mess. It's usually a bit better to put the plastic bag into a re-usable bag and loop that over the hook that's designed for this purpose. Then it will sway with you instead of bouncing into oblivion.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I love the challenge of carrying as much as possible on my 'scoot.
The front rack holds lengths of pipe/rod/tube/etc. up to at least four feet.
The hook on the floor holds a large shopping bag, easily.
Under the seat is a regular cavern for take-away that needs to stay warm, because, it's warm in there!
Back to the floor; I can carry at least two large pizza's at an angle and have had no complaints about "offset" pizza, yet!
The top case is icing on the cake.
I have never filled all the volume at once.
Would like to take a multi-day trip up Hwy. 1 from SF to (?) this summer to try a heavy load on the road. With the 170i's power, I think it would go well.
Hatmarat

Re: Takeout food fit in top case?

Post by Hatmarat »

wheelbender6 wrote:Will a couple of boxes of takeout food fit in a 35L top case?
I'm not talking about a pizza box. Just a couple of takeout
boxes from a restaurant.
http://www.wordsiseek.com/
Is it really enough?
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Each of my scooters has a topcase. They are the ultimate in convenience for securely bringing stuff along. Whether two carryout boxes fit in one depends on the size of the topcase and the size of the carryout boxes. I have certainly put carryout boxes in my topcase.
mike932

Post by mike932 »

Milk crate is best. Holds much more than a top case. And you can secure a pizza box on top of a milk crate perfectly.
PhillyKick

Post by PhillyKick »

mike932 wrote:Milk crate is best. Holds much more than a top case. And you can secure a pizza box on top of a milk crate perfectly.
Yup. We have a slightly-larger-than-standard milk crate on our Kick, and while it looks a bit tacky, it fits our entire weekly grocery run, or a pizza on top. Could easily stack 4 styrofoam takeout clamshells in there
(Also taking this opportunity to humble-brag that Genuine featured my scoot, complete with crate, on their facebook :P)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I take the top of the bag (be it take out or regular groceries) and put the hand holds from the bag and lock them between the lid. Yeah, the flap a bit in the wind but this method keeps the bag(s) from moving around. I also carry take out boxes (and anything else that fits) stacked on the floor boards.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

Wow. I'm surprised that this post is still getting some responses. I wound up buying a motorcycle "tail Bag" for carrying takeout food.
It can also carry a six pack or a few bottles of vino.
The milk crate can definitely carry more than my tail bag, but I like being able to close it up with the zipper.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I say it depends on road conditions.

I've burned through 3 rear racks, and my wife's just croaked. I'm pretty much done with topcases. Both of them have stripped the threads in the back due to the lovely potholes we have in Denver. I honestly don't know if we can get hers back in there or if we'll both have to suffer with a busted, exposed tail.

Get a front rack and put your takeout there in a nice insulated cooler bag!
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The back of the tail bag must be unhooked for refueling. I have to make sure I gas up before picking up takeout food.
FromHereToThere

Post by FromHereToThere »

wheelbender6 wrote:The back of the tail bag must be unhooked for refueling. I have to make sure I gas up before picking up takeout food.

Nah they got it
PGO makes great scooters. That is all.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

skully93 wrote:I say it depends on road conditions.

I've burned through 3 rear racks, and my wife's just croaked. I'm pretty much done with topcases. Both of them have stripped the threads in the back due to the lovely potholes we have in Denver. I honestly don't know if we can get hers back in there or if we'll both have to suffer with a busted, exposed tail.

Get a front rack and put your takeout there in a nice insulated cooler bag!
The tail mounts are fixable. I'm the nut doing the work in this thread. :wink:

You will need a Dremel or similar cut-off tool, some form of welder (I used a oxy-acetylene setup), a bench vice, a couple of non-galvanized washers and some M8 flanged nuts. Just cut the very top of the old cap off, the remnants make a solid foundation to weld the washer to. When welding, keep a bolt installed in the nut to help prevent distortion.

I welded the washers to the posts with the nuts poking down into the tube. If you go that route, a little clean up with a Dremel and a grinding bit will help ensure a snug fit. Clean the work frequently, between welding steps and prior to painting. The end result served Howard until he sold Iron Buddy, and as far as I know, they were still holding up.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

For the two front internally threaded ones I found a no weld, easier option. I used expansion bolts in place of the original welded in nuts that broke loose and fell out. I believe I went over what ones to buy in a older post. So far they have held up great. If the rear single bolt gets damaged, that easy to replace. That is the only weakness on the Buddy, the flimsy rear rack design. The 3rd version on the rear rack (with the u shaped center mount) seems slightly stronger, but I found a easy way to reinforce the 2nd version with the flat center mount. Welding is the best option, I just didnt want to remove the gas tank, hence the expansion bolt option.