12volt booster pack

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

issue31

12volt booster pack

Post by issue31 »

Has anyone used a 12 volt power bank to jump start a genuine buddy 170? If so witch one do I use? Can I use it through the charging port for a Bt Jr.? Do I have to put in a bigger fuse to use it? Any advice wood be appreciated thanks.
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

I have't used this on a Buddy 170i, but have on other scooters and it worked great. Some of the reviews mention motorcycles, too.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NT9IN12
Brightech SPIDER - Car Jump Starter and Battery Charger

Also works well for the car. :)

Shouldn't need a bigger fuse. Doesn't comes with a BT pig nose connector, though you might be able to make one. (I've had mixed luck doing this myself with other items. For whatever reason, some accessories don't like to run off that connector.) Works just using the alligator clamps. I haven't looked for other accessories that might plug in to the battery port meant for car charging.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Re: 12volt booster pack

Post by Dooglas »

issue31 wrote:Has anyone used a 12 volt power bank to jump start a genuine buddy 170? If so which one do I use? Can I use it through the charging port for a Bt Jr.? Do I have to put in a bigger fuse to use it? Any advice wood be appreciated thanks.
As Eric says, a 12 volt booster will start a scooter or motorcycle. You can not, however, connect it through the Buddy 12V outlet. That circuit is only fused at 1 A and the wire gauge is too light to increase that by very much. Connect directly to the battery terminals, as you would in jump starting a car.
issue31

Booster

Post by issue31 »

:D thank you ericalm and Dooglas for your a help with my questions! The Spider will be on its way shortly. The power of modern buddy,issue 31.
thatvwbusguy

Post by thatvwbusguy »

As Dooglas says, it is never safe to try to jump start any type of vehicle (scooter, car etc) through the 12V socket. The wiring to most power sockets is very thin and can't handle much power. If the fuse were to fail for any reason, melted wires would be the result.

The best practice would be to connect a jumper pack directly to the battery and let it sit for a couple minutes before trying to start. This will reduce the amount of current being pulled through the relatively small diameter cables of the jumper pack and will also be less abusive to the scooter battery.

I have considered adding an Anderson Power Pole to my wife's 170i to make connecting a battery charger or a jumper pack a quick and simple job. She could easily keep a jumper pack under the seat for emergencies. This modification could be useful for any scooter without a kick starter (which includes most fuel injected scooters). http://www.amazon.com/Install-SB50-Larg ... B005HQ4U80 . Install a matching connector on your charger or jumper pack to allow quick connections without the possibility of reversed polarity.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.

Jay Brown
Newmarket, NH

Scooter Accessories:
https://sites.google.com/site/vanagonhe ... oter-stuff