Does Blur have a fuel solenoid?

All things Genuine Blur

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

RickWaza

Does Blur have a fuel solenoid?

Post by RickWaza »

My Blur (2013 220i) wouldn't start this morning after sitting for about 2 weeks (grrr...rain). It would crank and crank, but wouldn't catch. I think there's a short or something because the cluster would blink off when I hit the starter. I found an old thread about a similar electrical problem that was cured by pulling apart a bunch of connections and cleaning and reseating them. That could solve the electrical glitch, but I don't know if that would cause it to not start. Is there some fuel cutoff or something that could be not opening that would cause it to not start? The battery seemed OK, because it cranked like a champ for a while. Any other ideas of what I should chase down? I didn't smell any fuel, but I guess it could be not getting spark. Is there an easy way to check that?

Thanks for advice.

Rick
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Your 220i has a fuel pump that requires power. This is one of the reasons why most fuel injected bikes don't have a kickstarter, not enough power during a kickstart to get the fuel pump working. For your particular issue, I would first suspect a weak battery. It may have enough power to crank the engine over, but the starter motor is sucking so much power that the battery cannot supply enough amperes for both the starter motor and the fuel pump (and ECU). A check with a voltmeter won't tell you much since it can't test the load carrying capability of the battery. Try jump starting it with a car battery (car engine off). If it starts OK, then there you have it. Strap a car battery to your scoot. Just kidding, time for a new battery.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
chickdr

Post by chickdr »

Completely concur with the above poster as I had a similar situation. Batteries don't last long on the SS220i. I am on my third already. You can get them for $30 bucks on Amazon.
RickWaza

Post by RickWaza »

Yup. You nailed it in one. I hooked it to the car and it fired right up. I ordered the battery you linked in another thread. Thanks for the info!

Gonna be a bit bigger job, though. I dropped one of the battery post screws down in well behind the battery. I can't see it, so I don't know how much plastic I'll need to pull off to get at it.

Engineers, making 5 minute jobs take 2 hours since 1976!
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

No worries, the new battery will come with battery post screws.
Glad you got your problem figured out so easily.
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.