Anyone using LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) On your Buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

buddyguy

Anyone using LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) On your Buddy?

Post by buddyguy »

I've been testing with these new LEDs for DRL and I'm really impressed at the look, quality and lighting these provide. I previously had used the lights as blinker, but I've been wanting to with them to DRLs for a long time. I finally found a bulb that I'm satisfied with. Here's a short video of the upgrade:

https://www.facebook.com/DimeloMotorWor ... 6/?theater[/url]
2009 Genuine Buddy St Tropez 150cc
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Dummy Lights Turned Blinkers
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
Prima Stainless Steel Exhaust
81bmph 78mph Dyno confirmed.
MYSCTR

Deadlights As Running Lights

Post by MYSCTR »

Absolutely! They look awesome and really light up the road in addition to the headlamp. Of course you will have to upgrade your headlamp to get a better whiter light too now.

...we have added a third 2014 170i and converted all three to LED lights in a different configuration with new relay's and harnesses from thatvwguy. Switching the factory 'dead lights' to white LED running lights (from superbrightleds) makes an awesome presence to night riding for both oncoming traffic and the rider.

topic27773.html

No electrical issues of any kind between all three 2014 170's!
buddyguy

Post by buddyguy »

Oh the headlight has HIDs on a toggle switch. It was just off for testing purposes. What you are seeing is my old DRL's. Thanks for the info though! :D
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
skipper20

Re: Anyone using LED DRL (Daytime Running Lights) On your Bu

Post by skipper20 »

buddyguy wrote:I've been testing with these new LEDs for DRL and I'm really impressed at the look, quality and lighting these provide. I previously had used the lights as blinker, but I've been wanting to with them to DRLs for a long time. I finally found a bulb that I'm satisfied with. Here's a short video of the upgrade:

I did the dead light conversion shortly after I bought my 170i Italia 3 years ago. The conversion kit was purchased from a MB forum member whose name I have since forgotten. At the time of conversion, I replaced the original amber bulbs with LED amber lights purchased from my local Auto Zone store for about $17.00 each as I recall. They've been OK but each of them has lost 2 - 3 of the tiny LEDs over the last 3 years. When I see that the loss rate increases to about 2/3rds of the original capacity, I'll replace the LEDS most likely with another pair purchased from Auto Zone.

Bill in Seattle
'12 170i Italia (AZ scoot)
'14 170i Hooligan
buddyguy

Post by buddyguy »

skipper20 wrote:
buddyguy wrote:I've been testing with these new LEDs for DRL and I'm really impressed at the look, quality and lighting these provide. I previously had used the lights as blinker, but I've been wanting to with them to DRLs for a long time. I finally found a bulb that I'm satisfied with. Here's a short video of the upgrade:

I did the dead light conversion shortly after I bought my 170i Italia 3 years ago. The conversion kit was purchased from a MB forum member whose name I have since forgotten. At the time of conversion, I replaced the original amber bulbs with LED amber lights purchased from my local Auto Zone store for about $17.00 each as I recall. They've been OK but each of them has lost 2 - 3 of the tiny LEDs over the last 3 years. When I see that the loss rate increases to about 2/3rds of the original capacity, I'll replace the LEDS most likely with another pair purchased from Auto Zone.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan

How many bulbs have you replaced through out the 3 years? That would drive me nuts specially since the bulbs I'm using are really high end.
Mods:
European Style Mirrors
Fatty Tire
NCY Racing Intake
30mm Racing Carburetor
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

buddyguy wrote:
skipper20 wrote:

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan

How many bulbs have you replaced through out the 3 years? That would drive me nuts specially since the bulbs I'm using are really high end.
None. I'm still on the set I bought 3 years ago. Each bulb has about 80% of the tiny LEDs still working. When that drops to 60% I'll replace the bulbs. But, at the current attrition rate, that won't be for another 2-3 years.

Bill in Seattle
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

My amber LEDs that came from Pep-Boys have been in for 6000 miles and shockingly ALL the LEDs are still lighting up, but I think a few (2-3) in the tail light have died. I REALLY like the white option that buddyguy used but Im cheap and lazy, but man they look nice!