Thinking about a Genuine

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Blackhawkfan

Thinking about a Genuine

Post by Blackhawkfan »

hi, I'm new to this group, but am thinking of buying either a Hooligan or Blur, but have some questions. First, what brand tires come standard with them? Also, I like to change my own oil and do some of my own maintenance; how easy are these scoots to work on? Are the guts of the machine easily accessible or do you have to dismantle half of it to get at anything? Also, what size sockets and Allen wrenches should I have to work on the scooter (I buy a lot of tools at flea markets and would like to get on looking in case I don't have the proper sizes on hand). Thanks
skully93

Post by skully93 »

If you look in the Technical Library section, you'll find a ton of info on toolkits, etc. They are fairly easy to work on (this is coming from someone who is NOT mechanically inclined yet).

Also take a look at Mitch's Scooter Stuff and Paul Sollenberger on Youtube. They both have a ton of great tutorials.

Not sure what tires come on the newer hooligans or blurs.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Both are fairly rare birds here in the US. The Blur because it has never been a very good seller, and the Hooligan because it is new. They are quite different bikes. How do you intend to use yours?
tiii

Post by tiii »

Between the two, the Hooligan takes less effort to get to the serviceable parts of the engine. Neither are that difficult, actually.
170Irene

Thinking about a Buddy

Post by 170Irene »

I was considering a Blur for the thirteen inch wheels with the 220ccs. A dealer told me yesterday that Genuine was not producing any more - not sure this is accurate. However, giving up my Buddy 170 would be just too much of a sacrifice. After having three other scooters and four motorcycles, I have found my keeper. So the Blur if I should purchase one would be for that rare in between long long ride!
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

Dooglas wrote:Both are fairly rare birds here in the US. The Blur because it has never been a very good seller, and the Hooligan because it is new. They are quite different bikes. How do you intend to use yours?
I agree with Dooglas - how you intend to you use the bike is the primary consideration. I own a Hooligan and find it to be a great multipurpose bike. If I were to be traveling regularly at lower highway speeds the Blur with a bigger engine might be the answer.

My dealer has already sold six Hooligans and it looks like a winner for Genuine.

BTW I have also heard from my dealer that the Blur will be discontinued.
skipper20

Re: Thinking about a Genuine

Post by skipper20 »

Blackhawkfan wrote:hi, I'm new to this group, but am thinking of buying either a Hooligan or Blur, but have some questions. First, what brand tires come standard with them? Also, I like to change my own oil and do some of my own maintenance; how easy are these scoots to work on? Are the guts of the machine easily accessible or do you have to dismantle half of it to get at anything? Also, what size sockets and Allen wrenches should I have to work on the scooter (I buy a lot of tools at flea markets and would like to get on looking in case I don't have the proper sizes on hand). Thanks
If you're under 5' 11" in height, the Blur is going to be an uncomfortable ride. I'd go with the Hooligan. But, if you're set on buying a Blur, take it on a long test ride to make sure you're OK with how it fits you. I sold mine a year ago as I just could not get used to its tallness.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia
'09 125 Buddy (possible trade-in on a ?)
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

I wanted a Hooligan, I'm a fan of the sporty look over the classic look, and I don't like the teeney tiny tires on the Buddy. Like someone said, they're new, so I never saw a used one around here, and I'm hoping they come out with one that's not a flat color.
I found a reasonably priced Buddy 170i, so I bought it since it's the same engine, I think, as the Hooligan. That and it's so darned cute.
I'd still buy a Hooligan, but I can wait to find a good used one in a few years. Blur scares me because there's not many of them and if they do dis-continue it, parts could be expensive/hard to find.
Clydeo

Hooligan

Post by Clydeo »

I like the Buddy better. Of course, I prefer a Miata to an Explorer, as well. Different strokes for different folks. Choices are good!
170Irene

Thinking about a Genuine

Post by 170Irene »

The information from this forum is solid and very much appreciated. Deciding which Genuine scooter to purchase could get to be overwhelming without knowing what is most important. I purchased the 170 because I like the style combined with additional power. I did not consider the Hooligan because of both style and lack of color choice. Although the 12" wheels are a good selling point - doing 55mph on 10" wheels is not always a comfortable ride on some of NH's secondary roads.

So, my point is that I had to let some things go in order to fulfill my priorities or hit the lottery and buy more than one scooter at a time. In the past I owned a Honda 150cc and two Kymcos a 110cc and a 250cc. They were fine scooters but I am much happier now with my Buddy and its 10" wheels!
170Irene

Thinking about a Genuine

Post by 170Irene »

The information from this forum is solid and very much appreciated. Deciding which Genuine scooter to purchase could get to be overwhelming without knowing what is most important. I purchased the 170 because I like the style combined with additional power. I did not consider the Hooligan because of both style and lack of color choice. Although the 12" wheels are a good selling point - doing 55mph on 10" wheels is not always a comfortable ride on some of NH's secondary roads.

So, my point is that I had to let some things go in order to fulfill my priorities or hit the lottery and buy more than one scooter at a time. In the past I owned a Honda 150cc and two Kymcos a 110cc and a 250cc. They were fine scooters but I am much happier now with my Buddy and its 10" wheels!
Blackhawkfan

Thinking about a Genuine

Post by Blackhawkfan »

Hi, and thanks for all the responses. I'm going to be using the scooter for casual riding, no freeways or parkways. Right now I have the Kymco Super 8 150, which I love, suits the type of riding I do, but has a number of issues (like crappy tires and no other manufacturer makes the sizes the S8 needs).
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

If the Kymco Super 8 fits your style of riding, I'd say the Hooligan would be a good choice.
thumper650

Re: Hooligan

Post by thumper650 »

Clydeo wrote:I like the Buddy better. Of course, I prefer a Miata to an Explorer, as well. Different strokes for different folks. Choices are good!
Yeah I guess I'd take an the Explorer over a Miata, but I can appreciate both on their merits. The Buddy has that style that most scooters (and Ford Explorers) don't have.
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I've had the 220 Blur for several years now. I haven't tried test-riding a Hooligan, but if it had been around when I bought my Blur, I'm not sure which I'd have chosen! I'd guess the Hooligan might feel more standard, easier to find info to work on (and potential mods), than the Blur would.

I've definitely run into some frustrations with my Blur, but the fit seems fine for me, as I'm just a little over 5'8".
viney266

Post by viney266 »

I have ridden both. I really like the blur, but I am 6'3" so that takes the height issue away. Tough choice. I think I might say hooligan. This may seem odd, but it has the better headlight and I do a lot of night riding. I have a Piaa bulb in my Stella just for that reason.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I've put a couple (thousand) miles on my wife's super8, and honestly either would be a good choice. For me the hooligan would win out though. The seating was more comfortable and I like a few of the styling touches more. That being said, everyone is different. You gotta sit on both.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Genuine is discontinuing the Blur (it's not even in their catalog anymore), so if you're worried about availability and price of parts down the line then the Hooligan may be a better choice.

My boyfriend just bought the Hooligan and put over 100 miles on it in just a couple of days (I know that's nothing for some of you, but for a newbie I was quite proud of him!). He's LOVING it so far. He's commented to me about how well it rides and handles the sometimes treacherous roads of Atlanta. He has yet to let me take it out for a spin (even though I've been riding for 5 years...grrrr) so I don't have any personal insight (yet-I WILL ride that scooter before long, mark my words!!). He's 6'4" and says it's a very comfortable ride!
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

Yes the super 8 was a dissapointment, but I am saving for a hooligan as my next scooter. R