Cold Day to Ride and Still Diggin Cheap Gas

The spirited black sheep of the Genuine lineup

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

R50Rider

Cold Day to Ride and Still Diggin Cheap Gas

Post by R50Rider »

Living up here in New England one can observe the active riding population beginning to thin out with the onslaught of Winter. The trees are no longer full of color to meditate on and a lot of the seasonal destinations have closed. When you do see someone on a scooter or motorcycle this time of year you "KNOW" they aren't just an enthusiast. They either totally enjoy the riding culture or depend on it for their daily transportation for whatever reason(s).

This morning I was out riding and the temps were around 27 degrees F.. I didn't see one other scooter or motorcycle on the road. Granted it was only about a 6 mile ride but the dog walkers and joggers were out doing their thing. As an added note the coldest weather I've ever ridden in was 5 degrees F. below zero. . .before wind chill. . .before I was 21, and yes it was crazy.

Later on as the temps were approaching freezing (which happened to be a good thing at the time) I went out again and actually saw one biker. Not an HD, and not a Cruiser, and not a Rice Rocket. . .definitely a standard machine which appeared to be a parallel twin and not very new. It was some distance away and I could only get a glimpse but it was good to see another rider who wasn't afraid to be a little uncomfortable.

There are places in this country, and the world for that matter, where riding a motorcycle or scooter in the Winter is just an every day common site. And in others it's frowned upon either because it may be unsafe (OMG we certainly can't be unsafe), uncomfortable, or inconvenient. Sometimes I feel like that mouse portrayed in those posters depicting the "Last Act of Defiance" and somehow I find that refreshing.

When the weather is cold and bold, riding on a 49cc machine (or anything on two wheels with a motor for that matter) continues to be a real thrill for me. Not seeing the usual cast of "Weekend Road Warriors" or "Rice Burners" parading in formation does make me wonder though if all that will change if gas climbs to over $4.00 bills a gallon again.

In the mean time I'll make good use of my RH and Full Face Helmet and lawn mower gas can. . . :atgatt: