Genuine G400C

Our very own Thumper!
ericalm
Site Admin

Genuine G400C

Post by ericalm »

Well.

http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine ... -for-2016/

Genuine's making a motorcycle. 400cc. $4600. Standard bike styling. Exactly what I've been saying the world needs. (Seriously.)

Tons of info and pics at the link.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (116.88 KiB) Viewed 411812 times
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

For reviews, check out the Mash Five Hundred. It's the same bike

http://www.bikesmedia.com/mash-five-hun ... cheap.html
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

YAAAAAAAASSSSSS.

This is the bike I would get if I ever went to a shifty. It's very simply perfect.
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

ravenlore wrote:YAAAAAAAASSSSSS.

This is the bike I would get if I ever went to a shifty. It's very simply perfect.
My thoughts exactly when I saw this. YUM.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Motorcycle? A motorcycle, not a Cruiser? I moss Phil today :cry:

:lol:
The majority is always sane - Nessus
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

Both articles talk about the engine being a Honda knock off, not exactly the same as a Honda. It's cool looking, I'll give it that. A little pricey though. Kinda reminds me of the Yamaha SR400, which I think I'd prefer. The SR is also way too expensive for what it is.
george54

Post by george54 »

Personally, I think the price is fair, check the competition.
It's just a suggested price after all.
Bikes get discounted and leftovers even more so.
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

I wonder if they could fit the motor into the Hooligan...
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Very nice! I really like the looks of this motorcycle. Read the article, but I think it's kinda a misnomer to say Genuine is "making" a motorcycle when in reality, they're importing one. Price is reasonable too, cheaper than a Vespa for sure. At that price point, it won't have any of the go-fast performance stuff, but that's ok by me. I wonder when Genuine will be offering the G400C to the public. I was looking at the SYM Wolf Classic 150 because I like the styling of that too, but find it too physically small and for a motorcycle, 150cc isn't enough for me.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Dibber

Post by Dibber »

I think Genuine hit a homer. Nothing better than a classic bike with modern parts. Looking forward to seeing one up close.
Bart "This is the worst day of my life!" Homer "No it's the worst day so far!"
www.twincitiesrider.com
Elder Scoot

Post by Elder Scoot »

it's a great looking modern thumper. In the day a 400 cc single was considered a real bike and suitable for almost all purposes. The Brits offered several 250s singles and BSA offered the Victor 441. The Japanese put out a number of single cylinder dual-purpose bikes and a number of serious road bikes. Their were also other European offerings from Spain and Italy. If I wanted a nimble shifty - this might be the one.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I will be getting one of these for myself this spring, cannot wait.

This is the answer I've been looking for!

Thanks Genuine!
The red ones are faster.
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

Cool looking bike. One of the most enjoyable bikes I ever had was a 400. 1981 Suzuki GN400. Single 2 valve air cooled. A blast on country roads because it was so light & nimble. My next motorcycle may be this or similar.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

This is the bike the U.S. market needs now, much more than a 280cc touring scooter.

To toot my own horn, this announcement comes one day after I was telling my sportbike riding coworker that the U.S. needs a 400-500cc standard bike at a good price. Not a Rebel 250. Not a small crotch rocket. Not a pricey SR400 our a cheap bike cobbled together fro the lowest rice Chinese components available.

There are currently plenty of entry points into the world of scooters at a variety of price points. Many are actually good or decent quality, unlike several years ago. Both the Japanese and Taiwanese OEMs have filled in the big holes in the displacement/price point spectrum.

This hasn't yet happened for US motorcycles. The big overseas OEMs are holding back on a lot of great bikes, particularly those that could appeal to new riders but don't cost as much as their high performance machines.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

thumper650 wrote:Both articles talk about the engine being a Honda knock off, not exactly the same as a Honda. It's cool looking, I'll give it that. A little pricey though. Kinda reminds me of the Yamaha SR400, which I think I'd prefer. The SR is also way too expensive for what it is.
Pricey compared to what? The $4600 price of the G400C puts it in the same group as the 250s from the Japanese brands. It is the SR400 that is pricey at $6000.
JerseyBiker

Post by JerseyBiker »

Want, want, want.

Beautiful. Exactly what I've wanted at a great price too!
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

Dooglas wrote:
thumper650 wrote:Both articles talk about the engine being a Honda knock off, not exactly the same as a Honda. It's cool looking, I'll give it that. A little pricey though. Kinda reminds me of the Yamaha SR400, which I think I'd prefer. The SR is also way too expensive for what it is.
Pricey compared to what? The $4600 price of the G400C puts it in the same group as the 250s from the Japanese brands. It is the SR400 that is pricey at $6000.
I may have missed it but they don't specifically say who makes it. If I was going decide between the SR and the 400C, I'd pay the extra for the SR to get a Yamaha.
Either way, 400cc is great for a small bike. I had a Honda CM400, it was a twin cylinder and was a great balance between power, and light weight.
lefthandedrighty

Post by lefthandedrighty »

wow! i think its a perfect bike and id ride it for sure

im excited to hear how it sounds with that one exhaust header per cylinder setup

im sure ill see some of these cruising around next year so it wont be long before i get my chance!
—————————————————————
2009 Buddy 125
1980 Yamaha XS1100 Rigid Bobber
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

Looks nice, but I think I'm liking the KTM Duke 390 more. Doesn't have the classic styling, sure, but for not too much more $$ (400) it gets a good bump in power, disc brakes both front and rear, and ABS.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

As a scooter owner who also has a SR500 and a SRX-6 in the garage. I was quite happy to see this. I look fwd. to seeing one in person.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

HowHH wrote:Looks nice, but I think I'm liking the KTM Duke 390 more. Doesn't have the classic styling, sure, but for not too much more $$ (400) it gets a good bump in power, disc brakes both front and rear, and ABS.
^This^

It's going to be much easier to mod due to the interest that aftermarket component makers have in the 390 Duke.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I'll take two, please. The wife likes it too.
-Less expensive than a Royal Enfield thumper. Less expensive than a Ninja 300. Less expensive than a Suzuki s-40. Way less expensive than a Suzuki DRZ-400. Less expensive than a Duke 390.
-The Japanese Rebel 250 lists for about 4 grand. I think $4,500 is a deal for a 400cc Taiwanese twin, unless you just have your heart set on a maxi scooter.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

wheelbender6 wrote:I'll take two, please. The wife likes it too.
-Less expensive than a Royal Enfield thumper. Less expensive than a Ninja 300. Less expensive than a Suzuki s-40. Way less expensive than a Suzuki DRZ-400. Less expensive than a Duke 390.
-The Japanese Rebel 250 lists for about 4 grand. I think $4,500 is a deal for a 400cc Taiwanese twin, unless you just have your heart set on a maxi scooter.
It's a single cylinder, dual exhaust port engine. Looks to be a copy of the Honda XR400 lump.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I'm giving my dealer a deposit check the next time I stop by the shop. I have been looking for a retro-styled motorcycle for a long time, and never really found one that "clicked". Due to the design, the specs, and the price, this is the winner.

I have to admit I paused a little bit when I found out the motorcycle is manufactured in China. However keep in mind China is where our iPhones and other advanced electronics come from. Japan in the 1950-1960's weren't known for manufacturing quality, however their motorcycles are now legendary. I'm willing to take the risk, especially at that price.

Look up MASH Motorcycles UK. Genuine, if you're listening... bring over the Scrambler version!
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

MASH website for those who are google imparied.

http://www.mashmotorcycles.co.uk/home
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

wheelbender6 wrote:I think $4,500 is a deal for a 400cc Taiwanese twin
RoaringTodd wrote:I have to admit I paused a little bit when I found out the motorcycle is manufactured in China.
I haven't seen a clear answer to this question. I admit I presumed that the bike was probably linked to PGO/Motive Power because of Genuine's long time partnership with them. I haven't seen anything that clearly answers the question of where, and by whom, the bike is produced. Anyone who finds solid information, please post a link.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Here you go.

"Of course, it isn’t the same engine Honda dealers were trying to sell us 30 years ago. For a start, it’s not made by Honda any more, but by Shineray in China, that builds the whole bike. "

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/mash-roadstar-400-review/
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I don't think it will have many Chinese parts. I'll be anxiously awaiting road tests and rider reviews!
viney266

Post by viney266 »

You can even get your opinion out there:

http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine ... r-hate-it/
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

RoaringTodd wrote:have to admit I paused a little bit when I found out the motorcycle is manufactured in China.
Crap. I'm very fond of the PGO Taiwan product, I think I've refocused my sights onto the Buddy Kick EFI (J Bubu) as an upgrade to the Buddy 125 I already love.
The red ones are faster.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

Nope :( Not interested. It's not a scooter. There are several other time tested entry level motorcycles out there. I'm not going to risk the $$ on something new when I can get a tested version somewhere else. I think Genuine would have been better served by developing a 250-350 class scooter. IDK but it seams Genuine is more interested in avoiding development costs and just using their network of dealers to sell a product developed by someone else.
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
Scotter

Post by Scotter »

ModernMike wrote:Nope :( Not interested. It's not a scooter. There are several other time tested entry level motorcycles out there. I'm not going to risk the $$ on something new when I can get a tested version somewhere else. I think Genuine would have been better served by developing a 250-350 class scooter.
I don't understand this. Wouldn't you be risking your "$$ on something new" if you were buying an untested Genuine developed "250-350 class scooter?"

I agree with Eric and others here in that the market for smaller displacement motorcycles is under served. The comparison chart provided by Genuine actually does a nice job of making that implication as well as placing themselves nicely within that market niche.

This on-line article from scooterfile on the Genuine G400C describes what a lot of us feel:
For many scooter riders, there comes a time when a small motorcycle starts to feel appealing. That certainly happened to me, and it’s a question we get often here at ScooterFile. Yet finding a motorcycle that appeals to a scooter rider is a bit of a tricky order to fill. They’re experienced riders, but in a different form factor that celebrates small, lightweight machines. If they’d wanted a big motorcycle, they would have bought one already. So any motorcycle that’s going to appeal to scooter owners will have to be just the right mix of capability and approachability.
http://www.scooterfile.com/oems/genuine ... -for-2016/
ModernMike wrote:IDK but it seams Genuine is more interested in avoiding development costs and just using their network of dealers to sell a product developed by someone else.
Do you understand what Genuine actually does?
VCOA #3068
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Scotter wrote:
ModernMike wrote:IDK but it seams Genuine is more interested in avoiding development costs and just using their network of dealers to sell a product developed by someone else.
You could argue this sort of thing is exactly what Genuine does - which, I presume, is your point. They try to identify segments of the market they think are underserved, and partner with oversees manufacturers to fill those niches. That brought us the Stella (designed and built by LML in India) as the shifty Vespa was disappearing from the US market. It brought us the Buddy (designed and built by PGO in Taiwan) when most other lightweight 125/150 scooters were either expensive or unreliable. Now they think there is an opportunity in this class of smaller (but not too small :wink: ) motorcycle. Assuming they go ahead, we'll see how good the Genuine crystal ball works this time. (the Blur proved it isn't always perfect)
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

It's indeed fully manufactured in China in a large plant alongside other models. That company has been in business for decades. That being said, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You know that BMW scooter? Made in China. This isn't a $600 twist-and-go we're talking about here.
teamhurst

Post by teamhurst »

Take my money now. I'm in
I scoot there for i am
blur 150
buddy pamplona 150
Stella
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

"It's a single cylinder, dual exhaust port engine."
Ah. Like the old XL500.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

Perhaps my opinion is a bit disjointed. Thank you for pointed that out.

Genuine's business model appears to be; Import other manufactures products, utilize their network of dealers under a common brand to fill a perceived void in the market place. Even if there is not a common style or theme across their product line. Hey. More power to them. It's not my business.

Let me restate my thoughts. I tend to be more brand loyal when I find a product or service I like. You may notice I ride a BMW motorcycle from my signature block. When I wanted to add a scooter back to my stable of two wheeled vehicles, I would have purchased BMW if they had a 200-300cc automatic option. Something small enough for my GFs first ride. They did not.

I like my Buddy 170i 😀, but I don't view Genuine as a "motorcycle" company.
I view them as a scooter company. If genuine wants me to spend more $$ on products they import, they would have to lure me with a 300cc or even a 600cc class automatic scooter. Something similar in style to my Buddy. Something in the middle of my two rides.

Because I don't view Genuine as a "motorcycle " company, if I wanted a 400cc to 600cc motorcycle I would likely go back to BMW for their 600cc class motorcycles. The 600cc class BMW series has been around a long time. It looks consistent with their brand.

Hey. Ride what you want. It's not for me. That's all I really wanted to say.
2012 BMW R1200RT
Quo Vadimus

Post by Quo Vadimus »

ModernMike wrote:
Let me restate my thoughts. I tend to be more brand loyal when I find a product or service I like. You may notice I ride a BMW motorcycle from my signature block. When I wanted to add a scooter back to my stable of two wheeled vehicles, I would have purchased BMW if they had a 200-300cc automatic option. Something small enough for my GFs first ride. They did not.

