Weigh in on helmets!

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

adahl

Weigh in on helmets!

Post by adahl »

I just got a buddy 125 seafoam green and I wanna stay safe! Would like some input on helmets, what are you wearin' to protect your noggin?
Tocsik

Post by Tocsik »

I had a Fulmer full face for many years and just switched to the HJC IS17. It's a great helmet but not as quiet as I was hoping (wind noise). I also rock the Sena SMH FM5 for phone connectivity and even listen to radio through it if I'm in traffic (comedy channel!!!).
.::I know the voices in my head aren't real, but man do they come up with some great ideas::.
ModernMike

Post by ModernMike »

3/4 with retractable visor. Most importantly, ghost flames and skulls. Ha! Look into those Mohawk hair pieces you can add on 😉
2014 Buddy 170i (2) One for GF
2012 BMW R1200RT
paracer

Post by paracer »

Syd

Post by Syd »

I have an HJC CL15. It is noisy, but the chin screen included with the helmet made a big difference. It's getting old and considered the CL or IS17, thanks, Tocsik, for the noise comment.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Nolan Modular (aka flip up) in hi vis yellow. Also has the retractable sun shield and a anti fog insert that actually works. Not the lightest or quietest modular on the market but it fits my head shape (try on before you buy any helmet!) and has been pretty durable. It came with a Ncom bluetooth but I have never used it and have since lost it. A friend bought a Sedici Cycle Gear branded modular helmet recently and really likes it so far. Was $150 cheaper than my Nolan, but like I said, I like my Nolans.
skully93

Post by skully93 »

I have a scorpion modular and full. Both are great.

I've been hit in the chin with bees/rocks etc, so I won't do anything less. Sometimes during Rallies I'll leave the modular open so I can make cheesy grins.
bedhead_k

bilt

Post by bedhead_k »

i rock a bilt techno bluetooth helmet (gloss black). i personally wouldnt pick it out of a show room but the guy that sold me my buddy gave it to me. aesthetically no super stylish and its only dot approved no snell... i def look like i should be riding a sport bike with it on...
PeteH

Post by PeteH »

GMax 68S full-face, Bell Classic 500 (in orange metalflake) 3/4, with face shield.
Feel da rhythm! Feel da rhyme! Get on up! It's Buddy Time!
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Helmets are very subjective, get what fits your noggin the best. I prefer Arai helmets full face which tend to be on the high end. I would encourage you go to a motorcycle dealership or accessories store and try on a bunch so you know what you want. :D
Argee

full face for true salvation

Post by Argee »

A high % of helmet impacts occur on the chin.

I really like lightweight helmets and good visibility. 1st was an Urban N20 Astro, which ran small. Next was M2r MR10, which ran large or at least more round. Latest is LS2 FF387, which is perfect except that the face shield does not have a "ventilation/de-fog position", i.e. barely opened. I think I can fix this, with a dremel. These all weighed around 3.25 lbs.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

My personal favorite is the Nolan N43e or N44. Ventilation and visibility are just as good as an open face, but the chin bar provides pretty much the same protection as a full shell helmet. Good face screen and retractable sunscreen. Comes with a pinlock insert. Good selection of colors. Well made. Comfortable. Provisions for an intercom/Bluetooth insert.
Attachments
Nolan N43.jpg
Nolan N43.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 3176 times
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Dooglas wrote:My personal favorite is the Nolan N43e or N44. Ventilation and visibility are just as good as an open face, but the chin bar provides pretty much the same protection as a full shell helmet. Good face screen and retractable sunscreen. Comes with a pinlock insert. Good selection of colors. Well made. Comfortable. Provisions for an intercom/Bluetooth insert.
+1 on the Nolan N43 (and I would assume a +1 on the N44 if I ever get a chance to upgrade my current helmet).
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I bought a cheap Raiders DOT approved 3/4 helmet and I like it and am sticking with it. I'm really cautious. I also wear plastic safety glasses. DO Protect your Eyes! Always. BUT, if you can stand the full face helmet, I'd go with that as it protects your jaw, according to the stats. Make sure the helmet is comfortable. It takes some getting use to helmets.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Shoe RF1100
Arai Cosair
One head per customer.
skipper20

Re: Weigh in on helmets!

Post by skipper20 »

adahl wrote:I just got a buddy 125 seafoam green and I wanna stay safe! Would like some input on helmets, what are you wearin' to protect your noggin?
Whatever it is that you buy, make sure it has good eye and face protection. And, most importantly, go to a MC/scooter store and try it on in-person before you buy. It's got to feel just right and buying online will NOT give you that first-hand personal experience. Good luck and ride safe!

Bill in Seattle but wintering in Tucson
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
paige

Post by paige »

Nolan N103 for several years, just switched to Schuberth C3.

I really liked the modular Nolan for fit and integrated sunshield.

The Schuberth is really light and almost spookily quiet.

You really need to try them on, because you will be wearing the helmet more than any other piece of gear.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

I'd like to be able to afford a Nolan, but since I can't, I bought a mid-priced HJC S-Max modular. Been wearing that with no problems for 8 years. Only washed the liner once in all that time. I know, ewww! Some people complain about the noise, but it's been quieter than any of the other helmets I've had, so I'm happy. Besides, I'm easy to please...
With that being said, I'm currently looking for a new HJC modular because they have a retractable sunscreen, which would be great. I also noticed that HJC is offering an optional "electric shield" for some of their helmets. Basically, it's an electrically powered visor that prevents fogging. That would be really useful for cold weather riding. Currently, my shield fogs up pretty badly unless I stop breathing while I'm riding. But, that doesn't last very long because I usually crash within a few minutes due to passing out from lack of oxygen.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Their is a insert called Fog City that works very well. Only down side is it is a PITA to install for the first time. Its basically measure 15 times and install once, because if you install it wrong there is no peeling it back and re-trying. But it does work.
Swordsman

Post by Swordsman »

The chin takes approximately 35% of the impacts. Those are pretty high odds to be without a chin bar.
iamryan25

Post by iamryan25 »

I really want the Bilwell Gringo full face - so simple.

I've had many kinds of helmets but have to agree that a full face is the best recommendation - I now ride with only a full face helmet - I want to keep my chin and teeth.
The red ones are faster.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

babblefish wrote:I also noticed that HJC is offering an optional "electric shield" for some of their helmets. Basically, it's an electrically powered visor that prevents fogging. That would be really useful for cold weather riding. Currently, my shield fogs up pretty badly unless I stop breathing while I'm riding. But, that doesn't last very long because I usually crash within a few minutes due to passing out from lack of oxygen.
Have you tried the pinlock insert? It really works.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Dooglas wrote:
babblefish wrote:I also noticed that HJC is offering an optional "electric shield" for some of their helmets. Basically, it's an electrically powered visor that prevents fogging. That would be really useful for cold weather riding. Currently, my shield fogs up pretty badly unless I stop breathing while I'm riding. But, that doesn't last very long because I usually crash within a few minutes due to passing out from lack of oxygen.
Have you tried the pinlock insert? It really works.
I'll have to look into that, thanks.

And the Fog City insert, thanks Sc00ter.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Just bought a new HJC IS-MAX 2 Style helmet, chin shield, and pinlock insert. Love the internal sun screen and the chin shield makes a world of difference for keeping out the cold wind. It's a bit quieter than my SY-MAX, probably because all the seals are still new. The chin guard locking mechanism on the IS-MAX is much better as it is all metal vs the plastic used in my old helmet. But, even with the pinlock insert, the shield still fogs up, but only when I'm stopped. It clears up as soon as I start moving again. And no, I'm not a mouth breather, lol. And yes, I made sure the seal was correctly sealed against the shield. The new helmet is bigger than the old even though both are medium size. It won't fit in the pet carrier. Still, overall, I'm very happy with my new helmet.

Ok, nvm...I just realized it's my glasses fogging up, not the helmet shield, lol.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Sadly my head is so big and oval I can only wear Arai's. I'd rather a $500 helmet and a little pain in the wallet than a $100,000 hospital bill and a lifelong headache.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

By the way people think it's ludicrous when I tell them my helmet cost more than my scooter did. In fact all my safety gear I wear probably could buy me 2 or 3 used scooters.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
eamrein

Post by eamrein »

I started with an HJC IS-2.. Wasn't bad, but switched to a Biltwell Bonanza with a bubble shield. Huge improvement in comfort/ wind noise..
skully93

Post by skully93 »

RoaringTodd wrote:By the way people think it's ludicrous when I tell them my helmet cost more than my scooter did. In fact all my safety gear I wear probably could buy me 2 or 3 used scooters.
HA!

I cant argue though. Our Scorpions are middle of the road, and some of those were expensive! we were lucky to get my wife's most recent one on sale for $90.

The Arai and Shoei helmets fit me better, and are lighter. I'm just too clumsy to justify an $800 helmet. Next Spring I will be replacing my stalwart helmet. It's fine, just tight. the new Scorpion shell is a little rounder.
ravenlore

Post by ravenlore »

skully93 wrote:
RoaringTodd wrote:By the way people think it's ludicrous when I tell them my helmet cost more than my scooter did. In fact all my safety gear I wear probably could buy me 2 or 3 used scooters.
HA!

I cant argue though. Our Scorpions are middle of the road, and some of those were expensive! we were lucky to get my wife's most recent one on sale for $90.

The Arai and Shoei helmets fit me better, and are lighter. I'm just too clumsy to justify an $800 helmet. Next Spring I will be replacing my stalwart helmet. It's fine, just tight. the new Scorpion shell is a little rounder.
Orly? That information is relevant to my interests.
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Shoei Neotec is the first FF or modular that I have owned that I can actually feel air movement over the top of my head on a hot day.

I had a Nolan N43 and liked it a lot but it wasn't as cool as the Shoei. Also the Nolan uses the propriety intercom system and it is difficult to mount any other.

Nolans seem to have a different shape than most. They fit me but many people have problems with the fit.
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

BuddyRaton wrote:I had a Nolan N43 and liked it a lot but it wasn't as cool as the Shoei. Also the Nolan uses the propriety intercom system and it is difficult to mount any other.
I installed a Sena SMH10R on my Nolan N43 helmet and it was a relatively straightforward install in my opinion. It was the first bluetooth helmet headset install that I had done at the time. I have done it on a number of other folks' helmets several times since then including two this last weekend and the process was pretty much the same regardless of brand.
JettaKnight

Post by JettaKnight »

RoaringTodd wrote:Sadly my head is so big and oval I can only wear Arai's. I'd rather a $500 helmet and a little pain in the wallet than a $100,000 hospital bill and a lifelong headache.
I'm right there with you. I got a deal on a Profile before they discontinued that line and haven't figured out what to replace it with.

Which model do you wear?
keltick

Post by keltick »

I love my Arai, but I do have a Bell 500 which is pretty good.
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

ModernMike wrote:3/4 with retractable visor. Most importantly, ghost flames and skulls. Ha! Look into those Mohawk hair pieces you can add on 😉
I have a different set of priorities when looking for a helmet.

Nolan N104. Best helmet for the price in my opinion.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

If I just got a scooter I would buy a full face helmet in neon yellow. that's what I wish I had done.