Blur 220i take off rpm

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

redtank

Blur 220i take off rpm

Post by redtank »

Hello,
Just bought an 2011 Blur 220i with 900 miles. When I took it out for a test ride, I could not believe then engine reved to 4k to +5k rpm before the clutch locked up (around 10 mph?). Dealer said this is normal, they all do that, he's sold just under 10 Blurs over the years. Years ago, I had a Honda CH250 scooter (very similar to a Honda Reflex) and clutch engagement was done down low on the rpm band.
Is this engagement speed normal. Also, is the clutch mounted on the crankshaft or like my old Honda, on a intermediate shaft by the rear hub?

Thanks,
Cris
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

its on the rear hub cant say for sure about the rpms i have an 07 so its a 150cc but that sounds about right. plus i wouldn't put much stock in the tach it off just like the speedo is
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

The Blur is considered a "performance" scooter so the factory set it up with high rpm clutch springs. If the take-off rpms is really high, then the previous owner may have changed the clutch springs to 2K springs.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
redtank

Take off rpm

Post by redtank »

Thanks for the replies! Okay, I'd like the clutch to engage at a lower rpm. Where can I get a set of springs to accomplish this? I'm guessing there are a few choices for engagement rpm?

Cris
babblefish

Re: Take off rpm

Post by babblefish »

redtank wrote:Thanks for the replies! Okay, I'd like the clutch to engage at a lower rpm. Where can I get a set of springs to accomplish this? I'm guessing there are a few choices for engagement rpm?

Cris
There are 3 different spring rates available: 1000, 1500, and 2000 rpm engagement. These numbers are not precise and your actual engagement point will vary depending on several factors. There is also a color code that determines the spring rates: blue = 1000 rpm, yellow = 1500 rpm, and red = 2000 rpm. Be careful, not all manufacturers follow this code, but most do.
These springs are available from a lot of internet sources. I get mine from eBay vendors. Just search "gy6 clutch spring".

You should put more mileage on your Blur before you make any changes though. Your Blur doesn't have enough mileage on it to be fully broken-in yet so the clutch shoes may not be fully seated yet which could cause more slippage before full lockup. In all honesty, your stated lockup point isn't all that high and is pretty normal when starting from a full stop.
redtank

gy6

Post by redtank »

I didn't realize the 220i used the gy6 torque converter and clutch. There are lots of "high performance" chinese parts on eBay, not sure of the quality though. A $31.95 high performance clutch does not inspire confidence.

I watched my tachometer when taking off from dead stop today, 5,200 rpm was clutch lock up speed, I read somewhere that is normal for a stock Blur 150.

Cris
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Pretty much, I wouldn't worry about it.