I view them as a scooter company. If genuine wants me to spend more $$ on products they import, they would have to lure me with a 300cc or even a 600cc class automatic scooter. Something similar in style to my Buddy. Something in the middle of my two rides.
Haven't followed the whole thread, so I don't know what brought this post on... honestly curious: why do you think you would have immediately been willing to think of bmw as a "scooter company" but not genuine as a "motorcycle company?"
jrstone

Post by jrstone »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
ModernMike wrote:

Haven't followed the whole thread, so I don't know what brought this post on... honestly curious: why do you think you would have immediately been willing to think of bmw as a "scooter company" but not genuine as a "motorcycle company?"
My thoughts exactly. BMW's "scooter" is basically a Kymco anyway. You could have gotten a Downtown 300 and slapped a BMW badge on it. Or if you want something more similar to the style of the Buddy, and you're willing to plonk down BMW money, what's wrong with a Vespa GTS 300?
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

Quo Vadimus wrote:
ModernMike wrote:

Because, at the time, I had experience with BMW and I like the brand. I would have had confidence in BMW as a manufacturer to purchase a BMW scooter. I still like the performance and appearance of my BMW R1200RT. It's smoooooth, well balanced. The boxer motor pulls like crazy and runs like it will go forever. Even at 4,000 revs. Heated grip and seats, Bluetooth, satellite radio, power front screen. The list goes on. I also own an Audi. I find that German engineering fits my requirements.

What I find interesting is that an expression of opinion about a newly introduced product would draw such a strong response from other forum members.

Genuine G400C. I don't like it :( Sorry. I would not have a use for it. I might have an interest in a 300cc or 600cc class scooter. Maybe I should go back to my Vespa GTS 300. I loved that scooter :wink:
2012 BMW R1200RT
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

jrstone wrote:
Quo Vadimus wrote:
ModernMike wrote:

.........what's wrong with a Vespa GTS 300?
I had a Vespa 300 GTS. Great scooter. Too much for my GF, so a Buddy 170 was in order. Even at that I've had to lower the seat and shock on her scoot.

Other forum members have been asking for a 300cc class scooter from Genuine. Do a search. I'm just adding my name to the list.
2012 BMW R1200RT
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Ouch - you have an Audi and a BMW? My fleet of bikes are worth less than what you must pay in maintenance per year. :D
george54

Post by george54 »

Your liking your boxer motor has absolutely nothing to do with BMW's scooter reputation, or perceived scooter reliability.

So ... you like your Buddy but won't trust Genuine as a "motorcycle company", BUT, you like your BMW RT and you would have trusted them as a scooter option if they had the size you wanted.

And you can't see why we have such strong opinions that differ from yours?
Scotter

Post by Scotter »

