Forums
 FAQHelp  LinksLinks    SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

crankcase vent question

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  
Author Message
paracer
Member


Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 173

Buddy 10th anniversary 125

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:07 am    Post subject: crankcase vent question Reply with quote

So, I'm wondering if I am missing something simple here.

I currently have two atmospheric vents on my engine's crankcase. One is where the dipstick goes. The other is on the valve cover.

My question is why I experience such a difference in the air pressure at each vent. With a finger over the dipstick vent I can barely feel any pressure at all, if any.

However, the vent on the valve cover is very different. I feel a distinct, pulsing, positive pressure.

It seems weird to me that these vents don't have the same condition. I have never completely torn apart a gy6 engine, so I don't know if maybe there is a separation between these two parts of the engine that I'm not thinking about. Does anyone have any insights?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
babblefish
Member


Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 3074
Location: San Francisco
2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of the crankcase that your dipstick is in is separated from any crankcase pulses by the crankcase oil. In other words, it is not at atmospheric pressure, but it is under some pressure from the oil pump. Try removing the dipstick with the engine running and you'll see what I mean. Warning: have some paper towels handy...
_________________
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
scootERIK
Member


Joined: 12 Jul 2012
Posts: 432
Location: Lake Geneva, WI
Buddy 125

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

babblefish wrote:
The part of the crankcase that your dipstick is in is separated from any crankcase pulses by the crankcase oil. In other words, it is not at atmospheric pressure, but it is under some pressure from the oil pump. Try removing the dipstick with the engine running and you'll see what I mean. Warning: have some paper towels handy...


I forgot to put the dipstick back in after adding some oil and started my Buddy, oil ended up 5-6 feet up the garage door that was 4' from the scooter. It was a mess but I learned a lesson to always keep track of the dipstick when checking and adding oil.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
babblefish
Member


Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 3074
Location: San Francisco
2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scootERIK wrote:
babblefish wrote:
The part of the crankcase that your dipstick is in is separated from any crankcase pulses by the crankcase oil. In other words, it is not at atmospheric pressure, but it is under some pressure from the oil pump. Try removing the dipstick with the engine running and you'll see what I mean. Warning: have some paper towels handy...


I forgot to put the dipstick back in after adding some oil and started my Buddy, oil ended up 5-6 feet up the garage door that was 4' from the scooter. It was a mess but I learned a lesson to always keep track of the dipstick when checking and adding oil.


Laughing Laughing Laughing , sorry, I couldn'd help it...

_________________
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
paracer
Member


Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 173

Buddy 10th anniversary 125

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have a similar story. I drilled a small hole through the dipstick in an attempt to vent excess crankcase pressure. That little hole was like a nozzle. Embarassed

Okay, so I can understand now that I should not be worried about the difference in pressure between the two vents. Now, my other question would be, do I need two vents? If I have a atmospheric vent on the valve cover, do I need one on the dipstick?

Thanks for the replies!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
babblefish
Member


Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 3074
Location: San Francisco
2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paracer wrote:
I too have a similar story. I drilled a small hole through the dipstick in an attempt to vent excess crankcase pressure. That little hole was like a nozzle. Embarassed

Okay, so I can understand now that I should not be worried about the difference in pressure between the two vents. Now, my other question would be, do I need two vents? If I have a atmospheric vent on the valve cover, do I need one on the dipstick?

Thanks for the replies!


Why do you feel you need to vent the oil galley to atmosphere? The oil pressure to push the oil through the wire mesh filter will be lost, so probably not a good idea.

_________________
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
paracer
Member


Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 173

Buddy 10th anniversary 125

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because when I did that I did not know that the pressure in the crankcase assists with pushing oil through the strainer. Smile I should probably find a dipstick at this time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
babblefish
Member


Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 3074
Location: San Francisco
2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paracer wrote:
because when I did that I did not know that the pressure in the crankcase assists with pushing oil through the strainer. Smile I should probably find a dipstick at this time.


The oil pump pushes the oil through the strainer (and out the dipstick hole), not the pressure in the crankcase.

_________________
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
paracer
Member


Joined: 28 Dec 2015
Posts: 173

Buddy 10th anniversary 125

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

babblefish wrote:
paracer wrote:
because when I did that I did not know that the pressure in the crankcase assists with pushing oil through the strainer. Smile I should probably find a dipstick at this time.


The oil pump pushes the oil through the strainer (and out the dipstick hole), not the pressure in the crankcase.


Ok. So it is good to vent both the valve cover and the crankcase. Relieving the pressure through a dipstick vent would aid the system by reducing the resistance that the oil pump is pushing against.

That is what I get for trying to convey my thoughts before I have had my coffee.

Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Syd
Member


Joined: 18 Jul 2007
Posts: 4683
Location: Tempe
'09 GTS250

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was truly food to vent the case, don't you think PGO would have designed one in?
_________________
The majority is always sane - Nessus
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
babblefish
Member


Joined: 04 Dec 2007
Posts: 3074
Location: San Francisco
2006 Blur 180, 2008 Buddy St. Tropez

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venting the valve cover vents the crankcase because they are directly connected through the head and cylinder. From the factory, the crankcase gases are vented through a PCV and into the carb intake.
_________________
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forums » General Discussion Previous topic :: Next topic  Time: GMT

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum

  Scootergear designed by riders for riders


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
All Content Copyright 2007-2011 by Modern Buddy. All Rights Reserved.