Avon tires, anyone? Or Michelin Power Pure?

Discussion of the Genuine Buddy, Hooligan, Black Jack and other topics, both scooter related and not

Moderator: Modern Buddy Staff

babblefish

Avon tires, anyone? Or Michelin Power Pure?

Post by babblefish »

More specifically, the Avon AM63 Viper Stryke scooter tires. Does anyone have experience with these? My priority is handling performance over longevity. Any thoughts? The reason I'm looking at these is because they are one of the very few companies that have the sizes I want for the front/rear of my Blur.
I would much rather have the Michelin City Grip tires, but they don't make the front tire in the size I want. I'd have to use a 130/70-13 intended for the rear as a front tire, but I'm not sure it will clear the fender as the 130/60-13 currently being used just barely clears.

Front: 120/70-13, slightly taller profile than stock to help correct speedo error (at the expense of throwing the odometer reading off).

Rear: 130/70-13, again, slightly taller profile, but this time to help get the scoot to a higher top speed.

Edit: Just found the Michelin Power Pure SC tires, anyone with any experience with these?
Attachments
Avon Viper Stryke
Avon Viper Stryke
avon viper tires.jpg (8.18 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Michelin Power Pure
Michelin Power Pure
michelin power pure.jpg (8.17 KiB) Viewed 527 times
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.
az_slynch

Post by az_slynch »

I've got 5K on Power Pures. Very nice tire with lots of grip. Figuring out the proper inflation for the Yager was a bit of trial and error, but it rides great with 26psi up front and 29psi out back.

Only caution is that you check pressures cold and allow for ~3 psi of change once they come up to temp. I originally put 35psi cold in the rear and the dual compound started to delaminate within 1K. My current settings were derived from the settings I'd found listed on Michelin's website for the Grandvista 250.
At what point does a hobby become an addiction? I'm uncertain, but after the twelfth scooter, it sorta feels like the latter...

Seriously...I've lost count...

Seven mopeds ...that's still manageable...
HowHH

Post by HowHH »

On my Burgman 400 I have about 2k on a Michelin Power Pure SC (rear tire). Turns in more easily that the stock Bridgestone Hoop. Nice grip in dry and wet. Also grips better than the Hoops on those nasty white crosswalk markings and other road graphics. When the front tire is ready I'm planning on switching over to a Michelin PP there as well.
Dooglas

Post by Dooglas »

I have Power Pures on my Aprilia. A good grippy compound and tread. I don't think they will last as long as a set of City Grips but they seem like a good performance tire.
babblefish

Post by babblefish »

Thanks much for the feedback and insights. Glad to hear the Power Pures are good since I like Michelin tires. I have them on both my cars and currently on the scoot (different model that's no longer available).
Some people can break a crowbar in a sandbox.