First ride of the season...oops

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Clydeo

First ride of the season...oops

Post by Clydeo »

The snow and ice finally melted away for a few hours today, so I took the Buddy for a quick spin. 4 miles from home, the rear tire went flat. There weren't any holes in the tire, so I am guessing the tube blew. Guess I really should have checked the air pressure before going for a joy ride! First time I have had a tire go flat on a bike since 1979. Lesson re-learned! A Harley guy gave me and the bike a ride back home in his truck. Good people are everywhere. Thanks, Tony!
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Give the valve stem a wiggle after re-filling the tire and make sure its not leaking. Centrifugal force will cause a old/weak valve stem to leak while moving (hence wiggling when inflated) but hold air while stationary.Soapy water helps while looking. Does any modern scooter still use a tube? Even Stellas have tubeless rim conversions. Glad someone gave you a ride, goes to show we 2 wheel riders DO tend look out for each other!
Clydeo

Tube tires

Post by Clydeo »

Yep, tube tires. They are clearly marked Skinko Tube Type. I was kind of surprised as well: it's a 1 year old Buddy.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

Tube type just means they can run with a tube. The rim is tubless. The only bikes still with tubes are the split rim Stellas. There may be a small hole somewhere. Pump it up and look for the leak.

It would be VERY odd for a valve stem that new to tear, but that is possible,too. As Sc00ter said, after you air it up give the stem a wiggle.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
viney266

Post by viney266 »

It could have been a very low tire pressure and the tire came off the rim, but that would be low enough you should feel it when you left. The small 10" rims don't hold much air, so even being down a small amount is 5 psi. compared to a car.

I would bet for a small hole, nail, staple, somewhere. If the rim didn't unseat from the rim. Put 40 PSI in it and listen for your leak; if that doesn't do it soapy water in a spray bottle and look for bubbles.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

I had a staple in my back tire last year. Harder than hell to find the leak.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!