A quite tail of bambi vs Pamplona 150

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

Th17kit

A quite tail of bambi vs Pamplona 150

Post by Th17kit »

Last night I was out with a lady friend. We had picked a bunch of blackberries and were heading home with delicious Thai takeout. It had been a gorgeous Oregon day and we were wearing shorts, short sleeves, and helmets. I was doing about 55 bmph on a two lane rural road, in the dark, when a fawn appeared in my high beams. It was standing on the side of the road, next to my lane, and appeared unsure of what to do. Mother was standing a little further back, in the grass. I immediately applied the brakes.

The fawn became alarmed with our rapid approach and started accelerating into my lane. In a moment like this there isn't much time to think. I know from experience that one can either brake or swerve, but not both, at least not effectively. So there I was, braking hard as I could, and watching this adorable little fawn run right into our path.

It became inevitable that I wasn't going to slow down enough. Nor was the deer running fast enough to get out of our way.
In a sort of prayer to the spaghetti monster, a cry to the fates, warning to my passenger, and last ditch effort to motivate the deer, I yelled "oh f*ck!" and braced for impact.
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

And then what happened? You kind of stopped at the good part of the story...
Dooglas

Re: A quite tail of bambi vs Pamplona 150

Post by Dooglas »

Th17kit wrote:...shorts...55 bmph...rural road...dark...passenger...deer...braking hard.........
And then?
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

Well, they are here to tell the tale. :D
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
cummingsjc

Post by cummingsjc »

Well if that is the way the movie ends, I want my money back. ;-)
sc00ter

Post by sc00ter »

I figure since there is no "parts needed" or "parting out" in the Sale/Wanted section they must have just missed the deer! Came close enough for a real good scare but missed it in the end. Still would like a proper ending to the story because it......
Th17kit

THE END: A tail of bambi vs Pamplona 150

Post by Th17kit »

OKay I'm back after a brief hiatus. I apologize for what was to be a quick and playul pause turning into more than a week!
Th17kit wrote:Last night I was out with a lady friend. We had picked a bunch of blackberries and were heading home with delicious Thai takeout. It had been a gorgeous Oregon day and we were wearing shorts, short sleeves, and helmets. I was doing about 55 bmph on a two lane rural road, in the dark, when a fawn appeared in my high beams. It was standing on the side of the road, next to my lane, and appeared unsure of what to do. Mother was standing a little further back, in the grass. I immediately applied the brakes.

The fawn became alarmed with our rapid approach and started accelerating into my lane. In a moment like this there isn't much time to think. I know from experience that one can either brake or swerve, but not both, at least not effectively. So there I was, braking hard as I could, and watching this adorable little fawn run right into our path.

It became inevitable that I wasn't going to slow down enough. Nor was the deer running fast enough to get out of our way.
In a sort of prayer to the spaghetti monster, a cry to the fates, warning to my passenger, and last ditch effort to motivate the deer, I yelled "oh f*ck!" and braced for impact.
I have to admit that I closed my eyes, and thought for a split second that perhaps bambi was the last thing I would see on this fair planet. In hindsight that's better than what a lot of people get to see, but that didn't occur to me at the time.

I've yelled, I've braced, and I've closed my eyes. The impact is less than I expected, like the feeling of running from 10 feet away strait into a large bouldering pad. The scooter shook for a moment and I opened my eyes to see the deer spinning into the darkness off the side of the road. I had struck the deer just in front of it's hindquarters and tossed it off the side of the road.

Our superior weight of about 500 lbs (270 for the people and 230 for the scooter) was more than a match for the deer. It took awhile to bring the scooter to a stop. I was laughing with the joy of survival and the sheer improbability of the situation.

I didn't find the poor deer, it must have run off. Hopefully not too worse for wear. There is some deer fur in the cracked scooter panels. The impact broke the front shield, the front fender, and the lower guard. It still runs fine and I'm still riding it without any maintenance. Now I'm just waiting for replacement panels from scooterloungeonline and counting my blessings. Oh and constantly scanning the roadside for deer.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

No don't replace the panels! It's got "patina" with fur now.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
bgwss

Post by bgwss »

Wow glad to hear the rest of the story! :D
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

So, what was your passenger's response to the "experience"?