Would you go back?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Whimscootie

Would you go back?

Post by Whimscootie »

I am going to be shopping for another scooter in the next few months and am leaning toward a brand carried by a local dealership. The problem is I am leery of looking for one there again due to a negative experience at this particular dealership last year. They had gotten a used scoot in on trade and were in the process of going over and servicing it and I expressed a serious desire to try it out when it was ready and even told them I would likely purchase it and had the cash in hand. I even offered to put down a deposit to hold it and that was refused. They promised to call me when it was ready and I never got a call. I learned later that it was sold. I was pissed, to say the least. My alternatives to this dealer are 3 hours away. Would you go back to this shop based on this experience?
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Technically, the dealer does not make a ton of money of the initial sale so to speak, so if you buy the scoot from them you could always go elsewhere for gear, parts and service. The dealership I got my last scoot from I would never go back to for anything. They not only lost any after sales from me but I will not buy another scoot or bike from them when its time to replace or upgrade. So if they got ya the first time, I know were you are coming from. You will have to let your wallet make that decision for you.
mike932

Post by mike932 »

buy a scooter from craiglist. adjust the search so it search towns that are far from your town..... http://bit.ly/1PfvEGx

here are buddy scooters.... http://bit.ly/1sIAL7M
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Well, one issue that may steer me away from this purchase is the prospect of having to rely on that shop for future maintenance work. I feel sad about that because I really wanted to be able to seriously consider a purchase from this line of scooters. Used is going to be it and learning even more about doing my own basic maintenance if I have to.
skipper20

Re: Would you go back?

Post by skipper20 »

Whimscootie wrote:I am going to be shopping for another scooter in the next few months and am leaning toward a brand carried by a local dealership. The problem is I am leery of looking for one there again due to a negative experience at this particular dealership last year. They had gotten a used scoot in on trade and were in the process of going over and servicing it and I expressed a serious desire to try it out when it was ready and even told them I would likely purchase it and had the cash in hand. I even offered to put down a deposit to hold it and that was refused. They promised to call me when it was ready and I never got a call. I learned later that it was sold. I was pissed, to say the least. My alternatives to this dealer are 3 hours away. Would you go back to this shop based on this experience?
It's possible that there was a lack of communication within the dealership. Perhaps one employee didn't know that another employee had talked to you about you buying the scooter and went ahead and sold it to another person. If you really like the brand that this dealer is selling, it might be worthwhile for you to go back to them and talk to their sales manager and tell him/her about your negative experience. If they show a willingness to make it up to you by giving you a nice deal on the scooter you like, then it's a win-win situation. But, if they show indifference, by all means get out of their quick and make other plans. Good luck!

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Bill has a good point. Go in with a level head and speak to someone 'important' it can't hurt.
As for maintaince, as also stated, most shops seem to make their most profit on that. But if you have a 'bad feeling', the decision is yours if you want to use them for that or not.

I had an expierence once where a shop was recultant to work on my scoot saying that because I "didn't buy it from them". I've not been back since. They were a Genuine dealer.
Two other shops that didn't handle the Genuine line also said "nope" when I queried on service. I guess those people didn't need my money.
My current shop is a Genuine dealer, I didn't buy from him but he has no issues with that.
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

It is pretty much a one man operation, so it was not a case of miscommunication. More like a case of "taking care of your buddies first". No, I just can't see myself going back there. I am going to go Honda or Yamaha instead. I might give a used Genuine scoot a look, but would not take it to that shop for anything it needed. That's what you guys are for! LOL
Last edited by Whimscootie on Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
george54

Post by george54 »

I'm in complete agreement with you to not go back there. Buy a different brand as you are thinking to do, or buy one off Craigslist. Whatever brand you get, buy a repair manual and learn to do basic maintenance yourself- it's not that hard- and you may avoid needing a real mechanic for quite a while. But, if doing the maintenance is not an option for you, look into joining a local scooter club and there's bound to be members that will do any work for you, or at least they'll know a good mechanic.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I do some basic maintenance and there are Honda and Yammie dealers who could help with the complicated stuff, if any. Good idea re scoot clubs. One is an hour north of me.
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

