What is so attractive about the Stella?

The original 2-stroke Genuine scooter and its 4-stroke manual and automatic offspring

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

lou76 wrote:and then i get to make my own contradictory posts and in turn get contradicted and get butt hurt... and then i am really a scooterist...
Wiser words were never said. That's what scootering is all about: arguing on the internet and butt pain! : )
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
louie

Post by louie »

illnoise wrote:
lou76 wrote:and then i get to make my own contradictory posts and in turn get contradicted and get butt hurt... and then i am really a scooterist...
Wiser words were never said. That's what scootering is all about: arguing on the internet and butt pain! : )
perhaps you should just put that under your tarp. :wink:
pocphil
Dealer

Post by pocphil »

A wise man would sit back and keep quiet right now having received such a validation. It's too cold outside to not say SOMETHING.

I only get snarky when others get snarky first. It's online...it's not personal...nobody out there (Save Beeb and maybe a few others) knows me well enough to make me feel bad on this or any other forum. The best and worst part of the internet is everyone's voice is equal and basks in the glow of the same credibility.

If ANYONE has data that doesn't jibe with mine, I want to know about it right now. I run my entire business based on data, what works, what doesn't. I've made mistakes, backed the wrong horse and been bitten in the ass. My tactic for improving myself and my shop is to have the technical information on EVERYTHING. We test more scooters than any other shop I'm aware of, and I do my research. We've visited most of the shops in America that are making big numbers and we've tried to learn from their strengths and weaknesses. We've learned to NEVER take what a manufacturer says as gospel. We test. Period.

If Keys thinks I'm a knob, he's entirely entitled to his opinion. When I see people whipping non-technicians into a frenzy about an issue that I know isn't a big deal, I'm gonna jump in to chill things out. Everyone likes drama, but when it's passed off as technical advice I get a little worked up. These forums are full of knowledge hungry neophytes. When a guy comes on and says "Better check your stators" or "There's a rash of failures" the result is instant widespread panic (not the band). One post created a frenzy of "Wow, I'd better go check my bike...it's orange too!"

This isn't new to this forum...I've been doing this click-click-click thing for a very long time and have seen this exact symptom on EVERY forum I've set up or lurked on. It doesn't surprise me when I see it happen and I never, EVER take it personally.

Talk bad on my wife or my friends and you'll get an entirely different reaction.
Phil Waters
ClevelandMoto
Pride Of Cleveland Scooters
18636 Detroit Rd.
Lakewood, Ohio 44107
216-227-1964
www.clevelandmoto.com
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

I really want a new Stella. I turn 30 on February 6. HINT HINT, EVERYBODY I KNOW WHO HAS AN EXTRA $4K LYING AROUND.

O, and in red. Duh!
ModBud #442
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Ride what you like! I like all my rides!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL
scooterdoodler

Post by scooterdoodler »

rajron wrote:In all forms of motor sports the 2 stroke has and is going to the wayside because of their reliability issues combined with poor throttle response, lubrication issues and poor fuel economy, oh and the EPA problems. At one time small displacement 2 strokes ruled – not anymore.
It's not a scooter, but it's definately a two-stroke.......

There's exceptions to every rule, and as far as most two-stroke stereotypes are concerned, this machines defies almost all of them except perhaps fuel economy, (and yes! the EPA too) which with me riding it, ranged from the low 30's, to a high of 40-42 if ridden VERY conservatively at a steady 'rural' pace.

The bike pictured was my fifth, and last (hopefully not forever) Suzuki GT750 two-stroke, water-cooled triple. I sold this bike on ebay about three years ago, and dearly regret it (bought by a collector in Japan, which is where the bike was to be sent).

My first GT750 was bought new in 1974, and ridden 61,000 miles over the next three years (without one mechanical failure) until I was hit by a car on it, and sold it to a friend, who repaired it and rode it another ten thousand or so before he sold it in turn, still running as well as when I had it. This model, after some crank seal 'bugs' in the first year (1972), earned a well-deserved reputation for exceptional reliability until production ceased with the 1977 model, being replaced with the newer GS series of four-cylinder four-stroke bikes.

This model redlined at a very low 7000 rpm, and produced about 54 lbs of torque. It was all midrange power, with quite a low horsepower output, but roughly comparable to it's Honda CB750 contemporary....although the Suzuki two-stroke had more low and midrange power than the Honda at a similar RPM, which surprises many who weren't, or aren't familiar with this bike, or confuse it with the Kawasaki H2 triple two-stroke, which was a different 'animal' entirely.
Official 'Scooter Madness' stuff......
http://www.cafepress.com/backlundart

Ride the big 'Burgy'..
http://youtube.com/watch?v=vWueAVyfKTE
Keys

Post by Keys »

Ah, a Water Buffalo...loved 'em. My favorite Suzuki 2-stroker was the T-500 Titan of which I had 3.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
Roose Hurro

"I just want to turn the key and go..."

