In the Shop

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Scratch

In the Shop

Post by Scratch »

I was riding the new Blur a week ago and when I pulled into our subdivision, the motor just stopped. I had no electrical power at all. Zero power to the starter, no lights, no dash indicators. No nothing...

Fortunately, it was less than a 1/2 mile push to get it home and AF1 Racing responded quickly by sending someone to the house to troubleshoot the problem. When we took the battery cover off, the battery was extremely hot to the touch. We disconnected the battery and loaded it on the truck for a trip to the shop.

AF1 called yesterday to say they are still troubleshooting the problem. Seems a gremlin resides somewhere as the bike was sitting in a corner of the maintenance facility and without warning, tried to start itself, according to the shop chief. He has several calls in to Genuine to see if there are any tech bulletins relating to this problem and to get better wiring diagrams than what tAF1 has available.

Strange to say the least. Anyone else subject to electrical malfunctions on your Blur?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Please let us know what they find. Not very promising for a brand new scooter. My gauge cluster went haywire as soon as I left the dealer. I turned around and came back for a replacement. Luckily that has not recurred, but now I am having the engine light come on randomly when starting the scooter(4400 miles). If I turn it off and back on it goes out but the dealer has no idea why it is happening. No driveability issues at all.
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

I hope you get it sorted
Last edited by bBiz on Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

bBiz wrote:Yes, but not the same problem. My blur stalls at idle. It is totally random but it seems to happen at the worst possible times. It stalls at least 1-3 times every time I ride it.

My scoot mechanic has gone over it several times. He cant find anything wrong. He said it had to be something with the fuel injection so he bought the diagnostic tool but no luck, it didn't throw any codes.

A few months ago, I thought I was going to die when it stalled as I was about to merge onto the expressway. I stopped riding it after that day and bought a Vespa.

I don't even know what to do with my blur now. I want to get rid of it, but who will buy a scooter that won't idle and can't be fixed or even diagnosed?

I bought my blur brand new. I rode it for less than a year

I wish I could send it back to Genuine. I feel cheated. :(

I wish you good luck.
Mine has stalled a couple of times while sitting at a red light, but never in a situation like you mentioned. I would be hesitant to ride as well. Why don't you bug Genuine about it until it is fixed? Is it still under warranty? If so - leave at the dealer until they fix it since you have the Vespa to ride. One suggestion I would give is to have the ECU replaced with the updated one which allows for higher operating temps. My engine light would come on after I ran at high speeds until the ECU was swapped.
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

chickdr wrote:
bBiz wrote:Yes, but not the same problem. My blur stalls at idle. It is totally random but it seems to happen at the worst possible times. It stalls at least 1-3 times every time I ride it.

My scoot mechanic has gone over it several times. He cant find anything wrong. He said it had to be something with the fuel injection so he bought the diagnostic tool but no luck, it didn't throw any codes.

A few months ago, I thought I was going to die when it stalled as I was about to merge onto the expressway. I stopped riding it after that day and bought a Vespa.

I don't even know what to do with my blur now. I want to get rid of it, but who will buy a scooter that won't idle and can't be fixed or even diagnosed?

I bought my blur brand new. I rode it for less than a year

I wish I could send it back to Genuine. I feel cheated. :(

I wish you good luck.
Mine has stalled a couple of times while sitting at a red light, but never in a situation like you mentioned. I would be hesitant to ride as well. Why don't you bug Genuine about it until it is fixed? Is it still under warranty? If so - leave at the dealer until they fix it since you have the Vespa to ride. One suggestion I would give is to have the ECU replaced with the updated one which allows for higher operating temps. My engine light would come on after I ran at high speeds until the ECU was swapped.
My blur is model year 2013. I'm pretty sure they sorted the gauge cluster and overheating because I never experienced problems with either.

The scooter shop I go to is an authorized genuine service shop. They are constantly in contact with genuine and actually had my blur in their shop for several months this winter because of an unrelated no start problem. That's when genuine stopped being so helpful. They sort of just ignored the shops questions about my blur. When they persisted, genuine finally told them to buy the diagnostic tool. When they did, the blur threw a code for a bad fuel pump. They asked genuine to replace it under warranty but genuine said no because "the diagnostic tool isn't always reliable." Again my mechanic was persistent and they finally sent a new fuel pump under warranty. This should have been resolved in a week or 2. Instead it took 3 months of back and forth with genuine.

Replaceing the fuel pump solved the no start problem but not the stalling. No one knows what to do because everything appears to be fine and it doesn't throw any codes.

My mechanic told me that there is nothing he can do to even try to fix it. Genuine has to address the issue. But they won't.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I assume YOU have contacted Genuine yourself? It sure seems like they would not want a person talking about a safety issue on the forums which certainly won't help sales. You may just have a lemon.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

I purchased my Blur from AF1 Racing, a Genuine Scooter authorized dealer. The chief mechanic called again this evening to say that he has left several inquiries with Genuine; however, Genuine has not responded concerning my dilemma. I purchased the Blur and a Buddy 170i (my better half's) scooter under the impression Genuine is a stand-up company. I'm beginning to have my doubts...
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

chickdr wrote:I assume YOU have contacted Genuine yourself? It sure seems like they would not want a person talking about a safety issue on the forums which certainly won't help sales. You may just have a lemon.
I didn't come on here making big threads about my blur and all of its problems. Scratch made the thread asking if anyone else was experiencing electrical malfunctions. I am so I responded. I'm not trying to hurt Genuine's sales, I'm just sharing my experience.

I don't think I should have to contact genuine myself. My authorized genuine service shop is in contact with them. That should be more than enough.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

bBiz wrote:
chickdr wrote:I assume YOU have contacted Genuine yourself? It sure seems like they would not want a person talking about a safety issue on the forums which certainly won't help sales. You may just have a lemon.
I didn't come on here making big threads about my blur and all of its problems. Scratch made the thread asking if anyone else was experiencing electrical malfunctions. I am so I responded. I'm not trying to hurt Genuine's sales, I'm just sharing my experience.

I don't think I should have to contact genuine myself. My authorized genuine service shop is in contact with them. That should be more than enough.
I didn't say you were trying to hurt their sales, but Genuine should stand behind their products. If the dealer I used didn't get the job done I would be taking it up with them myself. You spent $4K on a product which has a 2yr warranty and they need to honor it... I am on YOUR side, not Genuine's.
Scratch

Post by Scratch »

Just off the phone with AF1 racing shop chief who informs me that Genuine contacted him today and will send a new dashboard as the most logical fix to my problem. Should have it back within a week or so.

When I mentioned the other idle/shut off issues mentioned here on the forum, he stated that he came across similar problems and in each case the problem was corrected with a new spark plug gapped to factory specs.

Here's hoping the dashboard corrects the issue... Thanks to everyone for your inputs and insight.

Scratch sends
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Scratch wrote:Just off the phone with AF1 racing shop chief who informs me that Genuine contacted him today and will send a new dashboard as the most logical fix to my problem. Should have it back within a week or so.

When I mentioned the other idle/shut off issues mentioned here on the forum, he stated that he came across similar problems and in each case the problem was corrected with a new spark plug gapped to factory specs.

Here's hoping the dashboard corrects the issue... Thanks to everyone for your inputs and insight.

Scratch sends
Be sure to let us know. I can't see the dashboard being the culprit of what you described(the engine dying). Here's hoping it fixes it though.
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

chickdr wrote:
I didn't say you were trying to hurt their sales, but Genuine should stand behind their products. If the dealer I used didn't get the job done I would be taking it up with them myself. You spent $4K on a product which has a 2yr warranty and they need to honor it... I am on YOUR side, not Genuine's.
Sorry, I misunderstood. Thank you for the advice. I won't contact genuine because I'm just going to sell it at this point. I wont sell it to anyone directly, but I will take it to a dealer and trade towards a motorcycle.

