Yamaha SMAX - Fact or Fiction?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Yamaha SMAX - Fact or Fiction?

Post by skipper20 »

After my initial thread on this scoot comparing it to a Genuine Hooligan 170i, I saw claims of upwards of 70-75 mph top speed for the SMAX. I'm having trouble with this claim. C'mon, it's engine size is 155cc and it weighs 328 lbs. How could it possibly go that fast? Did Yamaha fudge with the speedo to register these numbers? I definitely like the looks of the SMAX and by sitting back on the seat just a few inches, it fits my 5' 11" 175 frame perfectly.My local dealer's price OTD price is $4,850 and I'm thinking seriously of taking the plunge but 75 mph? Please tell me how this is possible.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
'14 170i Hooligan
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

I'm guessing they won't let you test ride it?

This guy gets 72mph from gps (80 speedo):

https://youtu.be/fitqoI03TQw?t=2m19s

And this guy's speedo reads a fair bit higher than previous guy:

https://youtu.be/yUF8KlIDd_8?t=2m34s (87mph speedo)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I don't know what the actual mph was when I rode my friend's SMAX. But the speedometer was at 75 and still accelerating when I backed off. I also know she couldn't even come close to keeping up with me WOT on a 170i.

The SMAX walked away from the 170i as if it was standing still.

If I had to guess, I would say you could do 75 mph GPS verified.

I don't know what kind of voodoo Yamaha is using, but it works.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

k1dude wrote:I don't know what kind of voodoo Yamaha is using, but it works.
It isn't really voodoo. Where does that power and speed come from in a Sym HD200 (171cc), or a Vespa GT200 (198cc)? Small liquid cooled engines are capable of more performance and greater power output than most conventional air-cooled engines.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Dooglas wrote:
It isn't really voodoo. Where does that power and speed come from in a Sym HD200 (171cc), or a Vespa GT200 (198cc)? Small liquid cooled engines are capable of more performance and greater power output than most conventional air-cooled engines.
Add the Kymco Yager GT200i to that list as well. I get 77mph out of a 175cc liquid-cooled 2V motor. There are Yager owners claiming to get 85mph with a final-drive regear.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
ericalm
Site Admin

Re: Yamaha SMAX - Fact or Fiction?

Post by ericalm »

skipper20 wrote:After my initial thread on this scoot comparing it to a Genuine Hooligan 170i, I saw claims of upwards of 70-75 mph top speed for the SMAX. I'm having trouble with this claim. C'mon, it's engine size is 155cc and it weighs 328 lbs. How could it possibly go that fast? Did Yamaha fudge with the speedo to register these numbers? I definitely like the looks of the SMAX and by sitting back on the seat just a few inches, it fits my 5' 11" 175 frame perfectly.My local dealer's price OTD price is $4,850 and I'm thinking seriously of taking the plunge but 75 mph? Please tell me how this is possible.
I can't say whether it's true or not, but it's certainly not unrealistic.

How it's possible: Newer, more efficient, injected and liquid-cooled 14hp engine; transmission and gearing; 13" tires. They've gotten better at packing more power into smaller engines. It's happening at other companies, too.

Even CycleWorld hit 75mph indicated riding two-up on a scoot that likely wasn't broken in yet: http://www.cycleworld.com/2014/12/08/20 ... fications/
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Over the weekend at the Unrally we got a consistent GPS speed of 74mph out of the Smax. This is only at 800mi so it may top out even higher with a few more miles on the clock.
still shifting

Post by still shifting »

I wonder if they will sell well? R
skully93

Post by skully93 »

still shifting wrote:I wonder if they will sell well? R
Maybe. The price for what you get, new, is kind of high.

I've hit that weird price point where I've bought a scooter new, and a motorcycle new. Anything else I get will have to be used, because for 3500, I can get a lot of bike (or even a pretty decent, if high miles, car)
JohnKiniston

Post by JohnKiniston »

Dooglas wrote:
I set a new personal speed record for my GT over the weekend thanks to a very long stretch of downgrade roads on the interstate.

I had it wound out to 86MPH and it was trying to do 87 but the rev limiter kept cutting spark when it tried to go faster.

Voodoo is right, The engine in my GT now is faster than the last one it had with the same pipe, jetting and air filter.
Whimscootie

Yammie love

Post by Whimscootie »

There's an awesome thread about this awesome scoot running over on ADVrider.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

^^^ Link please.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

RoaringTodd wrote:^^^ Link please.

It's under the Battlescooters forum. Can't paste a link right now. Sorry.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com