Why the buddy?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

mfrance1189

Why the buddy?

Post by mfrance1189 »

I attend an advertising school in which I need to develop an ad campaign for genuine scooters. I was curious if anyone could give me some insight. What's o great about the buddy in your own words. Whether it's your day to day life, What you like about your buddy, or what made you want to ride a genuine scooter in general. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.?
Thanks!
New2Scoots

Post by New2Scoots »

I did a lot of research before buying mine. I wanted the most nimble scooter I could find that could keep up with traffic. I have a Honda Metro that's tiny & that's what make it so much fun. But I needed more power to get out of the neighborhood. My Buddy is almost as nimble but twice as fast so I can go anywhere on it. It can do figure eights in my driveway & 65+ on the road. And it's WAY easier to get in & out of my garage & past the cars than my motorcycle. 2nd, I love the looks. Price was decent too.
2014 Genuine Buddy 170i
2014 Honda NC700X

Clydeo

Why a Buddy?

Post by Clydeo »

I got a Buddy for 3 main reasons:
1. The seat height (my daughter is short. The Buddy, with the lowered seat, is the only bike that fit).
2. Phil McCabe (the face of Genuine, sorry he has "moved on")
3. The bikes reputation for reliability.

Good luck!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

We've still got the same one after 10 years. And it still runs great!
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I stayed away from Buddy for 3 years or so because I always thought they were a bit quirky. I went through a SYM HD200 and a Kymco Like before I ended up with a Buddy 125. IMO the Buddy 125 is hands down the best 55mph scooter you can get in any price range. The build quality, fit and finish are equal to Japanese made Hondas or Yamahas. The buddy is comfortable, has plenty of storage (love the bin for gloves and water bottle), and a breeze to work on. I just picked up a Vespa GT200. The valve adjustment took me close to 3 hours. You can adjust the valves on a Buddy in 30 minutes. They have been selling the same scooter since 2006 (one headlight size change) with no changes. Show me anything else in the motorized world where this is the case.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

I wanted the smallest 125 cc I could find to fit in a tight garage. The Buddy was by far the smallest. Turns out it's also the fastest 125 cc scooter around. Since it's so tiny it can maneuver circles around the competition. The fact that the price was less than half of the Euro scooters with better reliability was icing on the cake. It's also easy and cheap to work on yourself. With 90 mpg, who wouldn't want one? It's a no brainer win win win win win scenario. The stupid smile on my face while I'm riding is telling indeed.
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Bought a 07 Buddy 125 brand new and put over 30,000 miles on it before I sold it, cheap, to a friend (still running!) and bought a gently used 08 Buddy 125. Best bang for your buck, bullet proof reliable, quick for a 125cc and easy to service. We also own a Suzuki Burgman 200 and a Can Am Spyder, but the Buddy 125 is still my favorite to ride.
Argee

Why Buddy? It fits most of the requirements

Post by Argee »

1. I am not very tall. Buddy with a shorter rear shock is perfect.
2. Sat on it, and all the controls were in the right place.
3. I only have to go 55 mph to get to work.
4. 170i had fuel injection, thought it would get better mileage (it doesn't).
5. I have a bad hip, so I was stuck with step-through bikes.
6. I like the giant headlight and loud horn.
giddyup98

Post by giddyup98 »

I bought our 2009 Buddy 125 and 2012 Buddy 170i because of rave reviews by our friends, and they both fit in the bed of our Chevy Colorado. I also own comparable size Kymco scooters, and Buddys by far, are the more stable and faster of the two brands.
Attachments
coloradoandbuddies.jpg
coloradoandbuddies.jpg (74.45 KiB) Viewed 1984 times
Last edited by giddyup98 on Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2009 Genuine Buddy 125
2012 Genuine Buddy 170
2005 Vespa GT 200
toot

Buddy

Post by toot »

I have a Blackjack. Stock it is probably the best scooter I have ever owned. Have owned Honda, Vespa, Piaggio, and 4 different Genuines. This bike by far is the best handling and ride I have ever owned for what I use it for. The reason we ride the Buddy is because it feels like no other scooter out there. 😜
Last edited by toot on Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

I purchased the 170i because it's very light with good power and nice handling. I like to think of it as a sportbike and ride it accordingly.
mfrance1189

Thanks! Pictures?

