Slider? Roller?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

skipper20

Slider? Roller?

Post by skipper20 »

What's the difference or are they one and the same? Whichever it is, what function do they perform?

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)
skully93

Post by skully93 »

not to be pedantic, but when these first thit the scene, some folks did some wonderful writeups on this. Do some searching in the tech forum you'll find a wonder.

I personally use 11g in my 150 and they are amazing.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

This really has to start with how a scooter CVT works. Here is a good discussion of that.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-cvt-p ... mprove-it-

Then you can move on to discussing the effect of different roller weights and how sliders differ from conventional rollers.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

This is a Union Materials video, bode it does do a decent job of explaining the difference:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yxcQGmT8EJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Several people go with lighter sliders than the original rollers. I went with 18gr sliders when replacing my original 17.5gr rollers. I left the stock spring, so it did move my shift point earlier, but it moved it from the engine's horsepower peak to it's torque peak (7000rpm to 6250rpm), so my off-the line acceleration improved and I felt no need to compensate with a stiffer torque spring.

I've put sliders in two of a friend's Helixes and he saw improved acceleration too. The standard dimension for a Helix roller is 23x18, so I tried sliders for a Big Ruckus which are 24x18. His top speed has improved from 70mph to 74mph.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
DeeDee

Post by DeeDee »

Thanks for sharing that link Dooglas. Explains everything you need to know, all in one place! I have not seen that before.
skipper20

Post by skipper20 »

Dooglas wrote:This really has to start with how a scooter CVT works. Here is a good discussion of that.

http://modernvespa.com/forum/wiki-cvt-p ... mprove-it-

Then you can move on to discussing the effect of different roller weights and how sliders differ from conventional rollers.
Thanks for that link. It explains a lot that I didn't know including going with lighter rollers when installing a performance exhaust. The author reasons that since the performance exhaust breathes better and takes the usable power band higher up the rev range, using lighter rollers allows the engine to rev up easier to reach that power range more effectively. Have any of you done this and if so, did you experience an improvement?

Bill in Seattle but currently wintering in Tucson
'15 170i Hooligan Titanium (AZ scoot)