Dooglas wrote:
Scotter wrote:
You could argue this sort of thing is exactly what Genuine does - which, I presume, is your point. They try to identify segments of the market they think are underserved, and partner with oversees manufacturers to fill those niches. That brought us the Stella (designed and built by LML in India) as the shifty Vespa was disappearing from the US market. It brought us the Buddy (designed and built by PGO in Taiwan) when most other lightweight 125/150 scooters were either expensive or unreliable. Now they think there is an opportunity in this class of smaller (but not too small :wink: ) motorcycle. Assuming they go ahead, we'll see how good the Genuine crystal ball works this time. (the Blur proved it isn't always perfect)
Ja, stimmt! Genuine is usually pretty good at this game but, as you pointed out, not always. I also think that it could be argued that BMW has taken a page or two from this corporate business playbook what with them buying up other brands like Mini, Husqvarna, etc.
ModernMike wrote: What I find interesting is that an expression of opinion about a newly introduced product would draw such a strong response from other forum members.
I fully support you expressing your opinion. If you don't like the Genuine G400C that's cool with me. I also fully support others here, including myself, expressing their opinions that the reasoning that you provide in support for your opinions just don't have much merit or make any real sense. And, considering the passions we all feel for two wheeled vehicles, it's nice to hear other people's perspective as a way of keeping our own in check. For instance, I love love love my Bajaj Chetak 4T but I fear that it's on it's last legs. And with part supplies dwindling I've found myself researching my next ride. I've bounced around from wanting a Sym Wolf Classic 150, an old BMW airhead, a new KTM Duke 390, a Yamaha SR400, the new Ducati Scrambler (and the new rumored Ducati Scrambler 400) and a new Moto Guzzi V7. I'm still leaning towards the Guzzi but I'm open to hearing what others think of the new G400C.
ModernMike wrote:
I had a Vespa 300 GTS. Great scooter. Too much for my GF, so a Buddy 170 was in order. Even at that I've had to lower the seat and shock on her scoot.
When my wife and I first got into scootering about 10 years ago we were living in Wisconsin. After taking the motorcycle safety course together I bought the Chetak. At 5' 2'' and around 100 lbs, she struggled with the seat height and wide floorboards much more than any of the motorcycles that she rode in class. I ended up buying her an LX150 from the local Vespa dealer but she still needed to have the seat lowered as well as the suspension. Incidentally, we had a great relationship with the Vespa dealer there who once loaned us a GTS 250ie just to take to lunch! I freakin' loved that thing but my wife didn't feel comfortable riding it on her own. Recently, when we stopped into our local dealer, Motorsport Scooters, my wife fell in love with the GTS 300 Super Sport and felt like she would now have no trouble riding it or getting it off and on the center stand. Viewpoints and opinions are bound to change with time, experience, and new perspectives.
ModernMike wrote:Other forum members have been asking for a 300cc class scooter from Genuine. Do a search. I'm just adding my name to the list.
I get it. You're disappointed that Genuine didn't announce the rumored "cruiser scooter" but be aware that a whole bunch of other folks (scooterists as well as motorcyclists) are really excited that Genuine did announce the G400C. I don't know if they've shelved the "cruiser scooter project" but you really have no idea if the rumored scooter would sit higher and feel even more intimidating to your GF than the GTS, right?
VCOA #3068
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ModernMike wrote:I had a Vespa 300 GTS. Great scooter. Too much for my GF, so a Buddy 170 was in order. Even at that I've had to lower the seat and shock on her scoot.
Other forum members have been asking for a 300cc class scooter from Genuine. Do a search. I'm just adding my name to the list.
I always view the discussions about the Genuine Unicorn Cruiser with a small smile. Sure, if Genuine, or anybody else, introduced a new 300cc retro scooter - I'd take a look. But the idea that I'd have my life on hold waiting for that to happen strikes me as a bit silly. Anyone who wants an excellent retro styled 250/300 scooter suitable for longer distance cruising just has to look at the various Vespa GT/GTS 200/250/300s that are all around them. A well refined design with quality construction and dealer support. Sure the new ABS/ASR model is a bit expensive but the used ones reach back over ten years so there is one for darned near every pocket. Anyone who really wants a good retro cruiser - stop searching and start riding.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

avescoots1134 wrote:Ouch - you have an Audi and a BMW? My fleet of bikes are worth less than what you must pay in maintenance per year. :D
Ha! Could be. I will consider myself fortunate 😀
2012 BMW R1200RT
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

george54 wrote:Your liking your boxer motor has absolutely nothing to do with BMW's scooter reputation, or perceived scooter reliability.

So ... you like your Buddy but won't trust Genuine as a "motorcycle company", BUT, you like your BMW RT and you would have trusted them as a scooter option if they had the size you wanted.

Hmmmm? I think it's fair to say the BMW has been around longer as a company. And, that they, BMW, have a great brand reputation.

I never said BMW had better perceived scooter reputation. I said I like the BMW Brand. And, have confidence in their company.

I respect your opinion 😀 I just don't share it.
Your also entitled to reject my argument.
Go buy a G400C. Doesn't bother me any. I'm not

IDK how else I can say it
2012 BMW R1200RT
walke2jd
In Time Out

Post by walke2jd »

george54 wrote:So ... you like your Buddy but won't trust Genuine as a "motorcycle company", BUT, you like your BMW RT and you would have trusted them as a scooter option if they had the size you wanted.

I'm a huge Genuine fanboy, but I don't think the logic is flawed. BMW has a bit more brand reputation in the states that would be at stake putting out a flawed scooter product. The inverse is not true for Genuine. Almost no one (on two wheels) I talk to knows of Genuine, and even fewer realize they are just an importer of PGO products.

And even then, this cruiser is not PGO. So this is a bit like taking a chance on a new brand.

All that to say, I am definitely interested in grabbing one in a few years after the cruiser has been proven! Seems like a heck of a deal for what you are getting!
george54

Post by george54 »

Brand name recognition I'd agree. But brand reliability reputation, no. BMW motorcycles as a brand has suffered quite a loss in their reliability reputation the past 10 years.

$2,000 final drive repairs and $4,000 clutch jobs plus water pumps and electrical switches, fuel senders, etc... have contributed to the belief that you are taking a risk to own one that's out of warranty, and that's it's a brand for the wealthy. And I'm not a BMW basher, All told, I've owned 10 of them.
Last edited by george54 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.