I really did love my Blur but it just didn't work out for me.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

bBiz wrote:
chickdr wrote:
Sorry, I misunderstood. Thank you for the advice. I won't contact genuine because I'm just going to sell it at this point. I wont sell it to anyone directly, but I will take it to a dealer and trade towards a motorcycle.

I really did love my Blur but it just didn't work out for me.
Sad situation. I suspect you are going to get killed trading the Blur in if you didn't steal it originally.
bBiz

Post by bBiz »

chickdr wrote: Sad situation. I suspect you are going to get killed trading the Blur in if you didn't steal it originally.
Probably, but I did manage to put 8000 miles on it, so the resale value would not have been too high anyway.
Bobertec

Similar problem???

Post by Bobertec »

I have posted this, but got no replies and thought it was similar:

I have a 2011 Blur 220i(1,350 mi) with electrical problems.

The 15 amp fuse keeps blowing. I'll ride it (at any given speed and duration) and the rmp indicator goes all the way up then down. Note the actual engine does not rev up, just the indicator). This sign tells me that the fuse has just blown. If I decrease the throttle...the scooter will die (no electrical power...as if there is no battery). I can still ride it as long as I gas the thing. Replacing the blown fuse solves the problem.

When under warranty, I had the mechanic (authorized dealer) try to fix the issue and he had some difficulties. He got it to run, but with out the usb recharging option running. I wanted it to work so he ended up replacing the wiring harness.
It was working about a year ago and then I stored it for another year.

I have replaced the battery and serviced it (engine & gear oil, and Air filter, new gas and fuel injection additive).
The engine's idle sounds good, consistent, and smooth.
The scooter is quick and responsive and I can achieve top speed.
When running It get 13-13 1/2 volts

It's the random blowing of the 15 amp fuse that's a pain.

Is there a mechanical diagram/specs (other than the owner's manual) for the scooter? I'd like to see the mapping of the fuses (maybe disconnecting the usb might help???).
Possible grounding?

Unfortunately I am past the warranty.
Are there any recalls that I may have missed?
Anyone else having the same issues?
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I wish I could be of some help with the 220i issues, but I have no experience with them. But, I wanted to remind everyone that Genuine does none of the engineering nor manufacturing for any of the scooters they sell. They are just an importer that slaps their name on products made by PGO, Taiwan. For technical issues such as what people here are experiencing, Genuine probably has to contact PGO directly then wait for a response. In addition to that, there may be a language barrier which may add some confusion to the correspondence. Not trying to defend Genuine here, just adding my point of view. Regardless, if Genuine offers a warranty on a product, then they are obligated to support it even if it means replacing the entire scooter or offering to buy it back if it can't be fixed in a reasonable amount of time. Some States have lemon laws that say just that.

With all that being said, it sounds like a lot of the issues are related to the EFI system. For the scooters that are out of warranty, I wonder if it would be possible to replace the entire EFI system with a good old fashioned carburetor and be done with it? Sure one would lose some efficiency and gas mileage, but at least you'd have a functioning scooter.

I just realized that most of this is an older post. Perhaps all of the EFI issues have been corrected and Bobertec's problem is unique to his scooter?
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

I have been posting in this thread for a while. I too have an '11 Blur ss220i. Mine runs well most of the time, but will at times(usually when it has been outside at work overnight) throw an engine light after starting it up in the morning. I have to turn the scooter off 1-2x typically to get it to shut off. It runs fine all the time and doesn't stall. I recently had an issue with the tach again (the needle settled above 0 when off and was too high when started it wasn't idling high, but the needle was obviously not reading correctly). To fix this I disconnected the battery which reset the tach. It has not occurred again. I have over 6K miles on my Blur.