Post by mfrance1189 »

Thank you so much! Now I'm thinking i want to get one. Plenty of good material for the assignment. If anyone would care to send me a picture of them on/with their scooter that would be an awesome gesture! my email is mfrance1189@gmail.com. Again, I greatly appreciate your input.
Thanks!
laurfunkle

Post by laurfunkle »

Hey! Pretty sure you're one of the guys who came into our shop the other day. Glad you're getting so much great feedback! :D

Just gonna throw my 2 cents in here-
I love my Buddy because it's small enough that it's light and easily maneuverable (and easy to catch if it starts tipping over on you), but big enough that I'm still visible. They're super quick and really fun to whip around, with plenty of customization options. Easy to work on with great customer support from Genuine. Plus, they're just flat out FUN!!
SteMer

Post by SteMer »

When I went shopping for a scooter I simply looked at what my very knowledgable scooter salesperson was riding at the time. If that's what he chose, then it's gotta be good. 10 years later, it's still good.
Mighty Ohio Scooter Club

skipper20

Re: Why the buddy?

Post by skipper20 »

mfrance1189 wrote:I attend an advertising school in which I need to develop an ad campaign for genuine scooters. I was curious if anyone could give me some insight. What's o great about the buddy in your own words. Whether it's your day to day life, What you like about your buddy, or what made you want to ride a genuine scooter in general. I would appreciate any feedback you can give me.?
Thanks!
I went for the name "Buddy". I mean, who doesn't want to have a Buddy in their life? And, then of course I ditched the Buddy and bought a Hooligan, two of them in fact. Hey, you're an advertising guy. Please tell us why Genuine would come up with warm, soft, cuddly names like "Buddy" and "Stella" and then give the rest of their products harsh, aggressive names like Psycho, Riot, Rattler, Roughhouse, Blackjack and Hooligan. TIA,

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
Syd

Post by Syd »

Why the Buddy? Well, because of ModernBuddy.com, of course. One of the (very few) great internet forums.
The majority is always sane - Nessus
ScooterDave
Most Likely to Spontaneously Combust

Post by ScooterDave »

SteMer wrote:When I went shopping for a scooter I simply looked at what my very knowledgable scooter salesperson was riding at the time. If that's what he chose, then it's gotta be good. 10 years later, it's still good.
Steve - Call it what it is. You saw me on my pink Buddy and knew you had to have one.

BTW - I went riding with BoneGirl tonight and we miss our rabbi.
MYSCTR

SIMPLY

Post by MYSCTR »

FUN
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

The Buddy 125 can usually fit in your garage with your cars. We have a pair of them. As told above, the Buddy is light, so you can load it in the truck bed without help. I have to lower my tailgate to carry two buddys in my little truck.
_We like to haul the Buddys to Galveston to check out the beach. We also haul them to little towns where we can avoid traffic lights and enjoy twisty roads.
_Though the Buddy is light and compact, its still a good, comfortable commuter. When time and weather allows, I commute 60 miles round trip on it.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
BuddyRaton
Scooter Dork

Post by BuddyRaton »

Buddy 125

Best Bang for the Buck

Nuff said!
"Things fall apart - it's scientific" - David Byrne
www.teamscootertrash.com

'06 Cream Buddy 125, 11 Blur 220, 13 BMW C 650 GT, 68 Vespa SS180, 64 Vespa GS MK II, 65 Lambretta TV 175, 67 Vespa GT, 64 Vespa 150 VBB 64 Vespa GL