Buddy 125 timing after big bore install

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

paracer

Buddy 125 timing after big bore install

Post by paracer »

Suppose someone installed a big bore kit on their 125 and accidentally had the cam one tooth off on the sprocket. Advanced or retarded, could be either way.

Would the engine run, albeit down on power and giving symptoms of the carb feeling like it's way off?
RoaringTodd

Post by RoaringTodd »

Uh-oh....
Just because I am Deaf ... does not mean I can't roar.
paracer

Post by paracer »

I'm kinda thinking out loud by posting here on the forum. :) I love working on stuff. This kind of thing is what I live for.

I'm going to pop the valve cover off on Saturday morning and have a look. If it's not right, I just have to pull the tensioner, loosen the rockers, and slip the chain over a link. It will also give me a chance to double check the valve clearances while I'm in there.

I remember seeing that the cam sprocket looked right, but I have a small amount of doubt that the flywheel mark might not have been right.

I posted this tread this morning before riding in to work. After riding in to work this morning, I'm not so sure I did install the cam wrong. While the engine was choked it ran well enough to cast doubt on the timing being an issue.
viney266

Post by viney266 »

yes, it would run, be grumpy to start and slow, but it will run.
Speed is only a matter of money...How fast do you want to go?
paracer

Post by paracer »

hmmm. I will check, shouldn't take too long. Then I will be riding out to Carlisle probably by noon or so.

The bike does start right away. Never an issue there. I am kinda expecting to find that the timing is right at this point.
paracer

Post by paracer »

And the verdict is... timing is fine.

The bike just needs a whole lot more fuel. That's a good thing. :)