IMHO the Blur is a bit buggy. Especially compared to my TGB Laser 150 which never had an issue in the 15k miles I drove it.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

chickdr wrote:I have been posting in this thread for a while. I too have an '11 Blur ss220i. Mine runs well most of the time, but will at times(usually when it has been outside at work overnight) throw an engine light after starting it up in the morning. I have to turn the scooter off 1-2x typically to get it to shut off. It runs fine all the time and doesn't stall. I recently had an issue with the tach again (the needle settled above 0 when off and was too high when started it wasn't idling high, but the needle was obviously not reading correctly). To fix this I disconnected the battery which reset the tach. It has not occurred again. I have over 6K miles on my Blur.

IMHO the Blur is a bit buggy. Especially compared to my TGB Laser 150 which never had an issue in the 15k miles I drove it.
Glad you figured out how to fix your Blur 220i problem. The TGB is naturally going to have less problems because it's a "standard" scooter meaning other than electronic ignition and regulator, it has no other electronics or programming to go wrong. Whereas the 220i Blur has an ECU with all of it's related sensors, wiring, and programming that can go wrong. So in that sense, you may be right saying the Blur is buggy. Perhaps PGO hasn't quite got it all figured out yet. With all of the different regulations and requirements of different countries in which the Blur/GMax is sold, perhaps there are still a bug or two in the ECU's programming.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

This goes without saying. I think this is why there was an updated ECU released to fix the engine light coming on at extended high speeds. To me the sad thing is the ECU in a scooter is so much simpler than a car ECU system. It shouldn't be that difficult to get it right. Genuine's support is also quite suspect. Very laggy to me(even if they have to go to PGO for an answer they should be more timely in responding).
Edwub

Post by Edwub »

I'm actually pretty irked with Genuine's 220 Blur. I loved mine, but I've had a string of bad luck. Since this thread involves electrical problems....

A few months ago, my voltage regulator went bad. I had it replaced. They gave me the old, broken one (for fun, I guess?). I'm pretty sure it was date stamped. Right above the sticker, there's a white stamp that says " 99. 5. 19" I'm kind of leaning towards assuming it was manufactured May 19th, 1999.

My Blur was manufactured in August 2011. If that was a date stamp, is it normal to use a 12 year old component?? That would have made it ~16 years old when it went bad on me.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Edwub wrote:I'm actually pretty irked with Genuine's 220 Blur. I loved mine, but I've had a string of bad luck. Since this thread involves electrical problems....

A few months ago, my voltage regulator went bad. I had it replaced. They gave me the old, broken one (for fun, I guess?). I'm pretty sure it was date stamped. Right above the sticker, there's a white stamp that says " 99. 5. 19" I'm kind of leaning towards assuming it was manufactured May 19th, 1999.

My Blur was manufactured in August 2011. If that was a date stamp, is it normal to use a 12 year old component?? That would have made it ~16 years old when it went bad on me.
I guess it could be But I wouldn't think that is normal. Can you see the date of the one they put in its place? How many miles are on your Blur? You said "a string of bad luck". What else besides the voltage regulator has gone wrong? What did the replacement of that part cost - if I might ask?
roblinx

Post by roblinx »

Hey, a current thread on my problem!

2013 Blur 200i owner here. I've had infrequent idle/stall problems. Not enough to bring it in, just periodically annoying. Especially on the highway during rush hour. Speaking of which...

My Blur died on the highway yesterday during rush hour. By "die", I mean it suddenly--at 60 MPH--lost all electrical power. It decelerated pretty rapidly, but I was able to get it to the breakdown lane before it stopped.

The dealer hasn't had time to look at it yet, but the symptom is that it's blowing the 15A fuse that protects the entire electrical system. I replaced it twice (thanks to the DOT guys who stopped to help).

I certainly hope it doesn't take 3 months to get it sorted out. I think by that time I'd be well past asking for a new scooter.

Rob

EDIT: The shop says it's a faulty voltage regulator. Will take a few days to get/install the part. We'll see how things go after that!
Bobertec

Post by Bobertec »

This is the same exact problem I'm having. Now it just cuts off. Could you do me a big favor and note the part number...i'll have to replace the volt regulator myself...Any tips/vids..anyone?
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Did your scooter issue resolve with the new regulator? Follow up posts will help so much when other members have the same issues.