We rode where?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Howardr

We rode where?

Post by Howardr »

A couple of friends and I rode to tiny 11 Mile Corner, AZ yesterday. We discovered strangely organized roads, an old post office, a German POW Camp and learned about gourds. Plus, we had a great 10 mile ride. Here is my blog post about it:

http://skyislandriders.com/?p=1926

I hope you enjoy it. We did.
Howard
Iron Butt Association Member Number 42256
Club - The Sky Island Riders.
Publisher: The Scooter 'Zine thescooterzine.com
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

It was good riding and a great day to be out. Lots of other genial two wheelers and trikes out enjoying the day as well.

I think we covered more than ten miles. :wink:

Either my odometer's a huge fibber, or I clocked 160 miles from home to Coolidge and back.

The pic with the Yager looked weird because I was working on unzipping the underarm vents on my Corazzo Speedway. I look like I belong in a Laurel and Hardy skit.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Okay, today it decided to let me open it. It was grumpy last night.

Pretty cool stuff. Those manholes, wow. keep an eye out for THOSE.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Very interesting ride!! :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

You can almost imagine how this got started.

"Honey, I want to build a neighborhood that's in the shape of a hendecagon on the back 40 up there at 11-mile Corner. What do you think?"

"Well, dear, as you know the 32.7272... recurring decimal angles of a hendecagon would be nearly impossible to plot back there, how about nested hexagons?"
The majority is always sane - Nessus
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

I did some land surveying in the 11 Mile area about a decade ago, as AZ DOT planned to widen the highway and enlarge some intersections. I wish I had known about the POW camp back then. I was locating (with an electronic locator) underground utilities (mostly water lines) that seemed to go nowhere, ending suddenly near no structures. Makes more sense, now.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

wheelbender6 wrote:I did some land surveying in the 11 Mile area about a decade ago, as AZ DOT planned to widen the highway and enlarge some intersections. I wish I had known about the POW camp back then. I was locating (with an electronic locator) underground utilities (mostly water lines) that seemed to go nowhere, ending suddenly near no structures. Makes more sense, now.
You missed out on the Corona satelie calibration targets around Casa Grande. Or The Domes!

We have all sorts or weird stuff out in Dirtlandistan. :wink:
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

"You missed out on the Corona satelie calibration targets around Casa Grande. Or The Domes! "
Good stuff. I didn't see those targets but I occasionally ran across an old Nike missile site. Cool cold war stuff.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI