Confused about exhaust gaskets

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Xsolusx

Confused about exhaust gaskets

Post by Xsolusx »

I have a Blackjack.

I just took off my cracked Prima exhaust. There was no gasket, just sealant.

I just ordered an NCY exhaust from monsterscooter however it doesn't look like the gasket comes with it.

So do I need the stock round gasket or one of the gaskets shaped like the exhaust flange? or both? I have seen prioes from 99 cents to $10 for the same thing so now Im confused haha.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

If your engine is anything like my Blur's engine, then the gasket surface on your head should be flat with no recess for a gasket. The exhaust flange should have a recess built into it for a 30.5mm OD ring seal, such as this one found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-GY6-Exhaust-M ... rA&vxp=mtr

You can probably use a "flange" type gasket, but I've never tried it myself so you're on your own there.

Instead of the correct gasket, some lazy people have used a bead of silicone gasket sealant as a (poor) substitute, but this in not a good idea because the exhaust gases are much hotter than the silicone can handle and will burn off leaving you with an exhaust leak.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

I did an ncy pipe on a vino 125 and it came with a stock style gasket ring. My prima came with a flange style and it is reusable. I keep both laying around just in case.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

I've used both types with my Prima exhaust and currently have a spare of each sitting in my tool cabinet. The pipe has to come off when doing a tire change and I prefer to go with a new gasket (they're cheap!) rather than re-using the old.

Both seem to work OK.
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

Thanks for the replies! So it seems either will work?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

My Buddy 125 came with no gasket or sealant. I was surprised to find that out at 6,000 miles when I changed my rear tire. I didn't have a gasket at the time, so I bolted it back on as-is.

I ordered an NCY performance exhaust and it didn't have a gasket. But, by that time I had some spare gaskets on hand. I used one that looks like the flange. It doesn't sound right to me after installation though. It sounds like there's a leak, but I can't find one. I chalked it up to the new sound of the performance pipe.
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Xsolusx wrote:Thanks for the replies! So it seems either will work?
That would be my experience, at least. The best advice I can give you is as you are tightening down the nuts, to do each nut a little at a time. If you first cinch down one nut while leaving the other nut loose the gasket will not be evenly compressed and may leak.
Xsolusx

Post by Xsolusx »

HowHH wrote:
Xsolusx wrote:Thanks for the replies! So it seems either will work?
That would be my experience, at least. The best advice I can give you is as you are tightening down the nuts, to do each nut a little at a time. If you first cinch down one nut while leaving the other nut loose the gasket will not be evenly compressed and may leak.
Sounds good. I just ordered 5 just in case haha.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just for good measure, I like to put a little bit of anti-seize grease on the threads of the exhaust manifold studs before installing the nuts. Will help prevent corrosion from freezing the nuts onto the studs in the future.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.