Stripped scooter found in San Diego

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Invisibleanomaly

Stripped scooter found in San Diego

Post by Invisibleanomaly »

Driving home tonight I saw a stripped scooter on the ground down the street from my house. It looks like it may have been a Lance Havana and used to be red? It was spray painted black and had been completely stripped. The El Cajon police were called, and in the time that I stood there next to it calling the police someone tried to start it and steal it. If it's yours, I'm so sorry, but I hope that it helps your insurance claim for it to have been found.

Also, this really scares me because it drives the point home that the scooter bogeymen really are out there! This is firsthand shit! I immediately went to my backyard to check on my own scooter when I got home. There's no exaggeration when it comes to the need for good chains, and disc locks, and I've never been so glad for my screaming Xena. I'm so bummed out for whoever this belonged to.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (162.65 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (140.54 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.18 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (125.18 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Drum Pro

Post by Drum Pro »

Damn! that thing is thrashed. Is scooter theft a big problem in San Diego? I hope we're not having another London or Boston problem.....
Invisibleanomaly

I didn't think that it was a big problem, but given that it was stripped down 3 houses down from where I live (My husband saw it already sprayed, but parked 2 hours before I saw it naked and dropped) I'm all kinds of worried. I moved my scooter to the fence post under our bedroom window in the back yard, and finally started using the heavy chain that we bought in addition to the Xena alarm.
I'm also so upset for whoever this belonged to. I know that for me my scooter is a huge source of joy and it was a lot of work to learn to ride, research the right one, and get on the road. It was also my only transportation for months, and that could easily be the case for this person. People just really suck.
avescoots1134

Post by avescoots1134 »

Don't worry, that Chinese scooter wasn't worth anything beforehand! :wink:
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

Drum Pro wrote:Damn! that thing is thrashed. Is scooter theft a big problem in San Diego? I hope we're not having another London or Boston problem.....
What? Boston has as scooter theft problem? I thought it was pretty safe here.
lovemysan

Post by lovemysan »

It just looks like the average unloved chinese scooter to me. Yes it looks to have been stolen more than once. Judging from the rust on the fasteners it hasn't had the rear plastics for a long time. The rear plastics on those is very brittle and easy to crack.
161cc big bore kit, NCY big valve head Hand ported, NCY transmission kit, jetted and tuned. I can port your cylinder head.
Invisibleanomaly

Like I said, when my husband drove by it it was complete and he said it just looked like a spray painted scooter parked on the street. By the time I came home it was on its side in the street like this. I don't think it's a case of simply "unloved".
ericalm
Site Admin

Post by ericalm »

Good n you for calling the police and sticking around.
Eric // LA Scooter Meetup Group // Stella 4T // Vespa LX // Vespa LXS // Honda Helix // some, uh, projects…