New 49cc Buddy vs. 49cc Roughouse

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

birdmove

New 49cc Buddy vs. 49cc Roughouse

Post by birdmove »

We live on the big island of Hawaii about 12 miles south of Hilo. I'm a 65 year old retired dude that has ridden motorcycles and scooters since I was 8. I am considering buying one, maybe two "mopeds". Here both of these scooters are classed as mopeds, so no yearly license tags, insurance is optional, and no MC license needed to ride one (this is a moot point, as I've been MC endorsed since I got my drivers license at 16).
I'll probably sell my old tired 200cc scooter. I would be able to ride a moped on almost 100% of my running around and errands, as we have quite generous shoulders on most roads and highways.
We have a Genuine dealer in Kona. Just wondering what the pros and cons of the Buddy vs. the Roughouse. I didn't realize the 49cc Buddy also runs a two a stroke engine till just now. I'm not afraid of two strokes, and have owned four motorcycles with two strokes.
I would assume both models run the same engines? Maybe some of you could write which model you chose and why. I hope it might be alright if I also post this in the Roughouse section. Thanks for any comments you might make here.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
Stanza

Post by Stanza »

They both use a Gy6 engine, but there are a few differences worth noting. The Buddy is a short case, vs the roughhouse which is a long case. Long case accommodates the larger rear wheel on the roughhouse, which may be a selling point for you depending on your roads.

The Roughhouse runs higher compression, and a richer fuel mix, which gives it a slight edge over the buddy in terms of power and top speed. Again, might be a factor for you depending on terrain. Other than that, they share most of the same drivetrain components, and are easy to work on if you have the skillset. Both run a catalytic converter, and Genuine is pretty strict in what oil you can use and still get warranty coverage, so make sure to check with your dealer about that.

All that being said, both are excellent little bikes. If you have the opportunity to do so, I'd see about test riding both to see which suits you best.
tenders

Post by tenders »

I don’t think the 50cc engines are GY6 variants, though the 150cc versions may be. Perhaps 3KJ/Jog/QMB/Minarelli is a better way of describing them?

http://www.scooterpartsexpress.com/stan ... -minarelli
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Both are great scooters. You can pick on style, seat height, ergonomics, accessories, pretty much anything and you will end up with a winner. I've owned 2 Buddy 125's (same size/body as the 50cc) and actually had a pink Buddy 50cc for awhile. The pink scooter renewed my love for the brand. Now if I were to buy another 50cc I would pick a Rough House. It fit a passenger a bit better, I liked the extra height in the seating department, the cut-outs on the floor boards so you can put your feet forward and the off road look. Im getting ready to buy another Buddy 125 to replace my dying Suzuk Burgman 200. You cant go wrong with either one quality wise.
skipper20

Re: New 49cc Buddy vs. 49cc Roughouse

Post by skipper20 »

birdmove wrote:We live on the big island of Hawaii about 12 miles south of Hilo. I'm a 65 year old retired dude that has ridden motorcycles and scooters since I was 8. I am considering buying one, maybe two "mopeds". Here both of these scooters are classed as mopeds, so no yearly license tags, insurance is optional, and no MC license needed to ride one (this is a moot point, as I've been MC endorsed since I got my drivers license at 16).
I'll probably sell my old tired 200cc scooter. I would be able to ride a moped on almost 100% of my running around and errands, as we have quite generous shoulders on most roads and highways.
We have a Genuine dealer in Kona. Just wondering what the pros and cons of the Buddy vs. the Roughouse. I didn't realize the 49cc Buddy also runs a two a stroke engine till just now. I'm not afraid of two strokes, and have owned four motorcycles with two strokes.
I would assume both models run the same engines? Maybe some of you could write which model you chose and why. I hope it might be alright if I also post this in the Roughouse section. Thanks for any comments you might make here.
As a long time MC guy, I think you'd be happier with the Roughhouse. It's style and the larger tire size are a better fit for the big Island IMHO. Again, IMHO, the Buddy 50 is a better fit for the college campus and/or urban big city lifestyle.

Bill in Seattle
Member Emeritus
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

Bill, I was born at Swedish Hospital in Seattle in 1953, and grew up in Burien. Graduated from Highline High School in '72. My parents moved from Burien to Normandy Park/Des Moines that year. They lived at 19812 4th Ave South, across 1st Ave from the old XL Super, and up the hill a bit. My wife and I moved to the big island in 2011.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

All the Buddy scooters are great. However, between the Buddy 50 and Roughhouse 50 (or now Rattler 50), I would go with the Roughhouse 50 due to the more aggressive style, better ergonomics (the feet cut-outs mentioned earlier), bigger 12" wheels, and the slightly better power. I would personally consider the Roughhouse 50 Sport. Bigger wheels than the Buddy 50 with 12" street wheels and a bit more upgrades for the extra $200.

I love my Buddy 125 for the better performance over the Buddy 50 that I used to have, but if Genuine ever offered a Roughhouse 125, I would buy one in a heartbeat.
birdmove

Post by birdmove »

Yeah. Too bad they dropped the Rattler!
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I have a place about 25 miles south of Hilo. I personally would want a Buddy 125 on the Big Island over a 50 unless you live in a retirement community.