Windscreen for Buddy Kick

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

cyclewhitman

Windscreen for Buddy Kick

Post by cyclewhitman »

Hi:

I recently bought a Buddy Kick and want to add a windscreen. The problem is the only windscreen available is smoke colored. I really don't want to use a dark windscreen, but if that is all that is available, I might have to.

Two questions...is a smoke windscreen too dark? I know the windscreen is not to be so high that I have to look through it, but even so, is a smoke colored one a poor choice? Second, any modifications anyone can recommend to perhaps use a windscreen from another type of scooter on the Kick? The windscreen that scooter works sells has under the handle bar hardware for mounting rather than on the mirrors, and I really want to do that. The look is much cleaner.

Thanks for your help!
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

Well, there is smoke and there is smoke. Some tinted windscreens are quite dark and some have a light gray tint. The main thing you really need is the mounting hardware. Once you have that, you can probably modify the plexiglas panel from other windscreens to fit. I have swapped several back and forth in the past.
cyclewhitman

Post by cyclewhitman »

Thanks for the advice. Getting the mounting hardware makes sense to me. Any idea how to buy it without having to also buy the windscreen?
redhandmoto

Post by redhandmoto »

See what you mean. The Prima windscreen sold by Scooterworks specifically for the Kick looks pretty dark: http://tinyurl.com/jhdhagn

So-called "universal" windsceens in a variety of sizes & shapes from dark smoked tp clear are available and come with mounting hardware:
http://tinyurl.com/hzl5zbp
honi soit qui mal y pense
cyclewhitman

Post by cyclewhitman »

Yeah that prima windscreen is so dark. I saw it in person mounted on a Kick, and you can't look through it. On a cloudy day, it would be even worse. Not sure why they are selling that one only.

However, I like how they have that windscreen mounted. It is not mounted on the mirrors but from underneath. I'd like to mount it that way, and so now I need to both find a way to just buy the hardware to do so and a windscreen to fit that hardware. I looked at the link you posted, and I see all of those windscreens are mirror mounted. I'll have to keep exploring. Thanks for the link.
wheelbender6

Post by wheelbender6 »

You should not need to look "through" the windscreen if it is sized as recommended. You should be able to look "over" a properly size windscreen, while the air blast will be directed above your eyes.
-Smoked windshields look good on dark colored bikes, but not all bikes. That is personal preference.
-I would look for a clear, universal mount windshield that will attach to your mirror mounts. Slipstreamer.com offers universal fit windscreens in a variety of sizes and heights. Its a good place to start.
2013 Buddy 125, Prima Pipe, #95 main jet, Orange CDI
cyclewhitman

Post by cyclewhitman »

Thanks for the advice about the windscreen. I hope to talk with someone at scooter works to see if they plan to make a clear windscreen or can sell the hardware separately. I prefer to use the mounting hardware that mounts from under the handlebars. It's a cleaner look and frees the mirrors for my iPhone and cup holder mounts. I will see what they say and then take it from there.