Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

80,000 mile Buddy 125
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
scootERIK

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty uneventful 5k. Only had to change tires, oil, and rollers. Plus, I greased my side stand, it's nice and smooth now.

GregsBuddy

Buddy 170i Vespa GTS 250ie Piaggio BV350

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So good to see that the scoot' is still treating you so well.
Could you share the kind of riding that you are doing to gather your miles in such a short time frame? Do you ride to work ~50 miles a day on back roads? Do you go on many rides for pleasure? Are you collecting many highway miles? Is the scoot' on its third engine?
Thanks!

scootERIK

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregsBuddy wrote:
So good to see that the scoot' is still treating you so well.
Could you share the kind of riding that you are doing to gather your miles in such a short time frame? Do you ride to work ~50 miles a day on back roads? Do you go on many rides for pleasure? Are you collecting many highway miles? Is the scoot' on its third engine?
Thanks!

When it's warm out I use the scooter as my main form of transportation. I also just go out for rides for fun or to explore. I often will do 200+ mile trips on the weekend, I recently did a 350 mile trip. Where I live about the shortest good ride is 45 miles and a lot of the better rides are 90-150 miles. Plus a trip to the store is 20-30 miles.

July, August, and September are the best months for scooting in Wisconsin so I do my best to take advantage of every good day. If it's 70+ degrees on Saturday or Sunday I am going to be out riding. Fall has started so it is already starting to get cool here so I won't be putting on as many miles.

I try to stick to back roads, but many of the back roads are 55mph speed zones so I am running wide open a lot of the time. I will use highways too when I need to get somewhere quickly.

This is the 4th engine. The 1st on failed at 44k, the 2nd one started to rattle at ~60k, the 3rd engine was a loner from my other Buddy 125 that go me to 73k(this motor was still reinstalled in my other Buddy, it is still running.) The current motor(no. 4) got me to 80k and it seems to be a good strong motor.
GregsBuddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With no "external" or "errors" problems by you (sorry, we all make errors like letting oil get low or not adjusting valves, etc. in maintenance, I don't mean to be at all negative) would the first engine have gone longer? Or was it spent?
Your experience is in alignment with mine. I ride quite a bit at 45-60 MPH, indicated. With regular oil changes the scoot' is at 14,500 and shows very little signs of wear, not even oil usage.
Thanks!!

iwannascoot

Buddy 170i

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you get the replacement engines and about how much do you pay for them?

Billy

2009 buddy 125, 2003 myBUBU 125, 2008 Stella

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwannascoot wrote:
Where do you get the replacement engines and about how much do you pay for them?

Billy

I’ve bought several for next to nothing. Usually I buy a non running bike due to a carb clog or something. Keep the engine and part the rest out making all my money back. Just got a 170 a couple weeks ago.

scootERIK

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregsBuddy wrote:
With no "external" or "errors" problems by you (sorry, we all make errors like letting oil get low or not adjusting valves, etc. in maintenance, I don't mean to be at all negative) would the first engine have gone longer? Or was it spent?
Your experience is in alignment with mine. I ride quite a bit at 45-60 MPH, indicated. With regular oil changes the scoot' is at 14,500 and shows very little signs of wear, not even oil usage.
Thanks!!

There might have been a few things that made it wear out faster, but from all the reading I have done it seems like the piston rings fail between 40-50k. If I would have replaced the piston and rings between 35-40k* there is a chance the engine would have ran for a lot longer. I have most of the parts to rebuild the first motor so it may live again.

*By 40k I was burning a lot of oil and it would get dirty really fast.
350kmi

'12 Buddy 170, '07 Buddy 125, '03 Vino 2T, '10 Elite 110, '83 Aero 80, '19 C125

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just about to turn over 35,000 miles on my 2012 170i and based on scootERIK's experience I have been curious to see it holds up. Our riding usage seems pretty similar, mine is daily 40-50 miles most rural 40-60 MPH roads when its above 30F (usually mid-march through late-October) with the occasional 100-200 mile county weekend ride. My annual ride out to the Mississippi through the Wisconsin Driftless Area is about 300 miles round trip.

So far I have not had to add oil between 1500 mile changes, but since about 30,000 miles I have noticed the level has started to drop form full to near add the dipstick over the 1500 miles. Its not enough that I'm worried but I will continue to watch it.
GregsBuddy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. That's what I would expect from a good quality, air-cooled four stroke engine. It appears that keeping good quality oil, changed at ~1,500 mile intervals is the key. In other words, follow the Genuine (PGO) Service Manual.
With a new piston, rings and wrist pin at ~45K, the engine could go another 35-40K.

fried okra

Scarabeo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to start another oil discussion here, but:

What viscosity oil are you guys using?

And are you using dino oil or synthetic?

fried okra
GregsBuddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10-40 RedLine or Motul Synthetic.
scootERIK

Buddy 125

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fried okra wrote:
Not to start another oil discussion here, but:

What viscosity oil are you guys using?

And are you using dino oil or synthetic?

fried okra

15w-40 dino oil, Shell Rotella T4. I have used it since the beginning, it seems like good oil and it is pretty cheap.
350kmi

'12 Buddy 170, '07 Buddy 125, '03 Vino 2T, '10 Elite 110, '83 Aero 80, '19 C125

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Shell Rotella dino oil during the break miles and for the first oil change after break in. Since about 2000 miles I have been running Mobile 1 synthetic, 10w-40 in the cold months and 20w-50 during the main summer months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: