Failed petcock

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

ucandoit

Failed petcock

Post by ucandoit »

Went to winterize my scooter today by draining the carb. and the gas just kept flowing out. I wasn't surprised because the petcock fails often. I replaced the original, but the new one also fails. (When I replaced the original, I could not get the filter tube out of the gas tank so left it in place and just installed the new petcock part. I don't think that should be an issue.)

To drain the carb. I had to remove the fuel line from the carb., and kink it off. It will sit like that all winter. I was then able to drain the carb.

Have others had chronic problems with the petcock on the scooter?

I'm not comfortable with just the float holding back gas and am thinking of installing a small lawnmower type manual fuel shutoff valve in the fuel line. It will be hard to access, however. I don't think I can find a manual petcock that would replace the Buddy original. I wish I could.

If I add the shut off valve, can I leave the vacuum line in place? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

The PGO fuel tap is a pretty sturdy device. You are correct, you can't count on the carb float to stop fuel flow.

Give this one a try:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FUEL-tank-mount ... 2O&vxp=mtr
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

I've had the same problem withmy Roughhouse 50, not being able to drain the carb or run it dry because the vacuum activated petcock keeps the gas flowing.

I've also wondered about adding a valve on the fuel line but leaving the vacuum line on for functionality. The only time I would turn the valve off would be when I wanted to run the carb dry or when I wanted to trailer the Roughhouse.

Thoughts, anyone?
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You can put one of these in line: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-4-Inline-Fuel ... SwzJ5XbIq4

Might have to remove the pet carrier to shut if off and on, but it would just be seasonal.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

DeeDee. I actually have another new petcock for the Buddy, like the one you listed, so will install it come Spring. I'm just losing hope that it will work.
If it doesn't work, I'll install the Briggs 1/4" shut off valve. For sure will have to remove the pet carrier to access it.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have had no problems with the petcock in our 2007 Buddy 125 - that would be 9 years of use. We ride our scooters more or less year round so I do not drain the carb. If I did, an in-line manual shutoff would seem like a reasonable modification.
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

I think most Buddy owners don't have problems with the petcock so I'm wondering if something else is going on with mine. I can't think of what it might be. If the vacuum line wasn't working, the petcock should close off the fuel. I'll install a new petcock come Spring. As I mentioned, I'm not able to get the old little filter, that attaches to the petcock, out of the gas tank and I don't want to break it off, so I've left the old one in place. Maybe that is the issue.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

I doubt your in tank filter is your problem. Once you get a full tank of gas, the liquid sloshing around will clear any debris on that screen. It's a fine mesh screen shaped like a cylinder, about 2" tall and 1/4" in diameter.
If I understand you correctly, your petcock flows fuel even when the scooter is not running? You have replaced the petcock with another, and it still does the same?
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

DeeDee. Yes. Exactly.
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

You have two lines attached to the petcock. One is out going to the fuel filter and eventually the carb. The other is a vacuum line coming off the manifold.

1. Disconnect the fuel out hose either at the petcock or the carb, scooter is off. You still have strong flow?

2. Now remove the vacuum hose either at the petcock or the manifold. Is flow the same?

What replacement petcock did you use?
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

DeeDee. I replaced the original with a PGO Auto Cock Assy. Model: CS-125D. Part No: P6523000000. should be the original part.

It's freezing here, right now, and I have the fuel line disconnected from the carb. and kinked off and clamped for winter storage. Just as I had to do last Fall. The gas tank is full.

During the warmer months, I did test the petcock. Sometimes, with the motor off, the petcock worked, and no fuel would flow when I removed the fuel line from the carb. When I'd suck on the vacuum line, the fuel would flow, as it's suppose to. I didn't think to remove the vacuum line when I went to drain the carb. this Fall. Maybe that would have made a difference, but I'm guessing that the petcock diaphragm just sticks at times. When spring comes I'll investigate it more and will replace the petcock with yet another new one. I've had petcock trouble since I bought this scooter (used) with 3000 miles on it. It baffles me.
I really want to be able to trust the petcock, as I don't want fuel leaking into the cylinder. A mechanic at scooterville told me that when he readies scooters for storage sometimes the diaphragm has stuck open and he heats the petcock or hits the petcock with a wrench or something. I can't recall. I tried that and it didn't work for me last Fall.
Drew

Post by Drew »

I have been having the exact same problem. Like you, I replaced the petcock and the new one did the exact same thing. I replaced the fuel line, the fuel filter, cleaned the carb, and none of those things made a difference. I finally gave up and resorted to using a small spring-loaded hand clamp on the fuel line when I stop. It's not the most elegant solution but it works. A few times I have forgotten to take it off. I only got about a quarter mile down the road before it stalled. I think of it as a theft prevention feature. :D
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Drew. That spring clamp is a good idea. Does it completely shut off the fuel? Would you send a photo of the clamp, or a good description of it, so that I can get one?
I really like the idea of a simple clamp on the fuel line. That would be more accessible than a shutoff valve in the fuel line.
Drew

Post by Drew »

Here are the pics of the clamp. Sorry it took me so long to respond. Let me know if you have any questions.
Attachments
Clamp1.jpeg
Clamp1.jpeg (87.52 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
Clamp.jpeg
Clamp.jpeg (66.43 KiB) Viewed 1918 times
ucandoit

Post by ucandoit »

Thanks Drew. The photos helped. I can get a clamp like that. They are pretty strong. Thanks.
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Kudos! Thanks for the hand clamp idea. That'd really help when trailering the Roughhouse and fuel keeps getting sucked into the carb.
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.