Do you think it's possible to fit a Roughhouse 50 in a car?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Do you think it's possible to fit a Roughhouse 50 in a car?

Post by 45223 »

Specifically a Toyota Yaris/similar vehicle?

There is a good deal on them down in Florida. Only a tad over 1000 dollars. I'm thinking about going down to that state to and buy it but not totally sure if it would fit in the back of my car with the seats folded down lol.

I've fit a full adult sized bicycle with the wheel taken off in it before. Not sure how this would fit. It seems like there is enough room. But idk, if anyone has any experience with that, then that would be cool.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You can rent a single rail trailer from uhaul for $22.00 a day.
george54

Post by george54 »

I assume you're going to have it stick out the hatchback? 'cause it ain't gonna fit across the back seat. I wouldn't do it what with the chance that it will come loose and fall out, or fuel or oil can leak out onto your car interior, and the fact that you'll be on the highway with the rear hatch open, sucking in the car's exhaust for a few hours, not a great idea. Rent a trailer or a pickup.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

george54 wrote:I assume you're going to have it stick out the hatchback? 'cause it ain't gonna fit across the back seat. I wouldn't do it what with the chance that it will come loose and fall out, or fuel or oil can leak out onto your car interior, and the fact that you'll be on the highway with the rear hatch open, sucking in the car's exhaust for a few hours, not a great idea. Rent a trailer or a pickup.
Ditto above. Don't even think about trying to stuff it into the back of your car. Even if you could you'd risk spilled fluids from the scoot lying on its side. Renting a trailer would involve installing a proper trailer hitch and a plug-in for trailer lights on your car, For less than the price of such installation, you should be able to rent a pick-up truck from a dealer like U-Haul. If you do, carry the scoot upright with proper tie-downs. So, be safe and have a happy trip for what looks like a real bargain. Go for it!

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan 170i Titanium (AZ scoot)
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

That's a great deal. Want to share what dealer?

Billy
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I have a related question and it seems like something everyone but me already understands. My Buddy 125 once fell over while idling on the side-stand, on uneven ground, and there was no damage. So, why can't scooters be transported lying on their side? Esp. of course if the gas tank and carb. were empty? What sort of problems does this cause. Thank you.
thumper650

Post by thumper650 »

It will fit.

Just kidding, ride it back to where you live, or just rent a truck to get it home.

Putting a scooter on it's side is not a good idea. Even if there's no gas in it, gear oil, or motor oil could leak out and be pretty smelly in your car. Gas may not have leaked out of your Buddy but it sounds like you didn't leave it down for long. If it was given time, it would puke out some gas.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

ucandoit wrote: So, why can't scooters be transported lying on their side? Esp. of course if the gas tank and carb. were empty? What sort of problems does this cause.
And removing all of the oil from the crankcase (or 2T oil reservoir), and removing the battery. Well sure, if you choose to remove all fluids from the scooter AND you figure a way to support it on it's side so no damage is done to bendable or breakable parts. Most find that more trouble than simply arranging a way to transport the scooter upright.
Whimscootie

Re: Do you think it's possible to fit a Roughhouse 50 in a c

Post by Whimscootie »

45223 wrote:Specifically a Toyota Yaris/similar vehicle?

There is a good deal on them down in Florida. Only a tad over 1000 dollars. I'm thinking about going down to that state to and buy it but not totally sure if it would fit in the back of my car with the seats folded down lol.

I've fit a full adult sized bicycle with the wheel taken off in it before. Not sure how this would fit. It seems like there is enough room. But idk, if anyone has any experience with that, then that would be cool.

Renting that trailer is the best idea. Or see if the dealer will ship it to you. Renting a truck from U Haul for long distance is very expensive.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
craftynerd

Post by craftynerd »

Having seen in person both a Yaris and a Roughhouse, I don't think that scooter's going to fit in the back of that car - even if you lay it on its side. (Plus, laying a scooter on its side is never a good idea, due to all the fluids and such in it... found this out the hard way after my first scoot laid on its side for a while after I had an accident while riding it - it ended up with oil in the air filter, which led to the scooter not running.) I'll echo what others have said and suggest you rent a trailer, or see if you've got a friend with a pickup truck and some tie-down straps that you can borrow for the trip.
Whimscootie

Post by Whimscootie »

Canyon Dancer straps available at any motorcycle shop are great to keep your scoot from moving around in the truck bed.
Scootin' for a slower pace of life...
www.49ccscooterlife.blogspot.com
KABarash

Post by KABarash »

Putting a scooter on it's side is not a good idea.
Sound advice.....
I'm not a mechanic, nor do I profess to have much if any knowledge to such matters, but I don't think it will 'go well'.
Would one stand their car up on it's side for an extended period of time?
Aging is mandatory, growing up is optional.
My kids call me 'crazy', I prefer 'Eccentric'.
Nullius in verba
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

45223 wrote:Specifically a Toyota Yaris/similar vehicle?

Another option would be to have a 2" square hitch receiver installed on the back of your car and then buy a motorcycle carrying rack. With proper tie downs you'll be good to go.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

skipper20 wrote:Another option would be to have a 2" square hitch receiver installed on the back of your car and then buy a motorcycle carrying rack. With proper tie downs you'll be good to go.
I'm not sure if there's 2" hitch receivers available for such a small car, is there? I guess you could use an adapter, but then it would be a weak spot with extra movement. Also, the car is so small I'm not sure if the suspension could handle an extra 250 pounds cantilevered off the back. I imagine it would also impact handling in a negative way.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

k1dude wrote:
skipper20 wrote:Another option would be to have a 2" square hitch receiver installed on the back of your car and then buy a motorcycle carrying rack. With proper tie downs you'll be good to go.
I'm not sure if there's 2" hitch receivers available for such a small car, is there? I guess you could use an adapter, but then it would be a weak spot with extra movement. Also, the car is so small I'm not sure if the suspension could handle an extra 250 pounds cantilevered off the back. I imagine it would also impact handling in a negative way.
I had the smaller receiver on my Subaru Outback and used it with a 2" adapter. Weight was not a problem but the extra length of the adapter caused an occasional dragging when going up a steep driveway. Other than scrape marks on the bottom of the rack there was never any damage and it didn't happen very often. Handling of the car was never a problem.

Bill in Seattle
CountChocula

Post by CountChocula »

I think the Yaris would be too small.

I've had an Aprilia SR50 transported on it's side (fuel injected) 1000 miles but it was a tight fit in a Honda Pilot.

If you must ship see if you can drain fluids gas and oil and refill when you get it.

Put an ad on Uship. If you catch someone making the trip already I've had good luck finding very inexpensive INSURED and GUARANTEED shipments.

The Count
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

skipper20 wrote:I had the smaller receiver on my Subaru Outback and used it with a 2" adapter. Weight was not a problem but the extra length of the adapter caused an occasional dragging when going up a steep driveway. Other than scrape marks on the bottom of the rack there was never any damage and it didn't happen very often. Handling of the car was never a problem.

Bill in Seattle
An Outback is huge compared to a Yaris. It may be possible, but it would make me think twice before making the attempt.