Scooter Magazines

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Corsair

Scooter Magazines

Post by Corsair »

What scooter magazines do you read?
Keys

Post by Keys »

Scoot! Magazine and Scooter World.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Corsair

Post by Corsair »

I got a subscription to Scoot! Magazine. (for some reason they don't arrive to my home until way after the shops get them) I wish I could find Scooter mags in our local book stores.
Ken

Post by Ken »

WOW!! You mean that there are even MAGAZINES dedicated to scootering?!?

(Just kidding!)

I have one issue of Scoot! that a friend gave me, but in general I find that I don't have that much un-spoken-for time to read magazines - ANY magazines - with regularity. If I'm lucky, I get to flip through my wife's copy of "Rangefinder" each month.

~Ken
The road through Life is long and rough. Bring plenty of beer.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Corsair wrote:I got a subscription to Scoot! Magazine. (for some reason they don't arrive to my home until way after the shops get them) I wish I could find Scooter mags in our local book stores.
Scoot! is available at some Barnes & Nobles (I often get mine there), Borders, and I've even found it in record stores (this was a long time ago). They have some issues with staying on their print and distribution schedule. I've also heard that they have issues fulfilling their subscriptions. So if you don't get yours, definitely call or email them and ask what's up.

The most reliable place for me to get mags is dealers. I just discovered that Vespa Sherman Oaks sells recent back issues of Scoot! for half cover price. I can usually wait 2 months to get mine.

Scooterworld is only distributed via dealers and subscription, I think.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

scoot is 25 bucks a year 6 in all and scooter world i really would call it a mag more like a new letter compaird to scoot. but it is only 10 dollers a year for 6
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

If all the other magazines are too on-time and frequent for you (ha) may I recommend American Scooterist? It's the magazine of the Vespa Club of America and 4 issues are included in a $25 membership.

I do the layout so I'm biased, but despite our chronic behind-scheduleness (like Scoot!, we're a tiny staff and unlike Scoot, we have nearly no advertising income), I think it's a great magazine, especially if you're interested in vintage scootering. We're very proud of our writing, design, and print quality. And the membership gets you four issues, not "a year's worth" so you'll get four great magazines... sooner or later. : )

It's mostly vintage and/or Vespa content, but not *all.* Just thought a few people here might dig it.
http://www.vespaclubusa.org/
http://www.vespaclubusa.org/backissues.htm
(that last link is a couple issues behind)

I like all the other magazines, too, Scoot! especially.

Also, The Oregon Scooter Club's "Kickstart!" is a great 'zine, even if you're not in the area.

http://kickstartmagazine.blogspot.com/

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I get Scooter World and Scoot Qurterly. And yes, I always find Scoot Quarterly in the news stands well before I get mine in the mail. I have received 3 issues so far and have had to call and leave messages that are never answered, and email them hoping to not be forgotten. I don't think I will renew it next year and just buy it in the news stand.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

TAG (Twist and Go) (www.twistngo.com) magazine. Scoot doesn't cover the type of scooters I like (sports scooters) and generally doesn't have very many scooter nor scooter related product reviews or tech articles. I also like scooter racing of which TAG covers.

TAG is an English magazine, but they do have a US distributor. I'll post their information if anyone's interested.
aruntoo

Post by aruntoo »

Scoot is probably the only worthwhile scoot magazine available here in the US.

BTW: My ruckus was featured in the latest issue :)
justscooten

Post by justscooten »

ok how do i get TAG here in the states?... im glad someone said something about the slow mailing of scoot i guess ill keep getting it at my local book store.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

justscooten wrote:ok how do i get TAG here in the states?... im glad someone said something about the slow mailing of scoot i guess ill keep getting it at my local book store.
I've seen it in large bookstores, though not often.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

justscooten wrote:ok how do i get TAG here in the states?... im glad someone said something about the slow mailing of scoot i guess ill keep getting it at my local book store.
Here's the US information:

$30 per year (6 issues)

Motorsport
31757 Honey Locust Rd
Jonesburg, MO 63351-9600
Tel: 636-488-3113
Fax: 636-488-3196

This is a hard magazine to find. I used to get it from my local scooter shop (SF Scooter Center), but they no longer carry it - so now I'm subcribing. It's worth it if for nothing else but the ads - many of the English shops sell performance parts that are not available here (especially for the Blur, a.k.a. PGO G-Max) and may ship to the US.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Well, yesterday I asked Scoot Mag to refund me of the remaining amount of my subscription. I couldn't take any more, after I saw the mag for sale at our local grocery store. I can't believe a grocery store gets better service than a cash paying dedicated scooter reader subscriber. I'll let you know how it goes. I told them I expect my refund to be in my mail box in 2 weeks. It sucks to have such a limited magazine field to buy from.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Dibber wrote:Well, yesterday I asked Scoot Mag to refund me of the remaining amount of my subscription. I couldn't take any more, after I saw the mag for sale at our local grocery store. I can't believe a grocery store gets better service than a cash paying dedicated scooter reader subscriber. I'll let you know how it goes. I told them I expect my refund to be in my mail box in 2 weeks. It sucks to have such a limited magazine field to buy from.
On the other hand, your local grocery store carries Scoot! Awesome!
Buddy_wannabe

Post by Buddy_wannabe »

I get Scoot! .... local Wal-Mart carries it
I wasn't born... so much as I fell out . : The Clash
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

Thought I would let you all know, after 1 week from the time I asked for my subscription money back, I received my magazine. It seems I have to result to cancellations for every mag I get to get actully get it delivered. Hope they still give me the rest of my money back and stop my subscription.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

For a rather lengthy discussion of the Scoot! mag issue (no pun intended):
http://www.modernvespa.com/forum/topic18971.html

I have sympathy for their publishing problems, but no sympathy for poor customer service.
Johnny

Post by Johnny »

Scootering (from the U.K.) is pretty decent - folks take their scooters far more seriously in Europe than us Yankees.
Scooter World is pretty light on content and heavy on ads for cheap, plastic scooters.
Although not scooter related, I also like Classic Bikes (again, from the U.K.) for the amazing features on vintage motorcycles.
<b>2006 Buddy 125
1974 Honda CB350F
1972 Honda CB350 Twin
1968 Honda S90
1965 Lambretta Li150

1975 Ford Bronco</b>
The Ninja

Post by The Ninja »

I am up at my folks place for the holiday and went to Borders looking for something to read. To my surprise they had Scoot! so I grabbed a copy. With all the talk of delivery issues I think I will just get it at the newsstands.