Recently installed windshield

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

DrScoot

Recently installed windshield

Post by DrScoot »

I recently installed the cuppini short windshield for my buddy 150 and damn I didnt think it would have such effects. First off I probably gained 5-10 mph, which is what I was hoping for after reading some reviews on here. As a 73" guy the screen comes up to the bottom of my neck/chin which is good I guess. The only negative is now I have a wonderful blast of turbulent air directed at my face that produces such wonderfully loud and annoying tones directly into my ears. Its not too bad with headphones but for those of you tall people looking to get one I'd suggest something a little taller(if there is such an option). Cheers!
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

One possible solution; Full face helmet with a chin curtain. I had the same experience on my motorcycle. 60+ mph it sounded like a roaring train. With earplugs. Painful at 80+. I eventually tried the optional chin curtain & it was WAY quieter. My Schuberth helmet came with a chin curtain too. I got the same windscreen but took it off because my mirrors were moving around. Will get around to putting it back on with blue thread lock sometime, maybe this weekend. Edit: Since there's 2-3 inches of height adjustment that might be worth tinkering with. Some motorcycle screens are vented at the bottom to reduce turbulance & raising the screen might work the same way. It reduces the low pressure area behind the screen that creates havoc with air flow.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Yes, you just made the important observation. The optimal wind screen height is not one that diverts the airstream into your face. The optimal height is one that just diverts the airstream over the top of your helmet but allows you to look over the top of the screen. For most riders that is a mid-height screen, or a tall screen cut down to the right position for the rider's height.
george54

Post by george54 »

Dooglas, I think the other problem with tall riders is also how close the screen is to your body and face on a scooter, much closer than on a motorcycle. On my BV350 the screen is right in front of my face. The screen would have to be to the top of my head for me to be in calm air.
If you were able to be farther back like on a M/C, I bet the air would pass higher, and give less problems.
sunshinen

Post by sunshinen »

george54 wrote:Dooglas, I think the other problem with tall riders is also how close the screen is to your body and face on a scooter, much closer than on a motorcycle. On my BV350 the screen is right in front of my face.
And here I thought this was a short-person problem.... caused by short arms not letting me scootch further back on the seat. :wink:
Scooter Commuter
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

george54 wrote:On my BV350 the screen is right in front of my face. The screen would have to be to the top of my head for me to be in calm air.
The stock BV350 screen hardly fits anybody correctly. I am 5'9" and it is well too short for me. Extending it with a Laminar Lip solved the problem for me. Lot's of discussion over on MV about fitting various wind screens to the BV350.
george54

Post by george54 »

Dooglas wrote:
george54 wrote:On my BV350 the screen is right in front of my face. The screen would have to be to the top of my head for me to be in calm air.
The stock BV350 screen hardly fits anybody correctly. I am 5'9" and it is well too short for me. Extending it with a Laminar Lip solved the problem for me. Lot's of discussion over on MV about fitting various wind screens to the BV350.
Thanks. I'll have a look at the info there.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I just thought of another possible solution. Maybe bending those L shaped mounting brackets back a little so the screen is leaned back a little more to lower the wind path to below the helmet. They're pretty thick so that might take a big C clamp & a 10 pound hammer. We're both 73" tall & have the same screen so I'll probably have the same turbulence problem when I put mine back on. I wear a half helmet on the scoot, full face on the bike. I had mine on for one short ride & removed it so I never got out of the neighborhood or over 35 mph. Was going to wait until winter to put it back on but now I'm thinking sooner if it helps top speed, maybe next weekend if I get time.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

Yeah I wear a full face helmet and the sound is quite impressively loud at higher speeds. I did consider raising the windshield as suggested above but I wasnt sure about the bottom half. I will move it up later this weekend and let you all know if it makes a difference. If not then I might consider altering the mounting brackets and/or maybe find an alternative solution at Lowes.
DrScoot

Post by DrScoot »

So I moved the windshield up to the top limit and drove it around for a bit. The sound is still there albeit not as harsh. Oh well. Did check my gas mileage andit appears that I have received another 10 mpg! Does anyone know if this is a fluke or a realistic result?
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I assume you probably use earplugs but if not, that should help a lot. My Honda Metro isn't fast enough to need them but they really cut the wind noise on the Buddy & motorcycle. I've tried several kinds & the quietest I've found are Hearos Xtreme Protection Series.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X