New seven tank average MPG, 170i

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

GregsBuddy

New seven tank average MPG, 170i

Post by GregsBuddy »

Hello,
The last time I did this average it was over a five tank average and it came out to 105 MPG.
This new average came out to 102 MPG.
I know the odometer is optimistic by some small percent.
I ride mostly on flats at steady speed in warm, dry weather. I probably averaging ~45 MPH, practive smooth throttle control and use premium gas. I love corners and don't tend to use the brakes much. I maintain ~40 PSI tire pressure and good maintenance schedule on oil changes, filter cleaning, etc. Tire pressure is noticeable less drag and creates a rougher ride with handling improved by my seat-of-the-pants feeling.
'09 Yamaha TMAX Large sport scoot.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

That's great mileage. My 2008 buddy averages 80 mph. 40 psi seems high, but maybe the 170 has different tires.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Sorry. I meant my Buddy 125 gets about 80 mpg.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

Try the air pressure.
iwannascoot

Post by iwannascoot »

I now have 10 fill ups and 85.2mpg. I have never gotten 100mpg yet.

Billy
scootERIK

Post by scootERIK »

GregsBuddy wrote:Try the air pressure.
I've tried a lot of different tire pressures and I don't like to go over 29 psi in the front and 33 psi in the rear. I find the best handling is at ~25-27 psi in the front and ~29-31 psi in the rear. I get too much "chatter" at higher pressures.

As for mileage I get ~85-100 mpg(not corrected for odometer inaccuracy.) Best I got was doing some slow speed testing last year. When I never went over 45 bmph and was easy on the gas I got between 110-126 mpg. Worst tank ever was under 75 mpg going WFO the whole tank. I change the oil ever 1500 miles, otherwise I don't do much for maintenance.
MYSCTR

Re: New seven tank average MPG, 170i

Post by MYSCTR »

GregsBuddy wrote:... I maintain ~40 PSI tire pressure and good maintenance schedule... Tire pressure is noticeable less drag and creates a rougher ride with handling improved by my seat-of-the-pants feeling.
Track when you will need to change the back tire at this pressure then compare the cost to gas savings and see if it is worth the rougher ride. 40 psi is very high for the Buddy.
skipper20

Re: New seven tank average MPG, 170i

Post by skipper20 »

GregsBuddy wrote:Hello,
The last time I did this average it was over a five tank average and it came out to 105 MPG.
This new average came out to 102 MPG.
I know the odometer is optimistic by some small percent.
I ride mostly on flats at steady speed in warm, dry weather. I probably averaging ~45 MPH, practive smooth throttle control and use premium gas. I love corners and don't tend to use the brakes much. I maintain ~40 PSI tire pressure and good maintenance schedule on oil changes, filter cleaning, etc. Tire pressure is noticeable less drag and creates a rougher ride with handling improved by my seat-of-the-pants feeling.
IMHO you're risking a blowout at 40 psi. Unless you enjoy riding on the ragged edge and promoting big numbers, I'd drop the pressure to 28-30 and be happy with 75-80 mpg.

Bill in Seattle
'14 170i Hooligan Matte Green
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The tire still has flat wear on the OD which is an indicator that the tire pressure is not too high. The ride is rougher and it rails beautifully around corners, where I usually leave close followers behind. I have replaced the shock with aftermarket which improved the ride quite a bit. Love this scoot' in the twisties.
The OEM replacement Conti's on my scoot' will/do easily handle the pressure.
Pressure is not an issue until it's very high. It's temperature that causes most failures due to carcass flexing and delamination.
I don't ride very often above 60 MPH indicated. If you're riding above that speed, lower mileage is to be expected. No surprise. Air and mechanical friction increase at the square of speed. Fun!
issue31

Shock

Post by issue31 »

Greg : what after market shock did you use on your buddy 170? Do not have the best roads here in minn, and was looking for something better. Thanks. Issue31
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

The YSS and I'm preparing to purchase a couple more for my new BV350 as well.
Argee

WOT = 75 mpg, 55 = 85 mpg

Post by Argee »

I experimented multiple times over 24 fill-ups at going wide-open to work, versus keeping at the speed limit. I lose about 10 mpg for that extra 7 mph.[/img]
Attachments
Budyy170impg-x24.JPG
Budyy170impg-x24.JPG (39.52 KiB) Viewed 1442 times
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

You guys are getting great mileage compared to what I'm seeing. I'm averaging around 47 mpg. Most of my riding consists of a lot of stop and go traffic and I average around 35 - 40 mph when I'm moving. A few factors are probably contributing to my poor mpg: using oversized (width) front and rear tires, 183cc engine, and a 30mm carb. I suppose my riding style plays a part in it, too. :)
Oh well, at least 47 mpg is better than what my get-to-work GMC van gets.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

My buddy 125 gets around 80 mpg. Their is a small sign riveted to the scooter that says tire pressure should be 30 psi front and back.
k1dude

Post by k1dude »

ucandoit wrote:My buddy 125 gets around 80 mpg. Their is a small sign riveted to the scooter that says tire pressure should be 30 psi front and back.
That's what mine gets. But, it's lots of stop and go. I also ride WOT a lot.

Once I did a ride with very few stops and it was all 25 to 40 mph. I got 113 mpg that tank!

So it totally depends on how you ride.
GregsBuddy

Post by GregsBuddy »

City riding with many stop/go is a gas drinker.
Running around San Francisco's mountains with a modified scoot' is bound to use more fuel, but be great fun. 8)