Post by Roose Hurro »

Scooterdoodler, very nice Suzuki... I'd say the relatively low fuel mileage is not only related to the 2-stroke nature of the bike, but to the fact it is a 750cc displacement three-cylinder, not a 150-200cc single.

As for the rest of this discussion, so long as it has two wheels, a motor, and does what I want it to do, I don't care if it's a two or four-stroker. The only problem I have with the 2-stroke is the extra expense of oil, and the need on old scoots to use pre-mix. Oil-injected 2-strokes take care of that last part, and I know some people say it's cheaper or at least comparable cost-wise to the 4-stroke's need for periodic oil changes, but I do have a preference for 4-strokes. However, I have looked hard at Aprilia's SR-50 DiTech, and though its performance is impressive for a 50cc machine, I've read it has a problem with condensation messing up the DiTech's oil injection system... ever gotten water in your oil, and seen the mess it makes? Anyway, this whole discussion has been interesting, but I see no reason for friction. It all comes down to how each individual machine performs in the hands of its rider, and on how happy they are with their machine and its performance.

Me? I'd be happy if I could afford a scoot, right now. Way things have been going, I may have to wait a few more years, before I can enjoy scooting. Count yourselves lucky......... 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
scooterdoodler

Post by scooterdoodler »

Keys wrote:Ah, a Water Buffalo...loved 'em. My favorite Suzuki 2-stroker was the T-500 Titan of which I had 3.

--Keys 8)
Great!

I've ridden some of the 500 twins (later GT500 models), but have yet to own one......(but I still may! :wink:)

I've owned a '76 GT250, and a '73 550 triple, but missed both the 380 triple and 500 twin....my loss, dammit!

Ride the big 'Burgy'..
Keys

Post by Keys »

...don't forget the 250 Hustler...I had the scrambler version...it was a little rocket!.

--Keys 8)
"Life without music would Bb"
scooterdoodler

Post by scooterdoodler »

Keys wrote:...don't forget the 250 Hustler...I had the scrambler version...it was a little rocket!.

--Keys 8)
There was one X6 running around my small home town of Pipestone Minnesota in the mid-late 60's, and several Yamahas, couple of 'Big Bear' scramblers and one 250 'Catalina' that a friend owned (I loved that Catalina)...and a bunch of HD 250 'Sprints' entirely because the only bike dealer in town was a tiny Harley shop. I had a red '66 Honda S90 at the time.

When my older brother was in the army, stationed at Fort Monmouth, NJ in 1966, he had a beautiful '65 Triumph Bonneville....that had it's ass kicked by a well-ridden 'Hustler' for two stoplights in a row. My brother still says the little Suzuki looked like a bottle-rocket as it left his Triumph in a blue haze of two-stroke smog. He needed some room for the Triumph to reel in the X6...if it could, but there wasn't enough.

Ride the big 'Burgy'..
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

Here's my old '71 500 Titan and my dad's 380.
Attachments
1972 Suzuki 380 Triple
1972 Suzuki 380 Triple
1972Suzuki380.jpg (56.64 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
1971 Suzuki 500 Titan
1971 Suzuki 500 Titan
1971Suzuki500Titan.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

pocphil wrote: yeah, and if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.
that has to be the funniest remark ive ever heard ill be using it a lot thanks phil
vaderscoot

Post by vaderscoot »

pocphil wrote: yeah, and if my aunt had a dick she'd be my uncle.
that has to be the funniest remark ive ever heard ill be using it a lot thanks phil
gt1000

Re: "I just want to turn the key and go..."

Post by gt1000 »

Roose Hurro wrote:Scooterdoodler, very nice Suzuki... I'd say the relatively low fuel mileage is not only related to the 2-stroke nature of the bike, but to the fact it is a 750cc displacement three-cylinder, not a 150-200cc single.

As for the rest of this discussion, so long as it has two wheels, a motor, and does what I want it to do, I don't care if it's a two or four-stroker. The only problem I have with the 2-stroke is the extra expense of oil, and the need on old scoots to use pre-mix. Oil-injected 2-strokes take care of that last part, and I know some people say it's cheaper or at least comparable cost-wise to the 4-stroke's need for periodic oil changes, but I do have a preference for 4-strokes. However, I have looked hard at Aprilia's SR-50 DiTech, and though its performance is impressive for a 50cc machine, I've read it has a problem with condensation messing up the DiTech's oil injection system... ever gotten water in your oil, and seen the mess it makes? Anyway, this whole discussion has been interesting, but I see no reason for friction. It all comes down to how each individual machine performs in the hands of its rider, and on how happy they are with their machine and its performance.

Me? I'd be happy if I could afford a scoot, right now. Way things have been going, I may have to wait a few more years, before I can enjoy scooting. Count yourselves lucky......... 8)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've ridden the SR-50 and it's a great bike. I even saw a couple of new ones on Saturday at the local Vespa/Aprilia/Ducati dealer.

Condensation is a pretty common problem for 4 strokes too. If your bike has a sight glass, like my GT, you can see this white sludge build up in the oil. That sludge is from condensation. The solution is to thoroughly warm up your bike when you ride it. If you get the oil temperature to 200+ degrees, condensation should evaporate. So, especially in colder months, whenever I ride I make sure my motor is running for about a half hour to fully warm up.

Since two strokes inject oil and the oil is in a reservoir that's not necessarily inside a hot engine, the warm up won't be a solution for the SR-50. However, I've got to think that the reservoir is plastic so, if you keep it as full as possible in winter months, theoretically, you should be able to minimize the development of condensation. That's what I did with my old Mojito and condensation was one problem I actually never had.

Anyone know for sure?
Andy

2006 Buddy 125 (orange), going to a good MB home
2009 Vespa 250 GTS (black)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 (black)
2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, traded for Tiger 800
MikieTaps

Re: What is so attractive about the Stella?

Post by MikieTaps »

poop colored buddy wrote:

Your post makes baby Jesus cry.
This just got added to my signature.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Each to his own taste. Me, I love two-strokes. I love the sound, the smell , the manual shifting, the solidity of the metal construction. I used to race a 2-stroke Saab 750GT, and years before that, I drove a 1954 NSU/Lambretta scooter. I understand that 4-stroke, automatic plastic-bodied scooters are the wave of the future. Fine; you drive one. I've owned and driven them and they're perfectly functional and reliable, and have all the soul of a toaster oven.
Dan Buddy

Post by Dan Buddy »

Q: What is so attractive about the Stella?
A: Have you seen me on my Stella? I'm drop dead sexy!
Davfff

Post by Davfff »

Well, I put down a deposit on a new, black 2008 Stella (Better known in New Zealand as the Belladonna) a couple of days ago.

My first scooter was a 2004 Vespa ET2, which was great fun, and a step into scootering after a fairly long history of riding motorbikes. I needed something with a bit more guts to power me around the Wellington hills, something which was tuneable and more over, something with soul.

Since buying my first scooter, I always wanted to own a vintage. However, until the day comes when I can afford a car, a reliable daily driver scooter to get me to and from work and University, and a vintage to pour cash into, this just isn't going to happen.

For me, the Stella gives me the best of both worlds. The vintage style, married with a (hopefully) reliable workhorse that I can depend on.

I've always had an affinity for things that are a little different. It's not a concious decision which I make to try and seperate myself from the pack (mind you, who knows what's going on in my subconcious? not me, that's for sure). The the allure of odd or different vehicles has always been hard for me resist.

There's also the "pizazz" that's hard to pin down. Trying to explain the complete attraction to a scooter like this is like trying to explain the joys of two wheels to a non-biker. It's just not possible (or not easy). When I started this post, I thought I'd be able to clearly and concisely explain what I loved about the Stella. Unfortunately, it didn't quite come out that way.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Sorry for the thread hijack - but

Can you expound upon the dble clutch thingy?

And my new Stella has had stupid here, raises hand, grind it or not hit all the gears correct more and more than once, did I kill the tranny or is this part of my bootcamp training?

TIA
Bryce-O-Rama

Post by Bryce-O-Rama »

rajron wrote:What is so attractive about the Stella?
I really don’t get it, I think they are sort of funky looking, performance is low, they are high polluters, and you have to shift.
The Stella is a P-series Vespa. Aside from the Honda Cub series, it's the longest running scooter model ever. At 30 years of production, in several factories across the globe, the P-series makes all scooters but the Cub look like a flash in the pan.
- Bryce
Susan Pegsmen
Banned

Post by Susan Pegsmen »

Bryce-O-Rama wrote:
rajron wrote:What is so attractive about the Stella?
I really don’t get it, I think they are sort of funky looking, performance is low, they are high polluters, and you have to shift.
The Stella is a P-series Vespa. Aside from the Honda Cub series, it's the longest running scooter model ever. At 30 years of production, in several factories across the globe, the P-series makes all scooters but the Cub look like a flash in the pan.
Our P200 with a fully rebuilt performance engine, cutback crank, 210 kit, etc. most relliable scooter ever and scary fast. You can get a really nice one for about $2500
Attachments
Vespa P200 left full 8-22-2008 9-13-40 AM.JPG
Vespa P200 left full 8-22-2008 9-13-40 AM.JPG (198.82 KiB) Viewed 2440 times
Neducati

Post by Neducati »

Dan Buddy wrote:Q: What is so attractive about the Stella?
A: Have you seen me on my Stella? I'm drop dead sexy!
Right Said Fred: I'm too sexy for my Stella . . too sexy for my Stella . . .
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

The difference between a 4-stroke twist&go and a Stella is the difference between a wife and a mistress.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

PeterC, let's keep the misogyny off this forum, okeh?
ModBud #442
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

It would appear that misogyny is in the eye of the beholder.
polianarchy

Post by polianarchy »

You are absolutely right, and that's why I'm asking you to think about what you are writing.
ModBud #442