Are you getting another Metro? I vaguely remember you were going to get one around the time I got Scooterlou, my old Metro, back - I sadly had to sell her last year, when I got a car, but now I've got an ancient Honda Elite to fill my Honda void! I do hope you the scooter you're hoping for, whether it's new or used!
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

craftynerd wrote:Are you getting another Metro? I vaguely remember you were going to get one around the time I got Scooterlou, my old Metro, back - I sadly had to sell her last year, when I got a car, but now I've got an ancient Honda Elite to fill my Honda void! I do hope you the scooter you're hoping for, whether it's new or used!
Hi! No, I never got my Met back and right now I am scooterless. I am looking at possibly another older or new Met, a Ruckus, or a Genuine scoot. (Buddy, Roughhouse come to mind). Price and availability will likely drive my selection.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Whimscootie wrote:
craftynerd wrote:Are you getting another Metro? I vaguely remember you were going to get one around the time I got Scooterlou, my old Metro, back - I sadly had to sell her last year, when I got a car, but now I've got an ancient Honda Elite to fill my Honda void! I do hope you the scooter you're hoping for, whether it's new or used!
Hi! No, I never got my Met back and right now I am scooterless. I am looking at possibly another older or new Met, a Ruckus, or a Genuine scoot. (Buddy, Roughhouse come to mind). Price and availability will likely drive my selection.
If you like the 49cc class and it appears you do as you're thinking about a Met, I'd go with the Roughhouse. It has a certain non-conformist wake-up look to it that I like whereas the Met looks kinda boring. It would put me to sleep if I owned one.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

skipper20 wrote: the Met looks kinda boring. It would put me to sleep if I owned one.
Though the Mets are kinda 'under powered', I sometimes felt as if it couldn't even get out of it's own way, that's why I 'upgraded' to my Buddy 150, I feel that the older ones were kinda 'stylish'. (To each his own.) Maybe I'm biased as a Met was my first scooter. I'd personally like to aquire another one some day.....
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
Clydeo

50cc

Post by Clydeo »

Whimscootie wrote:
Carlisle Cycle and Scooter has a Kymco 50 for 800 something.....
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

I was very interested in a Roughhouse, but they don't keep them in and so no test ride. I would have to special order one through this dealer. Unless one pops up locally used, I see no way to get one to try or buy. Boo hoo!
Whimscootie

Re: 50cc

Post by Whimscootie »

Clydeo wrote:
Whimscootie wrote:
Carlisle Cycle and Scooter has a Kymco 50 for 800 something.....
That is a great price! Unfortunately too far from me.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

So to update, I am eyeing an older used Met with only 700 miles on it. Looks new, but sat mostly and dealer that took it in on trade has supposedly gone over it. I am going to test ride it on Wednesday. Cheap and fun enough to serve my scootin' needs at present. We'll see how she rolls.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

The little "denim blue" and cream Met drove like a new one. I put her on lay-away and bought a front basket on Ebay. Hopefully I can get her out soon, but they told me I can come and ride her anytime!

:D
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

Congrats on the Met! What year is it? Those are fun little scoots, and if you do all the little "Man In The Box" mods it will go pretty quick and stay reliable.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Looks to be a 2002, so it likely has the early PCV system issue. Don't know if the 2006-on PCV system can be retrofitted, but it can be kept happy and healthy with regular oil changes.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

It's an 02. Yeah, I would have preferred an 06 foward to 09 engine but the price is right, the dealer close by, and it has not even been broken in. Looks new and has a new gas tank installed.

Some premium gas, seafoam, premium oil and regular changes ought to keep her purring.

I am going to put some NEW TIRES on her and will welcome suggestions. Want the widest she will take.

Will buy the rear rack, windscreen, and probably a Cheeky Seats cover for stylin'.

What other upgrades would you guys do?