2015 Roughhouse vs. big guy

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

FreeDivr

2015 Roughhouse vs. big guy

Post by FreeDivr »

Hello to all!

Brand new to the forum and a soon to be scooter owner. I rode Harleys for years and miss cruising around. Gave up the big vtwin when we had kids. Now the wife and I want to get some scooters and enjoy a new experience.

I checked out a 2015 roughhouse this weekend at a local shop here in the east bay and I really liked how the roughhouse felt for a scooter.

The big question is this.... I am 6'1" and 255 lbs., will this scooter move me around or am I gonna break it in the first week lol! The price was nice and I am not planning on racing anybody but will I be happy with a 50cc scooter as a big guy? I'm not really interested in the bigger scooters, thoughts?

Matt
DeeDee

Re: 2015 Roughhouse vs. big guy

Post by DeeDee »

will I be happy with a 50cc scooter as a big guy?
No for two major reasons, You are in a hilly part of the country and you are stout. I'm about 200 lbs. I had RH50 I bought to flip. It was de-restricted bone stock. It was great on the long flats and downhill. Any type of climbing, and it was pretty painfull. My slightly modified Yamaha C3 4 stroke ran circles around the RH when it came to hill climbing. I did not own it long enough to try and improve the acceleration. I'm in Colorado, and do a lot of foothill riding. The RH stock was under powered to take on even moderate hills. I assume you have a motorcycle endorsement. Go for a Buddy 125, or a Zuma 125 if you are after the dual sport style of the Roughnouse.
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

An update to my location is in order, I had Bay Area as general location but more specifically I am in Vacaville, closer to Sacramento, there are outlying hills but vast majority of the area I would ride in is flat.
roughrider2015

Post by roughrider2015 »

I have a c3 and a 2015 rh derestricted...I weigh 235 and am 6'1" and the rh leaves the 2009 c3 for dead...on level...climing a hill and down hill forget it...the rh is 4-5 mph faster. handling isn't a contest as the titanium rh has larger wheel and takes bumps in the road much better then the c3.
elektrobank

Post by elektrobank »

I'm 6-4, 220lbs. The RH is more than enough power for me, it takes off really fast and I never feel like I'm pushing it too hard or it's lagging on me. I live in an area with no hills though. The body is slightly on the small size though, and the seat is really uncomfortable, you'll definitely need to increase the padding with a seat cover. I'm very happy with mine, but I may opt for a 125 with a bigger body for my next ride. Mainly for the comfort though, otherwise the RH will be more than enough for you.
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

elektrobank wrote:I'm 6-4, 220lbs. The RH is more than enough power for me, it takes off really fast and I never feel like I'm pushing it too hard or it's lagging on me. I live in an area with no hills though. The body is slightly on the small size though, and the seat is really uncomfortable, you'll definitely need to increase the padding with a seat cover. I'm very happy with mine, but I may opt for a 125 with a bigger body for my next ride. Mainly for the comfort though, otherwise the RH will be more than enough for you.
That's great to hear, the more I look into all the different scooters the more I like the RH. I know I'm not gonna be racing anybody, don't care to, it's strictly for cruising around town and the back roads just enjoying a ride with my wife, she is dead set on the buddy 125. I'm sure she will enjoy being faster than me but I'm cool with it :) I appreciate the responses from you folks.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Just one more chiming in. 6'3" and 260. Its been fine, they are tough as nails. Run a good quality oil and watch tires pressure.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

viney266 wrote:Just one more chiming in. 6'3" and 260. Its been fine, they are tough as nails. Run a good quality oil and watch tires pressure.
Super encouraging to hear!!! I'm really excited and thank you for the responses. I value all the opinions good and bad and really happy to hear that some riders my size are enjoying this cool scooter!
Boar

Post by Boar »

Another RH50 owner here. I've had my 2014 for about a month (bought it used from Scooterworks).

I am 5'9" and 180lbs, which isn't a problem for the scooter to handle, however my girlfriend sometimes rides with me. I'd guess shes probably around 150, and the two of us have no problem cruising around Chicago. Well, as long as traffic stays around 30 and under, that last few mph seems to take awhile. (it's derestricted btw). The riding position and leg room is fantastic along with handlebar height. I have no doubt somebody of your height would feel comfortable.

Long-story-short, you won't be disappointed!
Porkslice

Post by Porkslice »

So I got a 2015 roughhouse bought it new now has 630 miles I ride 10 miles a day and I'm 300 lbs. this thing acts like I'm 120 lbs has no issues at all.
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

Porkslice wrote:So I got a 2015 roughhouse bought it new now has 630 miles I ride 10 miles a day and I'm 300 lbs. this thing acts like I'm 120 lbs has no issues at all.
I'm assuming it's unrestricted? I am ready to pull the trigger on a RH for me and a Buddy 125 for her. A friend trying to get me to consider the hooligan but I love the look of the RH. Thanks again to all who have replied, great group here!
Porkslice

Post by Porkslice »

Yes unrestricted and now has Prima exhaust all keeps the warranty valid. As long as it's done by a dealer. unrestricing them believe it or not makes them run smoother and cooler. It doesn't starve the motor of fuel and also the exhaust isn't restricted. Either way you go, you'll have fun. I also posted a video of the exhaust in another thread.
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

Ok the ball has started rolling and can't be stopped :)

My matte green RH is at the shop waiting, my wife's buddy 125 anniversary is being shipped from Chicago Thursday....proud scooter owners by next weekend.

Thanks to all who commented, please be kind with all my questions that I'm sure are to follow :)
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

Ok the ball has started rolling and can't be stopped :)

My matte green RH is at the shop waiting, my wife's buddy 125 anniversary is being shipped from Chicago Thursday....proud scooter owners by next weekend.

Thanks to all who commented, please be kind with all my questions that I'm sure are to follow :)
FreeDivr

Post by FreeDivr »

Picked up our scooters yesterday and rode all day, had a blast. The RH has been moving me around no problem. Going to do a full review at about the 300 mile mark but everything is two thumbs up after day one! :lol:
Stitch

Post by Stitch »

I'm 270lbs and I've held my roughhouse wide open for entire tanks of fuel at a time. Indestructible little beast.
"Stella" is Latin for "use threadlocker on all fasteners"