Insurance Coverage - What is appropiate?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

EP_scoot

Insurance Coverage - What is appropiate?

Post by EP_scoot »

Hi all,
I am pondering how much insurance coverage would be appropiate for a scooter.
On the cars we have the std. 300/100/300 (or viceversa), full collision, liability, etc.

On the scoot, I am thinking liability (which is mandatory anyway), theft and collision, but what levels of insured/uninsured coverage?

What do you guys have and what do you pay per 6 or 12 months?

Thanks,
Beer is the answer . . . what was the question?

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I've got progressive, they have a "winter layoff" which knocks a bit off your plan and the rep told me it still allows you to ride occasionally (I asked about Toys for Tots or riding on an unseasonably nice day and they said that was OK, but I'm not sure how they'd enforce or prove that you weren't riding all winter).

The rest of it's all personal choice (other than liability), with a new bike, especially, it's pretty cheap so it probably makes sense to err on the side of too much coverage. With vintage bikes, it gets a little cloudier, because there's such a disparity between market value and blue book value, and they're not directly replaceable, so you usually end up paying extra for "declared value" insurance.

Be sure to ask about all the discounts, over 25, garaged, AMA member, MSF class, helmet, married, etc. If you meet the right criteria, you can knock a schload off. The MSF class is great, but even if you can't get in and have to pay to take a class, it'll make your insurance cheaper.

Bb.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Thanks illinoise.
Any idea what the average 12 month cost is? $150? $200? Actually, I will just call around as it probably vary from one state to another.

Are there some companies more friendly than others towards scooter/motorcycle pricing/customer service?

Thanks again.

D.
illnoise
Moderator Emeritus

Post by illnoise »

I think we pay between 200 and 300 annually to insure three bikes (one new scooter, one vintage scooter, one vintage motorcycle) for both my wife and I. We have everything going for us, age/marriage/no accidents/layoff/ama and helmet discounts, etc.

I've been very happy with Progressive, but luckily I've never had to file a claim. They let me add/switch bikes immediately over the phone (I have other bikes in various states of repair that I insure sporadically when they're rideable) and they've always been easy to work with. But other vintage scooterists have reported huge rate spikes in the past few years, some younger, single people living in the city without a garage were getting bills for $800 a year for vintage bikes. I don't think that was a problem with modern scooters, but if you're getting quoted more than $300 a year for one rider on one bike, definitely shop around.
2strokebuzz: When news breaks, we put it under a tarp in the garage.
EP_scoot

Post by EP_scoot »

Great info,
thanks again !

D.
coopdway

Post by coopdway »

Like illnoise, I'm with Progressive, haven't filed a claim yet and been with them for a few years. I do everything online and really appreciate the convenience.